Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottomans In The Indian Ocean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottomans In The Indian Ocean
    Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 21:34

It is amazing how successful the Ottomans were in establishing control over first the Eastern Mediterranean and then ultimately in expanding into the Indian Ocean.  They went from being a mostly land-based conglomeration of Central Asian tribes to a unified people that was militarily dominant on land and sea during the reign of Suleiman I.

It seems that keeping the Ottoman navy strong and technologically fit was a priority of the sultans of the 16th century.  Bayezid II completed the conquest of the Aegean islands that was started by Mehmed the Conqueror.  Selim I defeated the Mamluks in Egypt and extended control over Syria and part of the Arabian peninsula.  And, of course, Suleiman I  expanded the empire over the coast of North Africa and solidified the Ottomans' position in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf.  Although the navy suffered a defeat by the Portuguese in the 1550's and at the battle of Lepanto, it seems that the navy was built back up afterwards.

Seeing all these successes and the fact that the Ottomans were giving the other European maritime powers something to be afraid of, some things are still perplexing to me:

Was there a significant change in Ottoman naval technology from the navy's beginnings under Mehmet II to its height under Selim II?  Did they make ships that would be able to sail in open ocean waters and that could compete with large European ships?

How far into the Indian Ocean did the Ottomans go; did they make it to the East Indies or did they just concentrate on the spice trade with India?

It seems to me that since the Ottomans had an alliance with France and was on friendly terms with some of the Protestant principalities that they could have used this to their advantage in the Mediterranean, and could have concentrated even more on expansion in the Indian Ocean.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:10
Ottomans were not merchants... they exerted a diffusse moral protection via the Caliphate over the rest of Sunni Muslims. This way they had contacts with Zanzibar and India and Malaysia but it wasn't their profession to trade but to rule an empire.

They don't seem to have been prepared for any serious conflict in their Indian Ocean backyars and lost ground to the Portuguese initially.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:14
Originally posted by Maju

Ottomans were not merchants... they exerted a diffusse moral protection via the Caliphate over the rest of Sunni Muslims. This way they had contacts with Zanzibar and India and Malaysia but it wasn't their profession to trade but to rule an empire.

They don't seem to have been prepared for any serious conflict in their Indian Ocean backyars and lost ground to the Portuguese initially.
Ottomans sended troops and some teachers in indian oceanic country's, indonesia for example they builded there "medresse's" settled there Turkmen population (mostly in atjeh). As far as i know they where only sended by invite of the indian king (who had chosen Islam as religion) to secure those places and for trading.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 23:08

This way they had contacts with Zanzibar and India and Malaysia but it wasn't their profession to trade but to rule an empire.

At Constantinople, the Ottoman sultans were suddenly enthroned at the strategic location that the Byzantine emperors were at for so long.  They took advantage of it and asserted themselves in the Levantine trading networks. 

It would seem that their conquest of the Mamluk kingdom in Egypt, Syria, and the fact that they gained control of the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf would mean that they were interested in broadening their trade network. 

Yes, the sultans were concerned with ruling an empire and extending its boundaries, but don't you think trade was vital to their empire?

After the defeat of Selim II's navy at Lepanto, it seems the Ottoman navy was rebuilt.  However, it looks like there was a policy change towards maintaining control of the Mediterranean and pushing West on land into Hapsburg territory.  Operations in the Indian Ocean and Eastern Africa fell by the wayside.

Originally posted by DayI

Ottomans sended troops and some teachers in indian oceanic country's, indonesia for example they builded there "medresse's" settled there Turkmen population (mostly in atjeh). As far as i know they where only sended by invite of the indian king (who had chosen Islam as religion) to secure those places and for trading.

Were there any military campaigns conducted with these troops in Indonesia?  I wonder how the Ottoman military machine fared in the tropics of the Java islands...

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 13:30

I've never heard of military campaigns in Indonesia by Ottoman forces, i can be wrong dear byzantine emperor.

Also Ottomans sended similar ship to Japan in late 18th century who later sunk near one of the islands of japan. Its named "Ertughrul" ship, in east asia subforum whas there a topic about created by jagatai khan.

