Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Megalo Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Megalo Idea
    Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 13:11

Originally posted by Turkish Soul

To understand the independence war between Greece and Turkiye you may read the book "ah su cilgin Turkler"(ah u lgn trkler).I don't know if the book has an English version or not.

Your signature is obnoxious. I think you should change it.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

And thanks for teaching me my own language. Firstly, the name Balkans was given to the mountains of the region. But then, it became the name for the whole region. Original Turkish name for the region is Rumeli, as you refer Rumelia.

Mehmet in Constantinople(Istanbul)  built another castle opposite it on the European side called  Rumeli Hisar (the European castle).  So I think Rumelia called the European and Balkan front known of the City (Thrace Eastern and Cental Macedonia)

Because is known that the others regions of the Greek territory called from the Ottomans as Epirus, Morea . Or the others known Balkan regions such as Wallachia and Moldavia

My point Rumelia is not Balkan or today the    Turkish geography change the meaning of the name.

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 16:30

So maybe we should wait for a new hero like Ataturk. But anyway, since Alexander was Macedonian and we don't have any problems with them at all, you need to chose someone else, for example Venizelos. At least he knew when he needed to apoligize and accept failure..

I am a Macedonian and I have a lot of problems with youI live in Macedonia,in Greece and many of  my ancestors from my father's side lived here and are buried in this land.Alexander was our greatest king ,he united the Hellenes.He formed a Panhellenic  Union against  the  Persians who had troubled us so much in the past

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 16:36

why what is your problem with us? we did you nothing, did we?

Leonidas, I agree with you, greeks suffered much.

But as I said you before, at next election they choose Menderes again.

Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 17:06
No problem!I am just kidding you.
You have repeated twice,once in this thread and in another thread that Greeks in Istanbul voted for Menderes.How the hell do you know this?Where you there with them?In the place where they voted?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 17:11
ehe I am living at istanbul
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 04:50
Beylerbeyi wrote:
"I agree, but having lived in a land before someone else doesn't give you more right on that land, after the first generation. Turks are surely not more Anatolian than Greeks, but neither are the Greeks more Anatolian than Turks. Who lives there NOW, or who is born there, regardless of ethnicity, is Anatolian"
Good point, but no need to convince me, i was argueing the fact that there is no one anadolian. Some people on this thread are using the logic/language that greeks are foriegn to anadolia this is not the case, maybe in a turkish republic created by ataturk and crew, but not in anadolia.

Mortaza wrote:
" ehe I am living at istanbul"
one day im going to visit and i hope you show me some turkish hospitality
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 05:26
Bashibozuk wrote:
"Maybe when they were invading Crete or gifted the twelve islands after WWII, but Anatolia was never a Greek homeland. where not much Greeks except Romanised natives of it stepped on before."
invading crete? i imagine you think the cretans are really from morea.  Hang on it was cretans that helped liberate thessolinik.. how can this fit all in with your woeful logic

"Maybe once colony"
Maybe? have a look at the ruins all over your country, maybe read a book, maybe you think our history and our past homelands extended to the limits in the luassanne treaty.

" where not much Greeks except Romanised natives of it stepped on before."
Conveniant words, which some turks here, thank god, actaully understand.
 turkified vs hellinsed what the differnce it all comes down to what language you speak.

"No, they weren't. Rumoi were, not the Morean shepherds"
Your splitting hairs. Even in morea back in the day they called themeselves romio.  Is greece just morea? would turkey just be konya. give me a break.

"It means most Rums weren't descended from Ionian colonists or Milets of northeastern shores."
and what does it matter?  should we give you a genetic test? it doesnt matter what there blood lines come from. They continued to follow a culture /language and indentity that has been in anadolia for a very long time, some could descend from 3000 years some in 1000, it is besides the point..

"Yes, I agree. And the Greeks aren't more Theselanoikian than the Turks they removed."
yes very mature

Why are you complianing? Do you want to swap back the populations? think carfully.....

...ok Ill help you, It was a swap that was in turkeys favour but if you bitching about one city we can swap everything back on like 2  like  percantage terms.

