Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Megalo Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Megalo Idea
    Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 20:56
bg_turk,if you have anything to say about Megali Idea say it!Don't change the subject!
But since you started first....

The Ionians are an indigenous race,but the Dorians on the contrary have been constantly on the move;their home in Deucalion's reign was Phthiotis(in Sterea Hellas) and in the reign of Dorus son of Hellen the country known as Histiaeotis in the neighbourhood of Ossa and Olympus;driven from there by the Cadmeians they settled in Pindus and were known as Macednons(Macedon=( in Dorian Greek))+);thence they migrated to Dryopis,and finally to the Peloponnese,where they got their present name of Dorians.(Book One,Histories of Herodotus)

As you can see,the Dorians who remained in Pindus and did not migrate to Peloponisos were later the Macedonians of the classical times.
Btw,Herodotos who is known as the THE FATHER OF HISTORY,was also an Ionian Greek just like Dimosthenis.The only difference is that Dimosthenis lived in a time when Athens was weak and Macedonia strong and he was the leader of the anti-macedonian party.He couldn't accept that his city was now a shadow of her former glory.As a rhetor he used such words in order to make Philip seem as a barbarian in the eyes of his compatriots,though he was not.It was part of his anti-macedonian propaganda.
Macedonians and Epirotes were allowed to take part in the Olympic games,something allowed at that time only to those who had GREEK blood in their veins.Barbarians of the north,like Illyrians and Thracian tribesmen WERE NOT allowed to participate.
Don't forget that Isokrates who was the preacher of the Pan-hellenic unity turned to Phillipos for the realisation of his dreams.
isokrates was the exact opposite to Dimosthenis.
Dimosthenis believed only in his city-state while Isokrates believed in something greater, A UNITED GREEK WORLD.

There is also the quotation from Strabo:Estin oun Ellas kai i Makedonia which means that Macedonia is also part of Hellas,obviously because it was and is inhabited by Hellenes.

Alexandros is our greatest king of all times.He was the founder of the hellenistic and Byzantine world,the son of Zeus himself

Edited by RomiosArktos
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 17:44
Bg_Turk do u dear to open a thread about who is macdonian and who is not?? (i m sure its discussed but i m always ready to discuss it again).

If yes do it.
If no stay in your ignorance.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 16:24

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

I am a Macedonian and I have a lot of problems with youI live in Macedonia,in Greece and many of  my ancestors from my father's side lived here and are buried in this land.Alexander was our greatest king ,he united the Hellenes.

Or more like he enslaved you ...

" , "

: 3

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 15:36

French had armies, but they were dealt with by the local militias

Yes, definately. After total civil action of Kuvva-i Milliye, Adana, Mersin, Tarsus, Urfa/Edessa and Antep were all liberated by local, freedom fighter forces. And Mara was the only city as I know, which was liberated just by the local Turkish forces, without any military interfering.

That's why today, we call Antep as Gaziantep, Urfa as anl/Glorious Urfa and Mara as Kahraman/hero Mara.

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 09:11
Aside from generalship, the fighting abilities of a soldier revolves around many factors: training, ability, desire, arms availability, economical and strategic support, etc. The Turks did have many deserters during different facets of the war. As did the Greeks during their eventual retreat. What eventually became of the Turkish army had to do with conscription, and laws readily enforcable on the battlefield to keep desertion from infecting the battle readiness of the troops and battalions. As the war progressed this problem was diminished. The psychological edge that a soldier has is debateable. Yet one could say that at the wars onset the Greek army had most of these advantages up till the Sakarya battle. Soon after which the Turks found renewed vigour in their belief that they could hold their own and actually turn the tide of the war. Sure, Turkish victories happened previously in battles like Inonu and this did help morale but not like the extent of the Sakarya battle. Once this battle abated the Greeks lost hope of thrusting further into the heartland let alone holding lands won up till then. As the turn in momentum thus the turn in morale. Belief in ones fighting capability lead towards more success on the battlefields.

Edited by Seko
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 05:13

Agree with you for the leadership. It's not that there were no talented Greek officers, but because of the Royalist-Venizelist tensions, all Venizelist officers (who were the majority in the army) were replaced with royalist officers.

