Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The United China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: Will China reunify?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [60.00%]
8 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Sino Defender View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The United China
    Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 02:40
Originally posted by Leonidas

Originally posted by OSMANLI

Mongolians are not ethnic Chinese why do think it should be part of China.

How about China stops occupying East Turkistan, Tibet Inner Mongolia. You have NO right over them, yet your greed makes you want more

Your excuse for taking lands such as Singapore is that they are ethnic Han, if that was the case let the majority of China free from han occupation

Osmanli makes a very good point, if you use ethnicity as an excuse for expansion . That would mean the PRC itself has to be defined along ethnic lines. Which inturn means that ethnic non han areas are no longer chinese by right. You cant have it both ways.

There is a total difference between ethnic identity and citizenship.

well, taiwan must be with china even if it means , east turkistan, tibet and mongolia are to be gone. taiwan is a chinese province, not a country.

"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 04:12

"well, taiwan must be with china even if it means , east turkistan, tibet and mongolia are to be gone. taiwan is a chinese province, not a country."

Agreed

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 07:11
Ive always liked tawain but ill trade it in for tibet, nei mongol and east turkistan any day

Edited by Leonidas
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 09:34

Originally posted by Sino Defender

the word "take back" wasn't used on singapore. "incorporated" was the word used on singapore, and i didn't mean militarily incorporated.

Then specify what you mean. Why pick on Singapore?

Why not the Ryukus or Japan? Historically, these territories (or some parts of these territories) acknowledged China as overlord and themselves in the status of vassals.

But not Singapore.

Why not Korea or Vietnam?

If Alberto Fujimori had been a Chinese descent instead of Japanese, would Peru be included?

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 10:00

Sino Defender

Have you ever met any Singaporeans? all my 4 tenants are  Chinese-Singaporean,  and trust me, you'd spend alot of time to "re-educate" them, if you are serious about your plan. i wouldnt be willing to help.

Edited by The Charioteer
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 10:16
Originally posted by The Charioteer

Have you ever met any Singaporeans? all my 4 tenants are  Chinese-Singaporean,  and trust me, you'd spend alot of time to "re-educate" them, if you are serious about your plan

Can you explain to avoid potential misinterpretations of your statement? I hope you mean the Singaporeans have such a strong Singaporean  national identity that it is naive to think that they would identify with the PRC as their "mother country".  

Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 11:31

Ive always liked tawain but ill trade it in for tibet, nei mongol and east turkistan any day

the issue of taiwan is emotionally, culturally, and politically attached with every chinese of chinese blood. it's not like tibet, east turkistan, and mongolia. the province of taiwan is part of the han culture.

"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 13:17
I think there's a rather significant "de-sinification" movement going on in Taiwan but I don't know how "mainstream" that movement is. I am not disputing that the majority of the Taiwanese (the indigenous Taiwanese are not "Han" people) are ethnically-speaking Han. I am just saying that the extent of "emotional, cultural, and political attachment" of the Taiwanese people to continental China may not be as "complete" as is insinuated here, especially given decades of Taiwan's independent sociocultural, economic, and political development from Mainland China.   
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:09

Originally posted by flyingzone

I think there's a rather significant "de-sinification" movement going on in Taiwan but I don't know how "mainstream" that movement is. I am not disputing that the majority of the Taiwanese (the indigenous Taiwanese are not "Han" people) are ethnically-speaking Han. I am just saying that the extent of "emotional, cultural, and political attachment" of the Taiwanese people to continental China may not be as "complete" as is insinuated here, especially given decades of Taiwan's independent sociocultural, economic, and political development from Mainland China.   

taiwan's population is not the majority of the chinese population. i am saying the majority of the chinese population of 1.3 billions.

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:20

There seems to be small movements to emphasize aboriginal culture, change the name from Republic of China to Taiwan, and to even create a new writing system.

Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:57

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

There seems to be small movements to emphasize aboriginal culture, change the name from Republic of China to Taiwan, and to even create a new writing system.

that's why i've always expected a war between both sides. america also fought a war to gain its independence. if taiwan wanted to be independent, it also would have to fight a war.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 00:21
Tawain should be alowed to vote for what it wants, and most importantly without fear.

Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:06

Tawain should be alowed to vote for what it wants, and most importantly without fear.

that's not realistic.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:24

i have a question

why china wants to expand more? i mean ok there are many chines living outside china but china itself is huge, and the population is huge. why adding more people to govern??

what Taiwan will add to china ?

or its just economy matters?

Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:38
Originally posted by azimuth

i have a question

why china wants to expand more? i mean ok there are many chines living outside china but china itself is huge, and the population is huge. why adding more people to govern??

taiwan has always been part of china under the repubic of china's government that once ruled all china. china is not trying to expand more, but to reunify. it's like the east and west germany issue, but only the mainland is much larger than the province of taiwan.

it is nothing about the economy. mainland china's gdp as a whole is much larger than that of taiwan. a war between mainland china and taiwan will probably result in a loss of gdp much greater than any gains in economic sense that china might need a few decades to recover.

it is about national and cultural unity. the chinese have been fighting for the unification of china for thousands of years.

taiwan is a very core part of the han culture. you might argue about tibet, inner mongolia, and east turkistan where the han culture isn't native. i am not denying anything, and i admit that tibet, inner mongolia, and east turkistan are part of china because of our military might.

but for taiwan, it's part of the han culture that china will risk everything holding on to it.

history has taught us that china can only be strong when it's unified. whenever china was divided, the country sufferred foreign inhuminations. a strong china is not what japan and the us want to see, and they are trying to delay the reunification of china

Edited by Sino Defender
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 03:34

taiwan has always been part of china under the repubic of china's government that once ruled all china. china is not trying to expand more, but to reunify. it's like the east and west germany issue, but only the mainland is much larger than the province of taiwan.