"And I was having fun with him. Never mind..."
great comedian

Edited by Leonidas
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 10:46

Maybe? have a look at the ruins all over your country

I did look at some, at least probably more than you. And there are no sign of Greek civilisation except the southern Aegean coasts and Northeastern cities of once Pontus. Actually, those northeastern cities have much more in common with Georgia than Greece as culture. Rest of historical sites and ruins are mostly from Hittite, Luwian related people (Arzawa/Troy, Lykia, Paphlagonia, Lydia, Commagene/Kimakku, Cilicia/Kissuwadna etc.) and Roman/Byzanthine.

homelands extended to the limits in the luassanne treaty.

Sorry, But I can find no signs of historical Greek culture/civilisation nowhere in the central and Eastern regions of Turkey. Even not in southern shores.

it all comes down to what language you speak

Not at all. We all speak English here but it doesn't mean we are AngloSaxons. And that wasn't a strong identity for those native Anatolians, especially the ones from the inner regions after the Hellenistic period since it is known that Cilicia Trachea, Cappadocia and Phyrgia used to have native speakers until total Christianification/Byzanthine influence, and some left even after that.

Even in morea back in the day they called themeselves romio

Culturally, Anatolian/Istanbul Rumoi were definately appart from Greeks. Just like Azeris and Turks today. Since Azeris can't have any claim on Anatolia but they are the same language's speakers with us, Morean Greeks didn't have much common with Rumoi of Anatolia.

great comedian

Thanks for compliement. I see Greek forumers here have much in common with us, including sense of humor...

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 11:56

I did look at some, at least probably more than you. And there are no sign of Greek civilisation except the southern Aegean coasts and Northeastern cities of once Pontus. Actually, those northeastern cities have much more in common with Georgia than Greece as culture. Rest of historical sites and ruins are mostly from Hittite, Luwian related people (Arzawa/Troy, Lykia, Paphlagonia, Lydia, Commagene/Kimakku, Cilicia/Kissuwadna etc.) and Roman/Byzanthine.

No sign of Greek civilisation in Anatolia?We ruled this land for more than 1000 years

Sorry, But I can find no signs of historical Greek culture/civilisation nowhere in the central and Eastern regions of Turkey. Even not in southern shores.

There are everywhere.You should look again.

Not at all. We all speak English here but it doesn't mean we are AngloSaxons. And that wasn't a strong identity for those native Anatolians, especially the ones from the inner regions after the Hellenistic period since it is known that Cilicia Trachea, Cappadocia and Phyrgia used to have native speakers until total Christianification/Byzanthine influence, and some left even after that.

More stupid thing than this I have never read.Your mother tongue is a different thing from a language that you learn.Those native Anatolians were in fact Greek.''Greekness'' is not just a matter of genes.It is a matter of language,culture,religion and consciousness.if you say that the people that lived in Anatolia in the Byzantine time were not Greeks then who says that you are a Turk?Maybe you are a Syrian or even a Kurd that speaks Turkish.So you are maybe not a Turk...

Culturally, Anatolian/Istanbul Rumoi were definately appart from Greeks. Just like Azeris and Turks today. Since Azeris can't have any claim on Anatolia but they are the same language's speakers with us, Morean Greeks didn't have much common with Rumoi of Anatolia.

You must be crazy.The Romioi of Constantinople and of Asia Minor were Greeks,proud descendants of the Byzantines.All Greeks from Peloponese to Pontus called themselves Romioi/Romaioi back then.This is still one of our ethnic names today and we use it in ordre to remember  our lost homeland,but not lost forever...
Just kidding..The Great idea or Megali idea died in 1923 once and for all with the Treaty of Lausanne and the exchange of the population.

Edited by RomiosArktos
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 12:27

It is a matter of language,culture,religion and consciousness.

I totally agree here. That's why I said they were different from the Greeks of the Greek homeland and colonies. Because they were Christians, not Greeks by identity, and Rumoi of Byzanthine Empire, not Greek citizens. The fact they spoke Greek at town and a forgotten Anatolian language at home wasn't enough to make them Greeks as identity.

who says that you are a Turk?

