Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSomething strange about Bollywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something strange about Bollywood
    Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 14:37
I rarely saw any dravidian-looking actor/actress in the Bollywood industry.  Most of the actor/actress are olive to light skin and which makes them more resemble Persian or Arabs. I have a few time in my life run into any light-skin Indian. Most of them are very dark skin as far as I am concerned. I know Indian society  is still running in caste system. But is India holding prejudice against darker skin people?

Edited by Killabee
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 15:04
South Indians generally have darker complexions.  The farther north you go, the lighter the skin color gets, especially in the Punjab region.  And as far as I know, the caste system still exists in some parts of India, and I think (but I may be wrong) most noticeably in the south.

According to one of my professors, who is an Indian, the caste system still exists, obscurely, to this day.  In her own words, "As harsh and shocking as this may sound; this system works, and works well.  The son of a soldier will always be a soldier, and the son of a servant will always be a servant.  We'll never run of the arms and legs."

By arms and legs, my professor was using the Purusha-sakta example from the Rigveda.  Purusha is a giant man, whose body was dismembered by the gods, so that "his mouth became the Brahmin; his arms were made into the Warrior, his thighs the People, and from his feet the servants were born.

The moon was born from his mind; from his eye the sun was born.  Indra and Agni came from his mouth, and from his vital breath the Wind was born."  (Ch. 10; v. 129)
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 15:25
Interesting. I have visited a great deal of Indian restaurants and most of the owners and servers were punjabi speakers. They too , have dark complexion.

Edited by Killabee
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 19:59

Are you Indian? How'd you know they speak Punjabi? A lot of Indian restaurants are Bangladeshi, Indian or Pakistani, and depending on where you live, will determine how much of each you'll get. Punjabi isnt far off Urdu, and most people will speak it to each other, even Bengalis since they can all understand it. 

Your observation is probably correct though, I think the majority of top stars there are lighter skinned, though Punjabis are not so dark generally. There's some dark ones and some light ones (when I say light I mean mediterranean lightness, and when I say dark, I mean south Indian). Perhaps there's an actor caste..

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 05:39

They have their own film industry. Thats the main reason. East India has it's own and so does the south. Bollywood is generally focused around Mumbai (Bombay -----Hollywood-----B-ollywood=====> Bollywood)

Caste has got very little to do with this. It's more families.  For example, if you are a member of the Bachan family your in. Likewise with the Kapoors, and Shah Rukh Khan's children will be accepted as actors (even if they are crap).

Caste may be bigger in the countryside, but in cities people rarely care about it. It's more "is your family from banglapur? im from banglapur! hey baby, wanting you to go out and drink some lassi's?"

You do get actresses who are dark though. but these tend to be newer actresses who don't mind striping down in the film sense.

In general, lighter people are found more attractive, not becasue of caste, but for the same reason tanned people are found attractive in western cultures.

Actually it was until the last century that in England fairer people were found more attractive. It wasn't till the bikini came through that being tanned came in.

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 14:15
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

Are you Indian? How'd you know they speak Punjabi? A lot of Indian restaurants are Bangladeshi, Indian or Pakistani, and depending on where you live, will determine how much of each you'll get. Punjabi isnt far off Urdu, and most people will speak it to each other, even Bengalis since they can all understand it. 

Your observation is probably correct though, I think the majority of top stars there are lighter skinned, though Punjabis are not so dark generally. There's some dark ones and some light ones (when I say light I mean mediterranean lightness, and when I say dark, I mean south Indian). Perhaps there's an actor caste..

No, I am not Indian. But I just happen to like to chat with people.  They told me they are from the Punjab in Norhern India.

Edited by Killabee
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 14:20
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

They have their own film industry. Thats the main reason. East India has it's own and so does the south. Bollywood is generally focused around Mumbai (Bombay -----Hollywood-----B-ollywood=====> Bollywood)

Caste has got very little to do with this. It's more families.  For example, if you are a member of the Bachan family your in. Likewise with the Kapoors, and Shah Rukh Khan's children will be accepted as actors (even if they are crap).

Caste may be bigger in the countryside, but in cities people rarely care about it. It's more "is your family from banglapur? im from banglapur! hey baby, wanting you to go out and drink some lassi's?"

You do get actresses who are dark though. but these tend to be newer actresses who don't mind striping down in the film sense.

In general, lighter people are found more attractive, not becasue of caste, but for the same reason tanned people are found attractive in western cultures.

Actually it was until the last century that in England fairer people were found more attractive. It wasn't till the bikini came through that being tanned came in.

Thanks for the answer.

It reminds me of the scene in the movie "Bent lt like Beckham" in which the mother does not want her daughter to play soccer due to sun exposure and  consequently it will darken her skin complexion and it is not considered beauty in the eye of Indian.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 14:29

This is an Indian version of what some sociologists call "colourism", something that is like an open secret in the Black community - the lighter your skin colour, the "better" you get treated even (or especially) by members of your own community.  

It's so pathetic.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 14:17

I like Bollywood Movies.

Edited by ChawwaniKiChaa
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 20:59
Originally posted by ChawwaniKiChaa

I like Bollywood Movies.

They definitively don't look representative of Indian population but rather they seem a Mediterranean type selected sample. I doubt they even represent the skin tone or complexion of the majority of the people of Mumbay...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 21:07
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by ChawwaniKiChaa

I like Bollywood Movies.

