Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is a cult?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a cult?
    Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 09:25
I am so confused  What is the meaning of a cult? or what is a cult? I see that word used everywhere and don't know what it is.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 10:28
To me when I hear it it's usually a step before it becomes a accepted religion or a religion that is never is accepted and deemed strange for it's ways. Atleast thats how I always hear it used.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
jfmff View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jfmff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 15:05
I often hear it with the meaning of a spiritual group that is malicious or a spiritual group in which its leaders are malicious (or crazy). Anyway see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

Edited by jfmff
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 17:10
Cult, sect, church, religion are all the same thing. Still they are used differently: cult is often used in the sense of "destructive cult", a term implying that they brainwash you and that they are after your money and/or workforce.

True that all religions are on that... but it usually means more than the average church.

Some cults that are legal in the USA are ilegal in most parts of Europe, because they are considered destructive cults (for instance Scientology).

It's curious how the terms change with language: in Spanish the term used is usually "secta" (sect), while "culto" (cult) is rarely used at all, except by the Roma to refer to their evangelical communities.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 00:07
     The shortest way to answer your question:

A cult is a religion with no political power.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 04:31

If it has been around for a few thousand years and has large number of follower that is a reliogion.

If it is newer or it has less follower today ( even if it was big at some point before) it is a cult.

There are quite a few mythologies with very similar concepts one is called a cult the other a religion

arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 04:47
Cult = Worshipping. The object doesn't matter. You can create cult of everything you wish.
arsenka
 Post Reply Post Reply