I say. Isn't that enough? But even if I was a native convert (I am not, I am a Turk, Turkmen by origin), I wouldn' be calling myself neither Greek nor Turk until 19th century. Today, I do call myself Turk, and happy of saying it.

proud descendants of the Byzantines.All Greeks from Peloponese to Pontus called themselves Romioi/Romaioi back then

No doubt for that.

we use it in ordre to remember  our lost homeland

Homeland? What makes Anatolia a Morean Greek's homeland? If there's someone who should remember his lost homeland, he would either be a Hittite related person, and we built a monument for their honor in the middle of our capital city, Ankara, which was a Hittite city once.

but not lost forever

Of course not. You can still visit our homeland and satisfy your nationalism, after you pay the visa price though. So you should be the first one voting for Turkey 's membership to EU, then it would be more economic for you to have a look at the musum of Aya Sofya or Ephesos. I heard they were taking twice price from foreigners all over touristic places. Best luck!

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 18:02

Homeland? What makes Anatolia a Morean Greek's homeland? If there's someone who should remember his lost homeland, he would either be a Hittite related person, and we built a monument for their honor in the middle of our capital city, Ankara, which was a Hittite city once.

Morean greek? What are we back in the 17th century? Greeks are greeks, none of this b/s morean greek stuff you try to pull. Hittes never really controlled Ionian coast of anatolia, so dont act like that is Hittite "land". What makes a converted anatolian think he is turk? Thats the real question.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 20:34

I totally agree here. That's why I said they were different from the Greeks of the Greek homeland and colonies. Because they were Christians, not Greeks by identity, and Rumoi of Byzanthine Empire, not Greek citizens. The fact they spoke Greek at town and a forgotten Anatolian language at home wasn't enough to make them Greeks as identity.

The fact that we all shared a common glorious past,from hellenistic times until 1923,the fact that they spoke Greek like the rest of the Greeks and the fact that they were christians living in Asia Minor,which was the craddle of orthodox christianity,made the Rumoi/Romioi of Asia Minor  Greeks by identity.Because this is how  the Greeks identified themselves:language,common past especially common Byzantine past,christian religion

The Hitites were assimilated first by other Anatolian people and then by the Greeks.At the time of the Byzantine empire,a Greek peasant from let's say Cappadocia or Ankyra would be like the rest of the Byzantines.Speaking Greek and being a christian.So these people became Greeks eventually.
What's your problem with Morean Greeks,anyway?
Bear in mind that a great part of the Greek society today has ancestry from the Greek refugees from Asia Minor.

Of course not. You can still visit our homeland and satisfy your nationalism, after you pay the visa price though. So you should be the first one voting for Turkey 's membership to EU, then it would be more economic for you to have a look at the musum of Aya Sofya or Ephesos. I heard they were taking twice price from foreigners all over touristic places. Best luck!

No way!Why would I visit Turkey and pay double price to see monuments built by my ancestors?
I'd rather see these monuments in photos and 3d reconstructions,and this would be better since  Ayia Sofia is depicted there without minarets

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 07:26
Bashibozuk wrote:
"Culturally, Anatolian/Istanbul Rumoi were definately appart from Greeks. Just like Azeris and Turks today. Since Azeris can't have any claim on Anatolia but they are the same language's speakers with us, Morean Greeks didn't have much common with Rumoi of Anatolia."
You are either trying to confuse things here, or very confused yourself.

Morean greek could be one type of greek , though ive never heard of a 'morean' greek. Cypriot is type of greek so is cappodocian, pontic, ionian and name a island and theres another friggin  variation right there. they are all greek.

If nakhichevan gets invaded by armenians, turkey will defend it, it already said it would. Its azeri not anadolian, but the connection is TURK.

"Homeland? What makes Anatolia a Morean Greek's homeland? "
'Moreans' are not claiming anadolia, its the andolian greeks that had a right in anadolia, this has nothing to do with Morea but the connection is GREEK. How hard is that to follow

"Because they were Christians, not Greeks by identity, and Rumoi of Byzanthine Empire, not Greek citizens."
What has citizenship got to do with identity? do you stop being a turk if your only a british citizen? or are your ancestors stop being labeled turks if you become a british citizen and change ur label.