They definitively don't look representative of Indian population but rather they seem a Mediterranean type selected sample. I doubt they even represent the skin tone or complexion of the majority of the people of Mumbay...

actually, u'd be surprised. i personally know several indians much lighter in complexion than those in the picture. and while the main actor and all actresses are probably very heavily make-uped (word?), the indian males to the left and right are very close.

AthaNnikIcHaA View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 05:52

I also like Bollywood Movies.

Some of my favourite actors.

Johnny Lever

Shakti Kapoor

Ajay Devgan

Kashmira Shah

Ria Sen

Nasiruddin Shah

Baingan Khaa Lo Baingan
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:26

Baingan Khaa Lo Baingan
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 10:02
Yeah, most Indian resturaunts are actualy run by Bangladeshis for some reason (even in the Netherlands, where most south-Asian types migrated there via Suriname, the resturants are overwelming run by recent Bangladeshi immigrants). Next most likely owner in my experience is Tamil.
Also n the UK alot of cornershops are run by Gujaratis for some reason. Intresting that patterns like that should emerge.

One of the whitest people i've ever met was Punjabi, and i'm taking real cream white here, not the pinkish to light-beige Euro variety.

Incidently, what exactly is 'Mollywood' and 'Lollywood'?
Arrrgh!!"
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 10:20

Mollywood-S Indian Movie Industry {Madras-now Chennai}.

Lollywood-Pakistani film Industry {Lahore}.

http://www.world.of.lollywood.fws1.com/

LITERAL MEANING OF PAKISTAN

According to the language of the people
of this region, the term "Pak" has a very
special meaning. It means something
very fair or something free from any
evil. The literal meaning of Pakistan
is " THE LAND OF FAIR PEOPLE ",
and the literal meaning of Pakis is
"FAIR PEOPLE". In the same way,
Paki means "FAIR PERSON".

Baingan Khaa Lo Baingan
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 16:18
Originally posted by AlokaParyetra

actually, u'd be surprised. i personally know several indians much lighter in complexion than those in the picture. and while the main actor and all actresses are probably very heavily make-uped (word?), the indian males to the left and right are very close.

I don't say that those types are not Indian, I say that they don't seem to represent the complexion and appearence of the majority of Indians, even of the majority of NW Indians.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 16:53
Originally posted by AthaNnikIcHaA

Mollywood-S Indian Movie Industry {Madras-now Chennai}.

Lollywood-Pakistani film Industry {Lahore}.

LITERAL MEANING OF PAKISTAN

According to the language of the people
of this region, the term "Pak" has a very
special meaning. It means something
very fair or something free from any
evil. The literal meaning of Pakistan
is " THE LAND OF FAIR PEOPLE ",
and the literal meaning of Pakis is
"FAIR PEOPLE". In the same way,
Paki means "FAIR PERSON".

From my understanding, Paki does not refer to "fair" but rather to pure. It is also an acronym for Punjab, Afghan, Kashmir, Indus; and the "stan" comes from Baluchistan, so the name indicates the major regions of Pakistan.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 19:54

I don't say that those types are not Indian, I say that they don't seem to represent the complexion and appearence of the majority of Indians, even of the majority of NW Indians.

That's right. I live in California, US where there is large population of Indian. There is a city name Artesia and it is also known as "Little India" because of half of the population are Indian or Indian-descent. I have been there many times.  Frankly speaking, so far I have never rubbed up against any Indian with the facial feature and skin complexion as it depicted in the poster. The characters in the poster do show more resemblance to Persian or Arab  or even Turk than the typical Indian.

Edited by Killabee
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 22:17

Punjabis I've known (and it's been quite a few) have had a skin complexion like those in the picture (some have been lighter, some darker), but to say their skin colour is not standard for Punjabis is ridiculous. They look very much Punjabi to me. Yes, they're more fitter, but hey, Brad Pitt doesnt resemble all Americans. 

One on the far left probably isnt standard Punjabi, but even that can be found in the Punjab.

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 22:38
Originally posted by Killabee

That's right. I live in California, US where there is large population of Indian. There is a city name Artesia and it is also known as "Little India" because of half of the population are Indian or Indian-descent. I have been there many times.  Frankly speaking, so far I have never rubbed up against any Indian with the facial feature and skin complexion as it depicted in the poster. The characters in the poster do show more resemblance to Persian or Arab  or even Turk than the typical Indian.

The level of discussion is deteriorating all the time  on these boards.

Because you havent come across them doesnt mean they dont exist!!!

It just highlights your lack of insight on the topic.

Its like Michael jackson and family touring India, and Indians deducing that all Americans must be black!

Those Indians are one type of Indians, but not the only type.

There are many other types of Indians!

There are certainly HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS more light skined  people in India then Iran(i.e. ahmednejad or fairer), of this there is NO DOUBT AT ALL.(Iran popn. is only 70mil.---India 1.4billion). If we talk about percentages, then it is a different question, and maybe 50% is close to the mark?

the above actors do look north indian though.

South India has its own film Industry.

India has been considered amongst the most hetrogenous countries in the world. You should look up the meaning of this word.

ridiculously uninformed comments coming through recently!

everyone seems an expert on India, but only neighbours, Pakistan or ex-colonial British seem to know a thing about India.

People should remember it is much more than a country like Iran or spain etc. Its almost an entire world by itself(infact 1/5 of the world popn.)

I know the american president made the following comments

"Do you have black people in Brazil, too?"

Californians should aspire to being more informed then that, about the world.

This whole topic is just getting silly.

Edited by amir khan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>