I don't agree with you about the soldiers though. The morale of the Greek soldiers was very good, and in the most part better than of the Turkish soldier. Not only the Greek soldiers beleived in their cause, but they were also more confident of the quality of the Greek army. The turkish army had thousands of deserters.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 14:58

What help? During the war Greece did not get any help, not even from Britain which was supposed to be our ally. Greece was pleading for a loan and noone would give one.

Also Greece was fighting with weapons and ammo that she already had from before the war. Some units were even equiped with Gras rifle from 1870s. Greece had like 7-8 rifles in use. Apart from the Mannlicher which was the main rifle, Greece had Bulgarian and Turkish Mausers, even Mosin Nagants from the campaign in Ukraine.

As the Allies had recently ended the Great War for themselves, it is not so abnormal that they weren't able to give large loans to Greeks...But of course, that doesn't mean that Greece didn't get any help at all.

And it shall also be taken into consideration that Turkish ammo and weapon depots were mostly under Allied control at that time...

One of the main problems of Greek army in the war was logistical. Supplies weren't arriving at the right time, and as the Greek army got inner and inner in Anatolia, it became harder to arrange logistical support.

And as Beylerbeyi stated above, there were a clear difference between the generals and the spiritual state of the soldiers fighting...Turkish generals, whom mostly fought in many different fronts and conditions during all WW I, was far more talented than their Greek counterparts.And Turkish army, formed of soldiers willing to fight to save their country and independence, was more ready to die than the opposing side.

Edited by Kapikulu
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 14:53
Originally posted by strategos

The greeks had a better equipped and bigger army? You are really mistaken.. I always wondered how the turks could drive off the greeks, armenian, and kurdish armies who were around anatolia yet they had such a smaller weaker army? Get real the USSR gave turkish rebels free arms and such supplies and this turned the tide of the wars.

Well, it is a known fact that Greek army had much more artilleries,rifles and trucks, actually a few times more than the Turkish army.

The USSR aid is not an aid that can be despised under any case, but comparing to Anglo-French aid(mostly Anglo, I can say), that wasn't really greater.

The aim is really clear for English, they wanted to oppress national movement by using Greek army, as their public opinion, which was already tired of The Great War, didn't want to send more troops for a new fight they didn't believe...Plus, the colonies, also rejected to send in more troops after sending so much and giving so much casualties in WW I.

There weren't any Kurdish armies at that time..There were a few "ete"(gangs) formed by Kurdish, but they weren't much against the Turkish nationalist movement,actually most of them were supportive for it.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 12:29
I always wondered how the turks could drive off the greeks, armenian, and kurdish armies who were around anatolia yet they had such a smaller weaker army?

Kurdish people weren't fighting against us.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 11:59

And I still wait for the battle list from Beylerbeyi.

Because I think there's something to debate over who had the upper hand.

Btw, I was totally right. The articles in Wikipedia are written by Turks and edited by Turks.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 09:10
Why was Paulus surrounded? Because Hitler forced him to stay. If it was up to him, he would have retreated way before.

Until he got surrounded, Paulus was winning in Stalingrad. He was only some hundred meters away from Volga.

It was indeed crucial help, but was next to nothing compared to the aid Greece got from the Allies before and during the war.

What help? During the war Greece did not get any help, not even from Britain which was supposed to be our ally. Greece was pleading for a loan and noone would give one.

Also Greece was fighting with weapons and ammo that she already had from before the war. Some units were even equiped with Gras rifle from 1870s. Greece had like 7-8 rifles in use. Apart from the Mannlicher which was the main rifle, Greece had Bulgarian and Turkish Mausers, even Mosin Nagants from the campaign in Ukraine.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 08:57

I always wondered how the turks could drive off the greeks, armenian, and kurdish armies who were around anatolia yet they had such a smaller weaker army?

This kind of thing happens in revolutionary wars. Read about the French revolutionary wars, or Russian civil war.

