Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Islam and democracy compatible really

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Islam and democracy compatible really
    Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 15:00
The complexity of the hyper-power situation differs from the situation of a State serving the hyper power interests.

EOKA initially fought for the liberation of the island.Many young people,teenagers gave their life for that:

27th September 1955-Andreas Geordiou,16 years old
15 December 1955-Charalambos Mouskos,27 years old
7th February 1955-Student Petrakis Giallou,17 years,was shot in a protest against the British Occupation,in which he was leading
2nd July 1956-Student Andreas Paraskevas,16 years old
18th January 1956-Marcos Dracos,28 years old
7th June 1958-Kostakis Christodoulou,18 years old
5th October 1958 -Nicos Evagorou ,17 years old

And many others

Hanged by the British:
Micheal Karaolis,22 years old
Andreas Dimitriou,23 years old
Andreas Zakos,23 years old
Charilaos Michail,23 years old
Iacovos Patatsos,22 years old
Andreas Panagidis,25 years old
Micheal Koutsoftas,25 years old
Stelios Mavromatis,23 years old
Evagoras Pallikaridis,18 years old

And hundreds of others.During the fights,the British Governor imprisoned hundres of Hellen Cypriots,which sometimes were more than 3.000.These people are heroes.They gave their life for their country while Turkish-Cypriots were simply watching.

Edited by Spartakus - 09-Jun-2006 at 15:02
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 15:14

To you they maybe heroes but to the Brittish they were terrorists, and to the Turkish Cypriots they were murderers.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/cyprus/ROH.htm

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 15:27
The British,the occupational force?LOL How pathetic !Of course the British would say they were terrorists,since they were fighting against them!What do you expect them to say?"Oh sorry,you have right,EOKA is right,and we should leave immidietly from Cyprus!"Oh God!LOL Turkish-Cypriots killed too,they are not victims in this situation.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 15:48
are we discussing cyprus?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 15:55
Turkish-Cypriots killed too,they are not victims in this situation.

I think you'll find that they are victims, you'll also find that the Greek Junta and Eoka were killing anyone who was against them (including Greeks) says alot for "fighting for the country/people".

Its sad that you feel there is anything in the slightest heroic about these cold-hearted killers who massacred so many people in a non-war situation.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 16:13
Originally posted by Mortaza

are we discussing cyprus?

Yes, it seems that we are discussing Cyprus.
It also seems that the person who brought EOKA up (in a thread totally irrelevant with Cyprus) doesn't even know the difference between EOKA and EOKA B. Not that I'm surprised of course...
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 16:18
well, EOKA and EOKA B(also If you prefer to call EOKA C), is same. They have same members, they have same aims, and they used same terrorist tactics against their enemy

So I cannot see what is difference between EOKA and EOKA B(except B)

Anyway, CHP is not a central-left party, It is kemalist.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 16:20
think you'll find that they are victims, you'll also find that the Greek Junta and Eoka were killing anyone who was against them (including Greeks) says alot for "fighting for the country/people".

And i think you've have mistaken EOKA with Kemal Ataturk.....
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 16:28

Damn, everybody is ashamed of Eoka and the Greek Junta today, what is this Spartakus a die-hard attempt to save some face, their actions were discracefull and what is worse is that you proclaim to be a Leftish Greek while at the same time supporting the Eoka, do you know how many Greeks they killed?

Unless this small Turkish Community forming a part of the Turkish Race which has been the terrible enemy of Hellenism is expelled, the duty of the heroes of EOKA (The Greek Cypriot underground organisation fighting for ENOSIS, the annexation of Cyprus to Greece) can never be considered as terminated. (From speech delivered by Archbishop Makarios at Panayia village on 4 September 1962)

What is brave about killing un-armed people?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 16:38

Why should i be ashamed for the people who gave a liberation struggle against a harsh occupational force?Of course EOKA made mistakes,as well Turkish-Cypriots, by killing each other.But this does not minimize the fact that  some people gave their life for their freedom,fought to the end the Anglo-Saxonic ruler.They are heroes,and nobody,not me not you not anybody has the right judge them for their desicion.If it was not EOKA ,the British would still reign in the island.

What is brave about killing un-armed people?

Turkish-Cypriots killed Hellens Cypriots too.They are not blameless.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 16:45
Do i need to mention the Turk Mukavemet Teskilati (TMT) ,a very "brave" Turkish paramilitary organization responsible for bomb attacks,loots,assasinations?

Edited by Spartakus - 09-Jun-2006 at 16:48
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 17:29
Plz stay on topic.
@Spartakus,Cyprus is not the topic,dont follow huge counter-posts ,based on a single remark of yours.
-Obviously,wanting to go on a flamme-war again.
The problem of Turkey's political system,is that is not a clear democracy.
The democratic citizens of Turkey admitt this (and why not!!,since this is directly connected with their rights!)-and some try to change it,or at least judge it.
Nationalists dont accept this ,and easy tend to start stupid conversations like -u are not good either,,...

The key-question remains..:
How could Turkey,and other states with muslim majorities, have under control and minimize islamic extremism,without any militarist involvment in politics as well as  harassing of basic human rights.