Historically, Taiwan had already been ceded to Japan in 1895 after the First Sino-Japanese War, and thus was not part of the Republic of China that was founded in 1911.

The ROC only took control of Taiwan in 1945 after Japan was defeated.

but for taiwan, it's part of the han culture that china will risk everything holding on to it.

Perhaps Taiwan is part of the Han culture, perhaps it is not.

But there is no rule nor logic that says those of the same culture must be part of the same nation.

Sukarno tried the same argument in claiming Malaysia and Singapore to be part of Indonesia.

Hitler did the same in claiming union of Germany with Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland. He was even welcomed in parts of the invaded territories with strong presence of "ethnic Germans".

Let's not forget what happened in former Yugoslavia when some Serbs tried to assert the ideology of "Greater Serbia".

Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 03:51

Though I don't agree with most of Sino Sword's statements, Taiwan issue was far more complicated than what most of westerner thought.

First, reunification of Taiwan was not driven by expansionism nor imperialsim. It had far more nationalistic, ethnic and emotional attachment. Taiwan was ceded because of Sino-Japanese War of 1945, it was first Han-dominated province ever surrenderd to the foreign power under Q'ing. The involment of national pride/shame on this issue was too great, especially most of pro-independists were also pro-Japanese.

The de-sinification movement in Taiwan was more a political movement rather than a genuine culture revolution. Let's put this way, many de-sinification tactics involved in protraying mainlanders or Chinese civilization in general as pure evil. Some of the pro-independist or de-sinification advoctors went as far as denying the existence of Nanking Massacre or refering all Chinese as pigs.

As a "mainlander" growing up in Taipei, I personally experienced the political fanatism going on the island right now. The island is now devided by two camps that swear to destroy each other (though the statement is abit exagerate) -  Conflicts within the political arena and among the general population raised as days gone by. The blinded political, ethnic frenzy was similar to pre-civil war American or even pre-Nazi germany.

The facts is (not exaggerated): if the pro-independent faction dare to declare independence, the pro-unification faction will immediately join with PRC and began a civil war. Both sides were willing to turn gun to their neighbours...

PS: If there are more Han Chinese residents in Tibet than Tibetans, and they want to remain unify with China dispite their Tibetan's will (only assumption)... how do you justify the idependence and what will you do with all the Han Chinese residents?

Edited by Dream208
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 19:44
Originally posted by snowybeagle

Historically, Taiwan had already been ceded to Japan in 1895 after the First Sino-Japanese War, and thus was not part of the Republic of China that was founded in 1911.

The ROC only took control of Taiwan in 1945 after Japan was defeated.

Perhaps Taiwan is part of the Han culture, perhaps it is not.

But there is no rule nor logic that says those of the same culture must be part of the same nation.

Sukarno tried the same argument in claiming Malaysia and Singapore to be part of Indonesia.

Hitler did the same in claiming union of Germany with Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland. He was even welcomed in parts of the invaded territories with strong presence of "ethnic Germans".

Let's not forget what happened in former Yugoslavia when some Serbs tried to assert the ideology of "Greater Serbia".

hong kong was ceded to britain in 1842, and is still part of china. china didn't control hong kong until 1997. foreign invasion doesn't make the splitting of chinese territories legitimate.

taiwan is part of the han culture, and even more so than mainland china itself after the cultural revolution. the traditional chinese culture, values, customs, and artifests survived because of taiwan. there is no question about it.

taiwan is part of china not because only of its culture, but all kinds of reasons. if it wanted to declare independence, there would be no alternative other than fighting a war against china. that's reality. face it.

Edited by Sino Defender
Baron
Baron

Quote Sino Defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 19:49

for dream: yes, the immigration of han chinese into tibet and xinjiang has made it almost impossible for any future independent movements to succeed as the han chinese have become, more or less, the majority of these regions. that's a smart way of keeping this land for china forever.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 20:00
Originally posted by azimuth

i have a question

I think many of us feel that the Chinese are very pragmatic and reasonable people.  However, I also understand that the Chinese consider all Chinese, wherever they are, and whenever they were born, to be Chinese.  There is a certain sense that the Chinese diaspora is a "part of China."

There are large Chinese populations in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, not to mention Taiwan.  It is possible that, in future, China may look on those ethnic Chinese as the Germans did the Germans of Poland and Czechoslovakia - ethnic kin to be "protected."  It could be an emotional attachment, but it could also be only a pretext for controlling strategic areas and economic resources necessary for the PRC (or whatever follows that).

I do not claim expert knowledge, but there seems to be a return to the concept that the "Middle Kingdom" is the center of all; that everything radiates from there and that other cultures are "barbarian" and that there is a rightness to the expansion of superior Chinese-Confucian civilization.

Just an observation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>