In particular, Armenians were very weak, and Russians were our allies. Kurds had no armies, and they fought on the Turkish side anyway. French had armies, but they were dealt with by the local militias. Eastern front was pacified in time so that those forces could be sent West to fight against the Greeks in later battles.

Besides Turks had advantages like better generals and defending most of the time.

Get real the USSR gave turkish rebels free arms and such supplies and this turned the tide of the wars.

It was indeed crucial help, but was next to nothing compared to the aid Greece got from the Allies before and during the war.

Bad comparison. In stalingrad the Germans were surrounded by Soviets. Paulus was asking for permission to break out of the ring, leaving the wounded in the city, and joining with Manstein.

Why was Paulus surrounded? Because Hitler forced him to stay. If it was up to him, he would have retreated way before.

In Sagarios, the Greeks were not endangered by a turkish attack. It was up to us to do our move. Since we decided to go for ankyra we should go to the end. What heppened is that we lost 25.000 men, succeeding nothing and in fact losing the initiative intil the end. Was this better than continuing with the attack? Of course now its 2006, and we know much more information than Papulas did back then.

One way or another it was clearly a defeat. We can never know what would have happened if the Greeks continued the attack. Maybe they could have broken the Turkish resolve, or maybe they could be totally annihilated.

Second I think -although it's not said clearly- that indeed the greek forces were defeated in this battle.

Yes, and the important point is that these battles had huge political repercussions. Not that who outnumbered who.

Until Inonu, nobody suspected the strength of the Turkish resistance. The Allies thought 'those are just a bunch of pretenders, a rag-tag coalition of remnants of the disbanded Ottoman army and local bandits. The Greek army will defeat them easily and finally end this nuissance, which will allow us to finally end this very unpopular war'. 

Some people suspected this might be more difficult than it seemed, but most have underestimated the resistance. In Inonu, the Greeks found out that they faced a serious enemy, thanks to the success of the Turkish revolutionaries (led by Ataturk) in creating an effective resistance movement.

This gave Ankara international recognition. People started to think about the possibility that Ankara would actually manage to reclaim Anatolia. USSR started helping seriously. The Allies saw that the problem was getting bigger everyday. This led to two different types of behaviour, France and Italy wanted to make peace, in case Ankara would be successful, and Britain and Greece wanted to get rid of the problem, before it got even bigger. Hence the march towards Ankara.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 05:39

Seko:

I do not want to be disrespectful, but I have made my judgement, as I guess you have made yours.

That must be a sign to you (Turks) of how subjective your view can be (probably the Greek can be too -I'm not denying it).

There you are.

And I did not insult your flag. I don't know, maybe my english is bad. To be clear: Are you a Turk with a US flag under your name? That was my question.

Beylerbeyi:

Same thing happened in Stalingrad. Was it a German victory or a Soviet victory?

Bad comparison. In stalingrad the Germans were surrounded by Soviets. Paulus was asking for permission to break out of the ring, leaving the wounded in the city, and joining with Manstein.

In Sagarios, the Greeks were not endangered by a turkish attack. It was up to us to do our move. Since we decided to go for ankyra we should go to the end. What heppened is that we lost 25.000 men, succeeding nothing and in fact losing the initiative intil the end. Was this better than continuing with the attack? Of course now its 2006, and we know much more information than Papulas did back then.

The statement that we made a power demonstration in sagarios is obviously very stupid, but indeeed the army high command used it when asking for permission to retreat. Papulas was not a good commander. It was his decision to keep the big Eski Sehir (Dorylaion) - Afyon Karahisar-Kutahya line, a very long front without giving reserves. His replacement (who was executed after the war for 'betrayal') was not better, but at least he saw the weaknesses of the front and tried to correct them a bit.

About the Inonu battles:

First, I admit I've not read a really trustworthy version of the war. I have (in Athens, now I'm in Thessaloniki) the Army Staff published history of the Minor Asian campaign, which is the most official it can get, but I haven't read it (only parts of it).

Iacobos Aktsoglou: Chronicles of the Minor Asian war, 1998, Trohalia editions.

24.12.1920 The Army Corps of Smyrna is renamed to C' Army Corps.

A' AC executes decieving action towards Banaz and Sivasli.

