Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In which language are you thinking?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In which language are you thinking?
    Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 03:23
I think either in English or symbolic giberrish, but often dream in languages in which i have been immersed at various points in time... mainly Hebrew, Cantonese and Farsi, although usually my dreams involve me trying in vain to communicate with someone in one of those languages! lol  ... when living in Israel, i often thought and dreamt in (elementary) Hebrew.

I've also developed the (somewhat irksome) habit of swearing under my breath in other languages (i often use Arabic swear words, which i picked up from living in Israel, and Russian, which i picked up from local Russian friends, and Israel. They just sound especially dirty, and stuck in my brain). I realize that may seem really lame, but im thus far unwilling to bother altering this already-learned behaviour.
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 05:08
We think in the language we try to express our ideas at the moment. That's much easier than translate it from your native language in your mind. That's most obvious when you have to translate from one non-native language to another non-native.  You wouldn't copy with that if you had your own language as necessary point of transmission. 
arsenka
Turkish Soul View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkish Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 22:36

I learnt English,I will also learn German and Italan.I also know Turkish so in the future it will be a very hard question to answer..

I think in both Turkish and English when I am in this forum. If I lived abroad I would think both English and Turkish.But in my daily life I am thinking Turkish because I am in Turkiye

dardanos
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote cebeci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:36

and interesting topic which i very earlier then now realized

i think it has a parallel echo with the question: do everybody see 'the color red' exactly as you see?

history is just a repetation of itself
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote cebeci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:38

there may be 6 billion forms of red and everybody would call the color red

there might be a topic about this before, i donno

cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote cebeci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:39
i always think turkish and act like a turkish
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:54

Originally posted by Halevi

I've also developed the (somewhat irksome) habit of swearing under my breath in other languages (i often use Arabic swear words, which i picked up from living in Israel, and Russian, which i picked up from local Russian friends, and Israel. They just sound especially dirty, and stuck in my brain). I realize that may seem really lame, but im thus far unwilling to bother altering this already-learned behaviour.

I learnt Russian in the Army  (British) and as part of the course we had special lectures in learning how to swear. I don't know of any other formal course in a language that has included a similar speciality

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 19:26
Generaly in English, though sometimes its clouded by Dutchisms, just individual words usualy, though it is interesting that i sometimes instinctivly associate certain things with the Dutch word over the English one mentaly.
Also for no reason, i sometimes catch myself counting in Dutch.

Of interest though, is whenever i encounter a new word, i instinctivly try to pronounce as if it were a Dutch word, like by brain just got stuck in that habit as a teenager, makes for good fun, especialy with the bizare spelling of some English words.
Arrrgh!!"
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 09:33

I like what Arsenka wrote:

We think in the language we try to express our ideas at the moment. That's much easier than translate it from your native language in your mind. That's most obvious when you have to translate from one non-native language to another non-native.  You wouldn't copy with that if you had your own language as necessary point of transmission. 

But I also agree with Serge about thought process in mages and feelings.  I think the question we are answering here is what language do we talk to ourselves in?  not what language do we think in.

There are some thoughts that I can only think in Turkish even though my Turkish is far from adequate.  Situations trigger memories in a specific language and therefore we 'think' in that language.

When I am in the mountains I think in Italian.  When I am at school ort thinking politics I think English.  And the same goes for dreams-- I used to dream in Portuguese when I lived in Brazil tho now I cannot string together a coherent portuguese sentence. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12