Edited by Digenis - 09-Jun-2006 at 17:31
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 17:37
Originally posted by Digenis

How could Turkey,and other states with muslim majorities, have under control and minimize islamic extremism,without any militarist involvment in politics as well as harassing of basic human rights.

Very good question.

I don't know about other countries, but in Turkey, it is not that hard.

Firstly I think the way of presidential election must be changed.

The president is supposed to be apolitical and objective.

But how can you expect this if you select the president among the politicians?

He or she must be a member of constitutional court, so he or she can maintain the basic fundamentals of the state through law.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 18:01
Originally posted by Digenis

How could Turkey,and other states with muslim majorities, have under control and minimize islamic extremism,without any militarist involvment in politics as well as  harassing of basic human rights.

In addition to barish's logical statements about presidential elections, the most important thing to do is the education,definitely...

It is a long term thing, but education system shall be changed and more investment from the budget shall be used for education..By this way, people's minds will be enlightened.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 18:22
Originally posted by barish

Firstly I think the way of presidential election must be changed.

The president is supposed to be apolitical and objective.

But how can you expect this if you select the president among the politicians?

He or she must be a member of constitutional court, so he or she can maintain the basic fundamentals of the state through law.

In virtually all countries the presidential office in part of the executive branch and the president is almost always elected from among the politicians.

I think it is unwise to elect the president from the constitutional court. It is very important to ensure the strict speration between the executive, legislative and judiciary offices. By giving a member of the constitutional court which is part of the judiciary branch presidential previliges (executive branch) you are going to mix the judiciary and executive powers and thus will inadvertantly concentrate too much power in the hands of the president.

I personally do not think that there is anything wrong with the current presidential system in Turkey. The president has just enough power to postpone laws that he does not like, but not enough to block or veto them completely (correct me if i am wrong).

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 18:45
Originally posted by bg_turk

In virtually all countries the presidential office in part of the executive branch and the president is almost always elected from among the politicians.

The president has just enough power to postpone laws that he does not like, but not enough to block or veto them completely (correct me if i am wrong).

I totally agree with you, it's the same status in Greece too.
Giving many powers to a single person even if he is a democratic elected president, could turn out messy!
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 18:46
@Spartakus,Cyprus is not the topic,dont follow huge counter-posts ,based on a single remark of yours.

I know it's not the topic,but i was not the one to firstly discuss it.When some here learn to do such a thing,then things will a little better.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by bg_turk

I personally do not think that there is anything wrong with the current presidential system in Turkey. The president has just enough power to postpone laws that he does not like, but not enough to block or veto them completely (correct me if i am wrong).

Yes you are right he can't veto completely..He can accept or "send it back" to the National Assembly at first time if a law had been sent for his approval...If this is accepted at the Assembly one more time, then he "has to" accept it...If he still find the law unsatisfying, he can appeal to Constitutional Court.

I believe that's not the wrong part of the presidential system..The problem is more the selection of president.

The selection is being made by National Assembly.Even though National Assembly is representative of people,the president being selected can end up with being a member of that political party which has the majority in assembly.The danger with that is, the possibility of president being a tool of the government/party having majority instead of being a neutral one...For instance, Ahmet Necder Sezer, current president, is a good example of a neutral president,as former president of Constitutional Court being selected with the agreement of different parties...But when zal was president, he was clearly doing things and giving statements showing his support for ANAP(Motherland Party) 

Therefore, I propose that a referandum would be a wiser choice for presidential elections.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 20:17
Originally posted by Spartakus

In the reply you quoted,i said a little after the words  their Party.I highly doubt that the Turkish military or the Islamists or the Kemalists would ever allow a Communist Party to enter Parliament.Even if it found it's way to the Parliament ,it's power would be simply really small to be considered as serious.Concerning legality,that's another issue.The Turkish State is a Police State,meaning that it's policies are usually,if not always,rightist.

Oohoohoo...What is it that you smoke nowadays?Tongue

Communist Party took its place in the parliament in 60s with several representatives...And it is a legal party today among with many other hardcore leftist parties.But their balloting mass is just too small.

The reason it is not taken seriously today is their comical statements...Once in a program, president of TKP stated " We will close all the private sector once we come to the power"...LOL..All they do is to organize some youth in universities, coordinate demonstrations and protests and fill everywhere with papers...

States' policies usually doesn't have a regime if they don't consistently have the same party or person with same views in power...Therefore, you can't put it into a template.

And I can't understand why you are being so blatant in your posts

Edited by Kapikulu - 09-Jun-2006 at 20:25
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 20:21
Originally posted by Kapikulu

I believe that's not the wrong part of the presidential system..The problem is more the selection of president.

The selection is being made by National Assembly.Even though National Assembly is representative of people,the president being selected can end up with being a member of that political party which has the majority in assembly.The danger with that is, the possibility of president being a tool of the government/party having majority instead of being a neutral one...For instance, Ahmet Necder Sezer, current president, is a good example of a neutral president,as former president of Constitutional Court being selected with the agreement of different parties...But when zal was president, he was clearly doing things and giving statements showing his support for ANAP(Motherland Party) 

Therefore, I propose that a referandum would be a wiser choice for presidential elections.

I agree ... I did not realize the president was elected by parliament. A direct election by the people would certainly be a wiser choice as is the case in Bulgaria and most other countries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>