Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sun Tzu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sun Tzu
    Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 12:52

I wonder if any of you have read Sun Tzu book , the Art of War.

I have read a  child version or a shorten, abbreviate version of the original.

The original version wasn't available.  I'm calling it a "Child version " becasue

structre of the text was presented in   (comic] strip, cartoon ), similar to the

tintin series and had only 116 pages. The original version is supposed to have some more then 300 pages.

I just wonder if you guys have read it and if you think it is  worth speanding time to read the original version.  ( do any of you have a article about him  / thanks in advance

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 19:10

What you would call a "original" Sun Tzu book isn't original at all.

It is clear that the Sun Tzu Bin Fa 13 chapter is only an abbreviated version itself.

People have claimed that you have found the long version, which is really long.  But most considers it a forgery.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 22:36

Hey Bk Bk,

I love those comic strips.  It's by this Taiwanese guy right?

Peace,

Michael

10-26-2004

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 23:32
I have the books in english..but never finished reading them...
Liu Ce View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Liu Ce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 13:11
I read The Art of War it's very interesting.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 17:35
I read a comic book version in my language and I find it interesting to see someone who came up with all these tactics at such ancient epoch
Grrr..
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 01:31
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
Dragon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 11:07
The audio book version is available, you may be able to acquire it somehow . . .   Its abridged, but well worth the time spent listening while you're stuck in gridlock or whatever . . .  If you find that interesting then you could find the "American" version which is about 200 pages available through most local libraries or bookstores if you ask nicely.
History is the study of the past that we may understand the present.
Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 08:23

I read sun zi in classical chinese , it's the most overrated book of all times:

Sun Zi Bing Fa is just a compilation of so obvious aphorisms,  shall i give some exemple.

" Those are military principles: When ten times  more numerous surround, five times more numerous outflank, two times more numerous make a two side attack, same number you can engage but victory is not sure, less troops withdraw, far inferior in number flee, if the smaller army try to resist, the bigger will capture it"

How can someone consider this few sentences as genius, it's so obvious. only those without any warfare knowledge can be impressed by Sun Zi writting. A general with the slightest talent for war will know this.

Edited by Demetrios
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 18:30

Well, friend demetrios, there's a reason why Sun Zi is universal and eternal. His art of war is like a book of common sense. But the problem is that there are many people without common sense. Throughout history I think you would be aware that there are generals and officers who lead men into battle without considering that would happen next. And I am sure that in dailylife such principles would also apply.

It is stating the obvious that's ingenius. The most ingenius chapter would actually be the first one in my opinion. Isn't Clausewitz's military theories similar?

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 18:31

Oh, yeah, and the version we have now is the one abbreviated by Cao Mengde (Cao Cao).

Considering the constraints of texts in Spring and Autumn period, I wouldn't be surprised if the art of war is only that long. Daodejing has only 5000 words, btw.

"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 19:03

Clausewitz can't be compare to sun zi, Clausewitz is not obvious, his work on warfare is a complete one, it answer questions, it shows in details how to manage war

Would you give command of your armies to someone whith no common sense???

Regarding the fact that we only have Cao Cao short version, it doesn't change a thing because i'm speaking of this version, the one that everybody read, not an hypothetical one about which we don't know a thing. 

If you want us to discuss about "Daodejing", it will be with pleasure, but please create a thread because here is not the place.

Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 19:08

Oh i forget,

regarding the fact that the actual version is Cao Cao's, it's just a theory which has been disabled in 1972 with the discovery of the exactly same version in a  Han tomb.

Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 19:48

Oh? Ok. I am not aware of that. Can you post that as well?

Well, just in case you don't know, Newton's 3 laws of motion are just as obvious as Sun Tzu's art of war but yet Newton is considered a genius physicist. So I guess that is still where the ingenuity comes in.

The first law of motion:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion in the same direction in the absence of a net external force.

I think anyone can come up with that without even using their knee to think. However, Newton's the first one to write that down in words. That makes him the genius.

As for Sun Tzu's ingenuity, you can also see that from his application of his theories in the campaigns against Chu. Most impressive, I would say.

Edited by sephodwyrm
Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 20:19

Yes this three laws extracted from their scientifical context are obvious and ungenious, but the complete work of newton isn't obvious and is genious.

Newton has never been considered a genious because of this first law.

"As for Sun Tzu's ingenuity, you can also see that from his application of his theories in the campaigns against Chu. Most impressive, I would say."

Sun Wu is not an historical figure, there's no proof of his existence, and no contemporary document mentionning him.Sima Qian bio of Sun Wu is very obscure,(written 400 years after his hypothetical date of life). It's not a reliable document.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 23:39

" Sun Wu is not an historical figure, there's no proof of his existence, and no contemporary document mentionning him.Sima Qian bio of Sun Wu is very obscure,(written 400 years after his hypothetical date of life). It's not a reliable document."

The account of Shi Ji regarding to events after the 9th century are quite reliable, in that dates are in accord with historical records of the Eastern Zhou. There is no reason to suppose Sun Wu isn't a real figure, his documentation is very real and his campaigns and training methods are recorded well.

Shi Ji's documentation is far from obscure, in fact it stressed on Sun Wu as the most important figure of Wu at the period directing all the major policies, for example he was recorded to be important in the participation of taking the Chu capital of Ying.

The passage of Shi Ji records: "in the ninth year (506 B.C.), King He Lu addressed Wu Zi Xu and Sun Wu, saying: "Formerly, you declared that it was not yet possible for us to attack Ying. Is the time ripe now?" The two replied: "Chu's general Zi Chang is ambitious and greedy, and the princes of Tang and Cai both have a grudge against him. If Your Majesty has resolved to make a grand attack, you must win over Tang and Cai, and then you may succeed."

Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 23:47

Sima Qian is a Tai Shi and his duty is to manage the archives. The archives are passed down through generations from archivist to archivist. If anything, we Chinese are pretty obsessed in keeping records. Written records exist since the Shang dynasty and the tradition never broke.

Saying Sun Wu is fiction is like saying that Alexander is fiction.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 01:13
Sun Zi is in fact once thought to be Sun Bing, because past historians assumed the hightly tactical concepts of the Art of War wasn't in practice during the Spring and Autumn period, and that no mention of cavalry was in the text, that is until the Sun Bing Art of War is unearthed in 1972 which was different. Sun Bing's military manual rigidly divided battle into 3 units of infantry cavalry and chariots, also disproving the fact cavalry was not in existence before Zhao Wu Lin(not that Shi Ji itself didn't mention Ma Lin had cavalry in it already, which many simply ignored)
ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 01:54

Sun Wu is a real historic person, the Chinese historian find out that he was the general of a state named Wu.

Sun Bing is also a great commander in the Chinese history.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 02:26

Sun Zhi is Sun Bing's great great grand father, meaning that he is Sun Bing's grand father's grand father.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>