Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which are the real "world cities"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which are the real "world cities"?
    Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:31
Marseille, has a big problem sort of similar to SF. It's not the geographic center of its metroarea, basicly it's hard to tell of its Marseille who's part of a greater urban area or if it's only part of it despite being the largest city.

Same can be said about BCN, despite the fact they say it's 4,5 milion of people in the metroarea you can still debate that Barcelona is just part of it and not the central part. And we can also say the same thing for SF, is it part of Oackland metroarea or is Oackland part of the SF metroarea?

That's only because of arbitrary municipal definitions. I guess an study like this shoud consider connurbations (metroareas) and not just municipalities (which are extremely arbitrary).

Madrid is a huge municipal territory (having annexed most of its metropolitan area) while Barcelona's is tiny (having annexed nothing in a century). Guess the same has happened with Marseilles.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:33
Originally posted by Cywr

Why isn't Rio even mentioned, when it's a lot more cosmopolitan than Sao Paulo (despite its smaller size)?

Sao Paulo is more of a centre of finance/business and industry than Rio is. Its effectivly the economic and industrial capital of Brazil.

I don't say that Sao Paulo is not more important than Rio but that Rio is also very important. I can't believe that Copenhagen is in and Rio isn't.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 04:22
Originally posted by Maju

That's only because of arbitrary municipal definitions. I guess an study like this shoud consider connurbations (metroareas) and not just municipalities (which are extremely arbitrary).

Madrid is a huge municipal territory (having annexed most of its metropolitan area) while Barcelona's is tiny (having annexed nothing in a century). Guess the same has happened with Marseilles.

I think the studies here consider the metroarea not the city proper. Madrid is clearly the center of its metroarea, BCN isn't that obvious.

I'm pretty confident than this study is on the metroarea because Paris city proper is only 2 milion and then wouldn't deserve to be an alpha city, especialy considering the business district La Defense isn't in Paris municipality, the metroarea is over 11 milion and include La Defense.
Vae victis!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12