Edited by DayI
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 18:29

I've never heard of military campaigns in Indonesia by Ottoman forces, i can be wrong dear emperor barbarossa.

Hmmm...maybe I read your previous post wrong.  You said that the Ottomans sent troops to some "Indian oceanic countries."  Can you clarify what you meant?

Also I am the Byzantine Emperor, not the western "emperor" Barbarossa!

Going along with what Maju posted earlier, since Ottoman sultans supplanted or actually became the new Caliphs and were responsible for protecting Sunni Muslims and extending the boundaries of Islam, was it not the Turks who brought Islam to Indonesia and the Oceanic islands?  If not, which Muslims converted the populations there?

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I've never heard of military campaigns in Indonesia by Ottoman forces, i can be wrong dear emperor barbarossa.

Hmmm...maybe I read your previous post wrong.  You said that the Ottomans sent troops to some "Indian oceanic countries."  Can you clarify what you meant?

I guess those solders where sent wich gave the message to the indo king "i secure you, youre under my wing now"

I know they sended troops because when there the tsunami break out (in atjeh) a Turkish village whas destructed from the tsunami and the earthquake and such. they told the inhabitants of the village where mainly Ottoman soldiers who where once sended to india to secure that island and for good relation/tradingship.

sorry for misspelling youre nick, ill edit it.

Edited by DayI
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 00:20
I remember reading something about an Ottoman encounter with a native black African tribe on the Eastern coast of Africa.  What happened, from what I recall, is that the Turks were trying to either establish a trading contact at the port town or they were trying to outright take it over.  The tribe caught wind of this and trekked northward and actually expelled the Ottomans from the town and the Turks were amazed at their fierceness.  Has anyone read or heard of something similar?

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 13:04

It seems to me that the Ottomans did have a trade-related interest in conquering Egypt, Mesopotamia and the Hejaz, so as to share a part of the Indian Ocean trade. However, I don't think that they were directly involved as a maritime power, at least not on a large scale. Rather, by controlling the 3 strategic bottlenecks of the 16th century Eurasian trade system: the Red Sea, the Persian Gulf and the Black Sea, they got a share of all the commercial traffic passing through those areas. Why would they incurr the expense and risk of a large commercial fleet, when others could do it, and they cvould take part of the spoils?

I believe that this attitude was ultimately very detrimental to them. Once the Portuguese circumvented Africa and disrupted the millenia-old Indian Ocean commercial system; and once cheap silver started to flow in from the Americas, creating high inflation in an empire where silver was the basis of commercial exchange, then the economy of the Ottoman Empire entered a crisis. Had the Ottomans had a strong commercial and military fleet, they could have taken matters in their own hands, challenged the Portuguese and later the Dutch, and maintain the traditional trade routes from India, China and the Spice Islands through the Indian Ocean and on to Europe. Instead, they found themselves mired in an economic crisis that prevented them from building that fleet and creating companies which could compete with the Europeans in the global trade. In my opinion, it was this failure more than anything that led to the decline of the Ottoman Empire.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Going along with what Maju posted earlier, since Ottoman sultans supplanted or actually became the new Caliphs and were responsible for protecting Sunni Muslims and extending the boundaries of Islam, was it not the Turks who brought Islam to Indonesia and the Oceanic islands?  If not, which Muslims converted the populations there?

If I am not wrong mughal traders.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 14:46

Originally posted by Decebal

Rather, by controlling the 3 strategic bottlenecks of the 16th century Eurasian trade system: the Red Sea, the Persian Gulf and the Black Sea, they got a share of all the commercial traffic passing through those areas. Why would they incurr the expense and risk of a large commercial fleet, when others could do it, and they cvould take part of the spoils?

Ah, so in this part of the empire, the Ottomans basically sat back and collected the customs duties from other merchants who were using their Arabian port towns.

It is interesting to note that in this part of the world, where Islam had not yet touched (southeastern Africa, southern India, and the Oceanic islands) the Ottomans were more focused on tending to their economic interests than extending the boundaries of the Muslim world.

