Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Osprey Books!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Osprey Books!
    Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 14:13
You know it works well, if we conspire to save money by listing/asking which Osprey books are worth getting and which arent.  I have gotten alot of good books and not gotten ones which arent so good merely by conversing online with Temujin so I think we could all benefit from asking if so and so book is good then someone who has it can respond!  If people end up actually using this thread we could even sticky it!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 14:19
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 15:30
heh, I have by now around 60 books about pre-firearms armies and napoleonic armies.
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 08:15
I would be more than willing to list the Osprey titles which are good, and those which are not-so-good (and, unfortunately, the not-so-good ones are becoming more common).
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 11:22
yes, please go on then.
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 19:49

Hmm, how do you guys feel about the New Kingdom Egypt Osprey book?  Is it worth the money?

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 11:05
I would say yes. haven't read it yet, but it's still better than the ancient armies of the middle east one.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 13:05

*bump for L_D*

I hope you have soem osprey books about Medieval Europe, especially England and the Crusades, because as of now I'm not sure which ones are better, becasue there are so much and many include armies already covered in other books.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 19:59

dontg et plains wars, and yes Anew kingdom egypt rocks

I also just got nedieval chinese armies 1250-1520

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 21:03
Originally posted by Temujin

*bump for L_D*

I hope you have soem osprey books about Medieval Europe, especially England and the Crusades, because as of now I'm not sure which ones are better, becasue there are so much and many include armies already covered in other books.

All of the ones written by David Nicolle are excellent, IMO.  In addition to his Osprey titles, his Medieval Warfare Sourcebook Vols. 1 and 2 are definite must-haves.

An example of a problematic Osprey title would be the Conquistador 1492-1550 by John Pohl (in the "Warrior" series).  Pohl is a research archeologist from UCLA, and yet he cannot even get basic details correct.  For example, when discussing the development of the Spanish Army, he briefly covers other European forces, and he defines the term landsknecht as "Swiss pikeman".  Anyone who is even vaguely familiar with the history of the Swiss and Germans knows how incorrect this definition is. 

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 11:43
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

All of the ones written by David Nicolle are excellent, IMO. 

I agree!

In addition to his Osprey titles, his Medieval Warfare Sourcebook Vols. 1 and 2 are definite must-haves.

what do they include?

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 16:33

I'll go ahead and recommend the Spartan Army Osprey book(Elite series).  If you have put some study into the Spartan army before reading this, I think you'll be pretty pleased with the cavalry section in the book, but the ret should just be a quick review(save for maybe some of the author's views on cuirass usage).  If you are completely new to the Spartan army, then you should get a good deal of info from this.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 17:31

I'll go ahead and recommend the Spartan Army Osprey book(Elite series). 

Well,i have read  only one book by Nick Secunda (not the Osprey series)  but it was really interesting, however Ospreys are a "little" to expensive for me..

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 19:38

Originally posted by TJK

Well,i have read  only one book by Nick Secunda (not the Osprey series)  but it was really interesting, however Ospreys are a "little" to expensive for me..

Well, Temujin pointed out to me that Sekunda can be a bit...controversial.  I didn't notice anything too bad in the Spartan book, though his thoughts on mass decline in cuirass usage I found to be a bit iffy.

I'm curious, TJK, you read any of Richard Brzezinski's Osprey publishings(I figured you might've since he seems to primarily write on Polish armies)?  If so, would you receommend his books?

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 20:27
I disliked the one about the Crimean War, but I loved the one about Byzantium.  I'd highly recommend the latter.
Member of IAEA
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 14:49

yes, Osprey books are a bit expensive compared to the text, it's due to the colour plates. Nick sekudna is indeed controversial, i actually found his Elite-series book on the Persians horrible, it's not worth it (not even the plates which are also the ugliest ever, sometimes i think they messed the book intentionally)

lannes, I ahve all his osprey books and they're definately worth it.

Genghis, which oen is it? i recently bought two MaA on them and they're both definately worth it (haven't read them yet though...)

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:21

I'm curious, TJK, you read any of Richard Brzezinski's Osprey publishings(I figured you might've since he seems to primarily write on Polish armies)?  If so, would you receommend his books?

Unfortunately I haven't ..in fact I have many books about polish army of XVII century wrote by most respectable polish scholars (as Wimmer, Plewczyski and Nowak) thus I never looking for Brzeziski's works on this subcject - only his work I have read is about Swedish army (quite good)

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 11:20

I have El Cid and the Reconquista, The Age of Charlemagne, The Armies of Alexander the Great, The Moors and the Islamic West, and The Portuguese Army of the Napoleonic Wars (3). So far, I've only been slightly dissapointed by the Portuguese Army one. The other ones were illustrated by Angus McBride, so I have no problems with them.

BTW, I just ordered The Thracians; did I make a faux pas? In other words, is it any good? 

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 11:58

it's one of my favourites actually...

BTW, can you tell me what plates the Age of Charlemagne includes?

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 13:14

Originally posted by Temujin

BTW, can you tell me what plates the Age of Charlemagne includes?

I'll do my best. The first one you can see on the cover of Osprey's new book, The Carolingian Cavalryman (check out the website). A Frank in mail, is threatening a Lombard (wearing lamellar armour) at spearpoint, while an unarmored Frank is on a horse. Second plate shows a scene from 800-850. You see a 'scola' in scale armor (the type you see in Carolingian illustrations), a man in pathetic gear with a dog, and an armorican wearing mail (not too different from a norman knight). The next plate shows a scene from the same period, and has an Avar (this one looks good), a Saxon, and a Slav. Next comes Charlemagne himself, then a papal guard (neither of these two are wearing armor), and a mounted infantryman (wearing armor) from the Spanish march (again, not too different from a norman knight; 'cept he's barefoot). Next comes a plate that shows a scene from 850-950. It's on the cover of the Osprey Book itself. Then you see an Italian cavalryman (called gastald wearing a mail hauberk and a conic helmet without nasal bar), an Italian peasant armed with knife and cudgel, duking it out with a North African archer/fiend; scene depicts action from 875-975 (you can see part of this scene in the back cover of the book). The next scene (900-975) has a Magyar in it, carefully hiding from a German knight and an armed peasant. Last but not least, you have a merry scene, dating from 950-1000, located near a castle, of a knight (not much different from a norman, except his helmet has no nasal bar, and his hauberk is splitted at the side of the hip) dragging behind him a rebelious slav (in a nice suit of mail, puttees, and wearing a nice 'eastern' helmet). In the foreground, you see another knight playing the violin, while his strumpet and bastard are playing other instruments (you can see part of this in the back cover of the book).

Well, that's the best I could do without spoiling the fun of discovery. Hope I didn't spoil it for anyone.

Or did you want me to reveal something else?

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>