YOur trying to change the cultural worlds these people belong to with different labels like romoi, byzantine and greek. But you also seem to lack the understanding that they are all manfestations of the same thing.

You see i am greek but you can say romoi , part laconian (not morean) and part karpathian, while also christian and none of this condradicts being greek. even if i have no greek citizenship.

Still confused?

"If there's someone who should remember his lost homeland, he would either be a Hittite related person, and we built a monument for their honor in the middle of our capital city, Ankara, which was a Hittite city once."
well there are still greek speakers today, not hittites speakers so deal with that first.

There is always this foolish arguement that before greeks there were other languges and that somehow this is ment to lessen the long history that greek (also armenian, aramean, assyrian etc etc) has of being spoken in anadolia. It doesnt change the greekness of the greek speakers anymore than than the turkishness of todays turkish speakers. Nor does it shorten its time spoken or lengthen that of any newer introduced langauge.

"You can still visit our homeland and satisfy your nationalism, after you pay the visa price though. So you should be the first one voting for Turkey 's membership to EU, then it would be more economic for you to have a look at the musum of Aya Sofya or Ephesos. I heard they were taking twice price from foreigners all over touristic places. Best luck!"

Hope you reform and get in,  but otherwise enjoy the Middle east and let greece keep her subsides..Good luck

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 09:34

I am surpised that some of you guys try to communicate with Bashibozuk.

That guy see warehouses as mosques, see minares which actually don't exist and thinks that commedies are porn (Bashi sometimes porn is good, you should try see one movies, it opens your mind in sex).

Believe me guys it is a waste of time, that guys make the grey wolves look like communist......

Ps. Oh i forgot it he also claimed that a bridge was a mosque!!!! let see what else he will see as mosque......

Edited by BlindOne
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 13:12

What makes a converted anatolian think he is turk? Thats the real question.

Exactly the same thing what makes a converted Hittite, Pelasgian, Lykian, Cappadocian, etc. think he is Greek.

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 22:26
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

What makes a converted anatolian think he is turk? Thats the real question.

Exactly the same thing what makes a converted Hittite, Pelasgian, Lykian, Cappadocian, etc. think he is Greek.

It's not a matter of genes or blood, but it's matter of consciousness. If you grow up us a Greek (or Turk) and identify yourself as such, then you are a Greek (or Turk). Of course the convertion doesn't happen overnight, but it takes a few generations. Now if the question is "what makes a converted Turk (Greek) think that he is Turk (Greek) by blood since ...ever", then the answer is lack of common sense, I guess.
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 11:14

Bashi sometimes porn is good, you should try see one movies, it opens your mind in sex

Maybe, but I wonder what'd be your reaction if I intended to watch those porn movies in a Greek church in Istanbul. But don't worry, I won't, we have respect to religious sanctuaries and others religions unlike others....

that guys make the grey wolves look like communist

I am neither a grey wolf or communist. What do you mean?

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 14:44

Hmm, to much stupidity around, I won't bother with this.

Beylerbeyi, name a defeat of the Greek army before Saggarios battle (which was not a defeat).

Keep in mind also that Italians and French DID give you material help. Also, in the last attack (August 1922), Turks had good local numerical superiority. It's true that the turkish army was underequiped and smaller than the Greek for the most part of the war, and that why you got severely defeated. And I don't know how you see 'Turks defending their homeland', but what I know is that the Greek army had turkic volunteers fighting with it.

I won't say more, because I see you in Turkey are taught a fake version to fit your overblown nationalism (for which I'm not saurprised at all).

Also note that Greece wanted to make peace from the begining of the war, but Ataturk would not accept. Greece NEVER laid claims for lands as deep as Ankyra.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 15:52

Beylerbeyi, name a defeat of the Greek army before Saggarios battle (which was not a defeat).

1897 Greco-Ottoman War...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>