Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basques in the new world???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basques in the new world???
    Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 16:07

Bronze age Basque settlement in Pennsylvania ?

I was stumbling thru the web a while ago and happened on a blurb that reminded me of something I knew of but had forgotten.

An epigrapher had identified carvings on stones found in the susquehanna valley, as an old form of Basque script dating to ca. 600-800 bce.

I saw a few of these stones in a museum in Mechanicsburg pa.  they look authentic, also there are over 400 hundred of them.

More interesting, the epigrapher, Barry Fell [epigraphic society occasional publications 1975] says they are burial markers and has identfied names and other information.

I haven't had time to research further and don't know anything about the actual excavations that produced the stones but was wondering if anyone else has any info.

I was particularly interested in what Maju had to say 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 23:27
Do you have a link?

I am pretty sure that Basques did not write at that time.

The oldest Basque writings are also burial markers of the Roman era in both Aquitaine and the Ebro valley.

But I've read some "uncertain" stuff on Ogham script reaching North America, which is usually attributed to Celts.

What you can be sure is that while Colombus was "discovering" America, our ancestors were fishing cod and whales in Newfoundland. Yet the merit is not exclusively Basque apparently and must be shared with Norwegians-Icelanders, Portuguese, Germans, and maybe Bretons and Irish.

I don't discard that the apparent megaliths found in NE America could come from Europe as well.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Voyager View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Voyager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 05:34
Oh no, another thread where everyone before Columbus was in America...

Edited by Voyager
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 12:22
Originally posted by Voyager

Are you surprised? Such good sailors as those who traded amber from the Baltic and ivory from Africa to Iberia and Britain in the Copper Age could well have reached America...

What I don't know is what they would have done with that knowledge... it would be much like Leifur's colonies... a waste of experiment, eventually being ruined.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 11:32
Basque language is strikingly similar to that of some mesoamerican indians, but I think that goes back to 40.000 years ago in central Asia when one branch of humans headed for Spain and the other for Bering.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 22:35
Originally posted by Maljkovic

Basque language is strikingly similar to that of some mesoamerican indians, but I think that goes back to 40.000 years ago in central Asia when one branch of humans headed for Spain and the other for Bering.

Basque is not simmilar to any other language of the world except itself (ancient Aquitanian) and maybe (only maybe) ancient Iberian.

Any simmilitude lasting so many milennia would have faded anyhow and become impossible to see.

The only thing we can say of Basque language is that is the last reminder of the languages that once were spoken in Europe, at least in Western Europe.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 06:13
Haven't you heard the story of Basque missionaries speaking to Indians in Basque and the Indians being able to understand them without translation?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 20:58

Originally posted by Voyager

Well, the indians and caribs were certainly there b4.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 22:02

Haven't you heard the story of Basque missionaries speaking to Indians in Basque and the Indians being able to understand them without translation?

No. I read that about the Guanches (Canarian natives) but I think it's a hoax: Guanche seems at all lights Berber (though Krutwig had a very elaborated alternative theory - read his book Garaldea).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by Maju

No. I read that about the Guanches (Canarian natives) but I think it's a hoax: Guanche seems at all lights Berber (though Krutwig had a very elaborated alternative theory - read his book Garaldea).

I heard once the story about one Basque missionary who during his stay among some Indian tribe in Mesoamerica noticed, to his amazement, that many words from his mother tongue (Basque language) are very similar to the equivalents in the language of this Indian tribe.
 Post Reply Post Reply