Beginning of C' AC to recoinassance attack until Bazuyuk and if needed until location of Inonu. Detachment of the X division enters Yeni Sehir and continues to the heights west of Kupruhisar, where it overthrows weak enemy resistance and continues capturing Pabucuk. The central Detachment of the VII division advanced through Timbos- Hamzabey- Suvardi and a part of it arrived Olukman. The right detachment followed the rout Aksu-Ainegol-Hasanpasa and stationed west of Gallos (Goksu) river.

27.12.1920 Battle of VII division on the heights Kovalic-Cay-Akpinar with turksih forces that were fortified on the defensive line of Celtic-Avgin-Akpinar-Kovalic-Bozalan.

28.12.1920 Capture of the top of the height west of akpinar. Force of two battalions under Psara (I don't know his rank's translation) captures the heights of Poyra. The heights of Kovalic are taken and the turkish forces retreat towards Inonu.

Detachment of X division starting from Bilecik, captures Sogut and advances NW of Avgin.

29.12.1920 The fall back and return of C' AC (Smyrna) begins, after the end of the recoinasance attack, to its starting locations, those of 24 December.

Mustafa Kemal congratulates colonel Ismet (Inonu) for his "victory" against our army.

*Two pages after that: A turkish diagram (map) of the battle of Akpinar-Kovalic of 27-28 December*.

In turkish bibliography is mentioned as the "first victory of Inonu" (Birinci Inonu Zaferi). Despite their retreat and the serious casualties the turksih forces suffered, the turkish army leadersgip spread everywhere, the incident as "victory of the turkish forces against the greek weapons" in order to take diplomatical benefits and to raise the morale of the army.

10.3.1921 Beginning of the advance of A' AC and C' AC to take contact with the right part of the location of Inonu.

The french newspaper Matin writes "Franklin Bouillon desires an alliance agreement with Turkey"

11.3.1921 First battle in area Dumlupinar

13.3.1921 Parts of our army enter and liberate Adapazari

14.3.1921 Capture of Afyon Karahisar by parts of A' AC (5/42 Ev. Reg.). Begining of the battle of Avgin between turkish units and parts of C' AC.

15.3.1921 An agreement between the governement of Ankyra and Russia is signed for POW exchange.

17.3.1921 Until evening the VII division captures the whole strong defensive location Akpinar-Kovalic that was the southern part of defensive line Inonu.

19.3.1921 The withdrwal to Prusa of our attacking parts to defensive line Inonu begins. Small forces of ours continue their defensive struggle in the area.

20.3.1921 After decision of the national council is awarded to vicepresident (minister) of National Defence Mustafa Fevzi (Cakamak) the rank of (I don't know the ranks translation)

25.3.1921 Successfully ends the withdrwal of our parts from line Inonu to their begining locations. After tactical repositioning of our parts Afyon Karahisar is evacuated.

26-29.3.1921 Second battle in area Dumlupinar

31.3.1921 Ismet (Inonu) proposes that it is awardede to Mustafa Kemal the title of "gazi"

After some pages there is a photo, and a text syas how well fortified the Inonu line became after the first battle. This is the last time in the book that the author mentions this line.

So, I have fulfilled Seko's demand. I show exactly what I read.

Second I think -although it's not said clearly- that indeed the greek forces were defeated in this battle.

Beylerbeyi, mention the battles you reffered.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 01:47

The greeks had a better equipped and bigger army? You are really mistaken.. I always wondered how the turks could drive off the greeks, armenian, and kurdish armies who were around anatolia yet they had such a smaller weaker army? Get real the USSR gave turkish rebels free arms and such supplies and this turned the tide of the wars.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 20:44

Originally posted by Leonidas

dont close the thread ive seen worse and im learning.

Day1 wrote:
"Those greeks make me laugh again"
that a unhealthy tone, try some or better still say nothing at all
why is it unhealthy? Because i laugh with the rediculous claims of "those" Greek forumers?

Yea, read more and you'll learn more.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 20:35

Or I may even be forced to close this topic! But I'll leave that honor for the mod's of this forum to do when necessary.

