Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most influential recent president

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most influential recent president
    Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 16:33

who would you say is the most influential recent US president?  Next, who would you say of the last 50 yrs worldwide?

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 05:22

In terms of lethal influence: Dubya

For the rise of New Right: Reagan

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 16:43

I think reagan is really often overlooked in his influence.  Besides the cold war and image abroad, he really shaped domestic culture, for better or for worse.

He set back environmental policy and delayed energy conservation.  He cut welfare and halted reform efforts.    He reveresed alot of liberal policy and set the stage for a rebirth in conservatism, including silly things like metrication in the US.

Besides this he put pressure on the soviet union, showed the world a stronger, more unified America, and pushed for more efforts in suburbs, trying to cut urban decay.  The country was a much different place in 1984 than it had been from '82 earlier.  Much of this is due to his presidency coinciding with the high tech boom.  Factories had long closed, the cities largely abandoned, it was the peak of suburbia....mini malls, long commutes to work. etc

Edited by lennel
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 17:03
Isn't this thread supposed to be in International Affairs thread?
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 17:45
debated it, but since we're talking recent (up to 50 yrs back) presidents, I thought modern history would be the best forum.  Either one would work though, in my opinion
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 17:55
I still hate Ronald Reagan - no logical idea why. I just hear the name and I think... snake. My Grandmother thinks he's the equivalent of an antiChrist.

Clinton affected the Balkans much more than either Bush ever did. Worldwide, I'd say George W. Bush. He's destroyed America's reputation almost entirely.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 20:31

Originally posted by Mila

I still hate Ronald Reagan - no logical idea why. I just hear the name and I think... snake. My Grandmother thinks he's the equivalent of an antiChrist.

Why does she not like him?

Worldwide, I'd say George W. Bush. He's destroyed America's reputation almost entirely.

Meh, in a decade or two no one will remember.  The masses have short memories.

Member of IAEA
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 02:52

not the masacred ones'...
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 03:33
Most influential in recent times? Definitely Reagan.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 22:53
Originally posted by kotumeyil

not the masacred ones'...

They won't even be around to remember.  And even then, the civilian deaths in Iraq aren't that bad compared to other major wars, and most of those have been caused by the insurgents.  More people are going to have family members killed by Saddam whom America then toppled than will have family members untouched by the Ba'ath party and then have family members killed by Americans.  Counties like Germany and France aren't even going to remember 5 years after we take major combat forces out of Iraq, if not sooner.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 00:56
Reagan is to conservatives what JFK is to liberals: a symbolic representation of what a good president is about.

Reagan is getting credit for things that he didn't do, just like JFK. I cringe every time he is credited with the end of the cold war. He just followed a policy set up by Truman at the end of WWII and followed by every president since then. And beside "take down that wall," most people cannot give a list of his accomplishments.

Just like JFK, his legacy is mostly a myth.

And, if you don't like Bush as the answer, then the most influential president of the last 50 years is Nixon.

Nixon is not influential for his policies, but for his methods and for the movement that his downfall spawned.

Nixon's Southern Strategy, that of playing on the racial prejudices of the population, set a key rule for electoral victories for the Republican Party. Reaching out to extremists, either racist or religious fundamentalists, became a party tradition.

Also, this was the point where a now 30-year-campaign of attacking the media and taking over it started, as young Republicans at the time attributed the downfall of Nixon and the fall of support for the Vietnam War to the media coverage.

Today the U.S. media is a cruel caricature of what it was during the Nixon era. They constantly self-censor, and defend the president's actions in the hopes of being seen as balanced by right wing ideologues.

Most of the thugs in the White House today were young members of the Nixon White House. There they learned their dirty tricks, ruthlessness, and cynicism. However, they surpassed their master. Even Kissenger wouldn't have dared to do as much as these people do.
bradcorazon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bradcorazon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 15:32

Most influential for good: If we are allowed to go as far back as WWII then I'd say FDR is the best recent Pres.  If not, then I'd say Reagan

Most influential for bad: Jimmie Carter.   

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 11:54

Originally posted by lennel

debated it, but since we're talking recent (up to 50 yrs back) presidents, I thought modern history would be the best forum.  Either one would work though, in my opinion

Definitely Modern History

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 21:59

Originally posted by bradcorazon

Most influential for bad: Jimmie Carter.   

Jimmy Carter is everything I hate in a human being.

Member of IAEA
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 22:12

Clinton affected the Balkans much more than either Bush ever did. 

Would you say he affected the Balkans positively or negatively? What is the Bosnian perspective on the American role in the Balkans?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 22:23
Reagan: for bad and without any mental effort... guess he was manioulated by the same camarilla that are now behind GWB. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 12:15

I think its far too early to know who is the most influential of the, say, past 10 presidents (post 1952). My own guesses would be Reagan and George W. Bush, but both require a lot more historical perspective.

The least influential -- Eisenhower, Kennedy, Carter, Ford, Clinton -- but those are wild guesses also. I would add Bush Sr, but he did manage the end of the USSR very well, but besides that, he would be in this ranking.

Post Reply Post Reply