I believe that this attitude was ultimately very detrimental to them. Once the Portuguese circumvented Africa and disrupted the millenia-old Indian Ocean commercial system; and once cheap silver started to flow in from the Americas, creating high inflation in an empire where silver was the basis of commercial exchange, then the economy of the Ottoman Empire entered a crisis. Had the Ottomans had a strong commercial and military fleet, they could have taken matters in their own hands, challenged the Portuguese and later the Dutch, and maintain the traditional trade routes from India, China and the Spice Islands through the Indian Ocean and on to Europe. Instead, they found themselves mired in an economic crisis that prevented them from building that fleet and creating companies which could compete with the Europeans in the global trade. In my opinion, it was this failure more than anything that led to the decline of the Ottoman Empire.

Good point.  I forgot about the financial crisis in the Ottoman Empire that occurred as a result of the flow of silver into Europe from the colonies.  The 1-2 punch of that and the defeat and destruction of their navy at Lepanto and by the Portuguese kind of spelled the end of Ottoman expansionist aspirations.

Originally posted by Mortaza

If I am not wrong mughal traders.

Really?  Can you elaborate any further?

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 14:55

Really?  Can you elaborate any further?

No I just remember it somewhere, I am sure they were traders, but dont sure If mughal or arab one.

Edited by Mortaza
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 22:07

This is a fascinating exchange. The Ottomans are often identified as one of the least geographically curious of Empires, but that label is probably not deserved if the discussion is accurate.

Day1, I would love to learn more about the Ottoman vessel that sank en route to Japan.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 13:02
One area that is usually overlooked is the Ottoman dominance of the Black Sea, which continued unchallenged until the 18th century. This dominance ensured their control of the regions surrounding the Black Sea, both militarily and economically. It was this region which ended up feeding the large metropolis of Istanbul. Products from the Crimea, the Danubian provinces (Wallachia and Moldavia), Bulgaria, the Caucasus, Circassia, even Persia and Poland were all transported through the Black Sea, on a very large commercial fleet consisting mostly of small ships. Many of the janissaries who ended up as the backbone of the Ottoman army, at least during the high mark of the devshirme system, were from regions bordering the Black Sea. It has been said that the Black Sea was for the Ottomans waht the "Indies" were for the Europeans.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 15:09

Check this out, memoirs of an Ottoman Admiral, shipwrecked in the Indian Ocean. Great read:

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00generallinks/ sidialireis/

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:30

Originally posted by Cunctator

This is a fascinating exchange. The Ottomans are often identified as one of the least geographically curious of Empires, but that label is probably not deserved if the discussion is accurate.

Thanks for your interest, Cunctator!  The Ottomans are indeed interesting in terms of their historical geography.  It is interesting to note how close the borders of their empire mirrored those of the Byzantine Empire at its zenith in the 6th century. 

Also, the Ottomans are often forgotten in the large picture of world expansion in the 15th-17th centuries.  Of course they were not nearly as involved as the Spanish and others, but they still were still attempting expansion beyond the Mediterranean.

Many of the janissaries who ended up as the backbone of the Ottoman army, at least during the high mark of the devshirme system, were from regions bordering the Black Sea. It has been said that the Black Sea was for the Ottomans waht the "Indies" were for the Europeans.

That's true.  Many of the Janissaries were actually Circassians, especially in the later period of the Ottoman Empire.

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Check this out, memoirs of an Ottoman Admiral, shipwrecked in the Indian Ocean. Great read:

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00generallinks/ sidialireis/

Cool!  Thanks, I will check it out.

Keep contributing everyone, pose questions or just ramble on.  Let's keep a good historical thread alive!  I am extremely busy with school this week, but I will keep checking.  I hope to join in more once I can read some of the books I got on the subject, next week. 

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 13:57

One of The last attempts of Ottoman empire spreading his power whas to singapore in 1895 during Abdulhamit II, they sended many proffessor's (religious ones mainly) and the first translated Qur'an to malay language. The other main whas to have close ties with eastern muslim country's and good/secure trade route.