For some of the smarty pants on this thread, read my four previous posts closely and then read your own. Tell yourselves who the beligerent one ones are here. I've set a very clear example for any wishing to pay attention. My posts contain no beating around the bush. No profanities. And respectful up to the point where the comparison of one's eating orifice to their intellectual capacity is mentioned. If one finds this sort of debating disrespectful then I find that those people who intentional twist history and follow up with absurd consclusions mixed with blatant lies and avoidance from answering my questions the bigger offence. 

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 20:28
dont close the thread ive seen worse and im learning.

Day1 wrote:
"Those greeks make me laugh again"
that a unhealthy tone, try some or better still say nothing at all

Edited by Leonidas
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 20:17

Those greeks make me laugh again

well done Beylerbeyi

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 19:35

Originally posted by Decebal

May I remind everyone that personal insults should have no place on this forum? Let's get back on topic. If this turns into a flame war, I may be forced to close the topic.

No, I may be forced to close the topic!    

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 19:29

Wikipedia of course is crap, I won't even bother reading your links.

Crap or not, Wikipedia articles were obviously not written by Turks, and they claim that all those battles took place, were bitterly contested and were Turkish victories.

Saggarios battle was not won by the turks. the greek army retreated because of heavy losses.

That sounds like a defeat to me. Let's see, Turkish army was defending the Sakarya line, Turkish objective was to stop the Greek army's advance. Greek army attacked, with the intention of destroying the defence and reaching Ankara, disbanding the Turkish resistance movement.

It was indeed a close battle, but in the end Turkish army succeeded in its objective, stopping the Greek army, and the Greek army was defeated, because they failed to reach their objective and had to retreat, suffering heavy losses. 

Same thing happened in Stalingrad. Was it a German victory or a Soviet victory?

Until the very last minute the battle was considered to be going well.

Stalingrad was a tightly contested battle as well.

Sakarya was a very close battle. Greeks had clear superiority in everything, and they fought well, breaking the Turkish lines at points. They say artillery was heard from Ankara, and they were planning to move the parliament to Kayseri.

But Turks had advantages as well, such as favourable defensive position, better generals, psychological advantage. Beind the defending side is important, because in WWI it was a big advantage. I think that is the main reason why Turkish armies could win against the outnumbering Greek armies in the Inonu and Sakarya battles. Turkish armies failed to go after the defeated armies in all those cases, because they were too weak to attack. Otherwise the Greek adventure would have ended much earlier.

The Greek army lost the strategic initiative after Sakarya, but Turks had to wait for a long while until they gathered enough forces for an offensive operation. That's why there was a long time gap between Sakarya and Dumlupinar (the final Turkish offensive). 

What the Greek command lacked was confidence and deciciveness. The march towards Sagarios was from the beginning a risk. However, from the time the operation began the army should persist to the end, despite the heavy losses.

Not really. Sometimes it is wiser to retreat. In Stalingrad, Von Paulus wanted to retreat, but Hitler forced him to stay, it was a disaster in the end. In Sakarya, Papulas (who was a decent General, better than his replacement) saw the impending doom, and retreated, allowing the occupation last another year.

Papulas posted however to the Greek governement, if he had the permission to retreat, becuae he considered that enough (to drag the turks to negotiations) was done (display of power), and because Greece lost 25.000 men in this battle.

In what way would the Turks be impressed by Greeks getting themselves slaughtered and retreating? Do you actually believe what you wrote makes any sense? By no stretch of imagination can this state of affairs be called a Greek victory.

Also, the ratio was not 2:1. The Greek army had around 75.000 combatants (every division had many auxiliary parts), and the turks 70.000.

Not really, but it is a technicality anyway. The important point is the Greek army was FAR better equipped than the Turkish one. 

What are the two Inonu battles?

So you actually never heard of the Inonu battles?  Wow, I think this fact in itself speaks volumes about how much you actually know about what happened. It's like talking about Hitler's invasion and suddenly asking 'what is Kursk battle?'

If your defeats are edited out of the books, no wonder you think that the German King was the cause of your defeat in Asia Minor.