Then later they sended a boat (ertugrul) to japan, in return it whas sunk by heavy storms, they say adbulhamit didnt eat or speak for days/weeks when he heard that because he sended his best men (around 500) to japan to have close ties with them.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 18:07
Ottoman empire had even contacts with Mexico, in 1910 they sended an Clocktower as a gift of friendship to Mexico wich stand still in Mexico city. Some pictures of it:

http://img125.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=68123_IMG_0673_182lo.JPG
http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=68133_IMG_0674_244lo.JPG
http://img147.imagevenue.com/view.php?loc=loc184&image=68141_IMG_0676_184lo.JPG&page=4&track_id=1158508529
http://img103.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=68171_IMG_0680_261lo.JPG
http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=68214_IMG_0687_80lo.JPG

The text on the first picture "La colonia ottomana" does it mean "The ottoman colony"?

And an article about that sunken Ertugrul ship
http://www.turkey.jp/english/ertugrulfrigate.htm

Edited by DayI - 17-Sep-2006 at 18:13
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 20:19

The star-crescent placement in the flag of Aceh independentist movement (Indonesia) has its roots back to the 1570s. The Acehnese Head of State asked Ottoman Sultan's protection and the Ottoman Sultan of the time, Selim II, ordered his chief of Navy, Hizir Reis to sail to Sumatra and issued a sanjak (provincial flag) to Aceh declaring his protection over the land with an order dated September 21, 1567. After this grant of the sanjak, the Acehnese ruler welcomed the Ottoman flag and used the Turkish Crescent-Star figure in his own as his people's gratitude. That part of the world was governed independently under Ottoman protection until the second half of the 1800s, when Ottoman overseas influence depleted to its minimum thereby opening the way to Dutch colonization attempts, which continued up and down until the formation of the Indonesian state in the 1940s.

The dominion of North Sumatra. A history of the sultanates of Samudera-Pasai and Aceh and their relations with the Portuguese (1500-1580).

by Peter Borschberg

Chapter 4 is dedicated to the sultanate of Aceh, the other major power in the north of Sumatra. Here Alves places the decline and eventual absorption of Samudera-Pasai against the backdrop of a rapidly expanding Aceh from the late fifteenth century up to the year 1579. Drawing on a range of primary sources, such as the Hikayat Aceh and Portuguese chroniclers, and well-known secondary sources, the author gives synopses of the growth, consolidation, and confrontations of the Acehnese kingdom from its origins in the late fifteenth century through 1579. The account spans a truly fascinating period in Aceh's history, including its relations with the Ottoman Turks and its hostilities with rival mercantile kingdoms and tribes, including, significantly, Melaka and Aru.

Banda Aceh- Turkey Friendship

Amazing video!

Turks only realised this part of their history after there humanitarian efforts to the region. They were suprised seeing people waving Turkish flags and even more suprised when some locals said they were Turks. The ministers in the area say they come from Turkish families. Apparently, the Ottomans as was there custom sent a population of Turkmens to settle there. Many Soldiers and teachers were also sent. Most those ho went were Men and married local woman mixing into society. Aceh had allegience to the Ottomans and their flag today still shows this. Most people in the area have good relations with Turks.

This amazing history isvbeing re-discovered, apparently theybuilt a fortress and other buildings.

Indonesia and Turkey are incresing and promoting their ties.

Alot of Ottoman history has actually been overlooked.

There are apparently Turkish populations in Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea and other areas of East Africa.

Also many Black Africans some put figures at 500,000 migrated to what is today's Turkey during Ottoman times including a powerfull Sudanese leader.

Then there is the question about, "Turks and Caicous" islands, I recently read somewhere that it was an Ottoman land when the Europeans arrived and had a Crescent and Star flag untill the 18th Century.

The Ottoman Archives really need better exammining!

Edited by Bulldog - 17-Sep-2006 at 20:24
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 12:14
Bulldog, I would appreciate it if you'd write more your own story, and not so much sourcing. Thanks, just a reminder.

DayI,

The text on the first picture "La colonia ottomana" does it mean "The ottoman colony"?

This most surely does mean 'the Ottoman colony' as much as my French skills allow for any interpretation of the Latin languages.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>