I did a little research on the battles of Inonu, in a book of mine.

So you at least learned that they exist.

What I found is that there were two battles. Turks were routed with heavy losses, but for diplomatical, political and morale reasons they showed it as a victory.

Turks were routed? Let's see, they were defending their positions, Greeks came and attacked, and forced to retreat suffering heavy losses. In what way is this a Turkish defeat exactly? But of course if you consider Sakarya a Greek victory, these are Greek victories as well. Just like the German victory in Stalingrad.

Ismet Pasha, who became Turkey's second President after Ataturk, got his surname (Inonu) from these battles, because he won them.

I am not claiming that Greek army was sh*t and it lost all the battles. On the contrary all battles were closely contested (except maybe the final Turkish offensive), and after the two Inonu battles the Greeks have regrouped and started another offensive, which was successful. Turkish armies which held the territory west of Sakarya in the two previous offensives (the Inonu battles) were forced to retreat to the east of the river at that time.

Even though you'll find some imbeciles who'd fall for it, it is simply ridiculous to claim that Turks have lost these battles but turned them into propaganda victories. It wasn't like the media anywhere except the USSR was on Turkey's side. If the Turks had lost the Inonu battles, they would have retreated to the east of Sakarya, before the defeat in the third battle. 

In this book there are also turkish diagrams of some battles, that show ridiculusly high Greek numbers in men and equipment. That must be a sign to you (Turks) of how subjective your view can be (probably the Greek can be too -I'm not denying it).

There is no debate on whether Greeks outnumbered the Turks or outgunned them, the debate is HOW MUCH they outnumbered and outgunned them. For me the details are not very important, so I won't go looking for them.

At the final retreat several units left Asia Minor without in fact having shot a round! (I'm reffering to the northern front).

Yes, it is difficult to shoot when you are running away from the enemy as fast as you can.  All they shot was poor villagers which they came across.

Also, until these very last battles, Greek army showed its superiority in several occasions.

Such as? I wrote you, out of the five major battles, four were Turkish victories and only one was a Greek victory. Even if you count the initial stage of the occupation where the Greeks faced irregulars or no defence at all, then it would be 2/6. Still not good enough.

You must know that Greece wanted the war to end the soonest possible. Greek economy was collapsing literally. The government was taking unheard measures to be able to keep the front. Also the Greek army had huge material problems.

So what? Turkey had all these problems doubled. There was a civil war going, and the war had an Eastern front for us, unlike for you. Half the country was occupied. There was another (Vichy-like) government fighting against the resistance. There was NO economy, just the resistance taking stuff from the people by force.

How come do you think Turks had a smaller army in Turkey than you did?

I also never claimed that 'we were bringing civilization to Anatolia'. It seems you turks like to feel the 'underestimated', the underdog, the ones that wrong was done to them.

Well, most of your relatively recent history is about being the underdog, so I am sure you can have some empathy for us in this situation. For once, we were being occupied.  If you want Turks to respect your independence and borders, your rights to those, and not just be a province to be ruled by Turks, you have to respect Turkey's independence and borders. What you people are doing in this thread is coming across like, 'when Turks occupy us, it is horrible, when we occupy them it is glorious'. If you have this mentality, you have no right to complain about the Ottomans.

Generally, you get me wrong. I do not claim that the Minor Asian campaign was right. It can be said that it is for the best what happened, because if we had won we would be supressing million of turks (moral problem) and we would be going directly to a next bloody round (practical problem).

This is better. And I think that Greece should be independent, and not be ruled by Turks or Germans or the British. I think all Turks here agree with me on this point. Basically, you stay on your side of the Aegean, and we stay on our side. Venizelos and Ataturk accepted this. So can we.

Ah, by the way, its you that should bring documents that prove that Greece ever laid claims on Ankyra, not me. The suspect is innocent until the opposite is proved. So...

I hadn't said that the Greeks claimed Ankara.

Also note that Greece wanted to make peace from the begining of the war, but Ataturk would not accept.

This was the part I disagreed with, and you should prove this claim. Greeks hadn't talked to Ataturk at the beginning of the war.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>