Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite culture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What’s your favorite ancient civilization and culture?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.46%]
2 [2.99%]
3 [4.48%]
20 [29.85%]
4 [5.97%]
6 [8.96%]
1 [1.49%]
18 [26.87%]
1 [1.49%]
7 [10.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite culture
    Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 16:24

Originally posted by BlindOne

Well my favorite culture is Greek-roman. Pure greeks isn't for me  . But well greek and roman culture have been come close then much nice thinks were born (Exept the acts in collosium ).

There isn't a pure greek culture? Usually, the name Greco-roman was used about the roman civilization because it was deeply affected by the greek. It doesn't mean that these two civilizations couldn't survive alone but only united.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 19:28

my favourite area ephesus

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 15:25
why isnt Armenia on the list , but If to choose from the list I would say
the Greeks, their commitement to every practice in the world is far above
the others...I think, in the Ancient times, at least
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 16:05
Romans are my favourite. Greeks also contributed many great things to human civilization.
Turkish Soul View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkish Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 19:42
There are no best nations I think.I was also  a bit surprised when I could not see the Turks.If there is a comparing question, the asker should give the chance the answers to choose from objective ones.Alla nations wasn't written.I won't vote.
dardanos
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 08:44
I must say Persian civilization is pretty cool, although its hard to separate it from the Islamic, and even Chinese, influences it absorbed. Im talking mostly about esthetic things like visual arts (miniatures, carpets, architecture, mosaics, etc) and *especially* traditional Persian music, which is amazing. Then, of course, there are the great Sufi poets, Mowlana (Rumi), Hafez, etc.

Other significant civilizations missing from the poll:

Buddhist civilization in general.. while not limited to one ethnic group or monarchy, there is quite a philosophical and artistic heritage there

Jewish civilization in general ... perhaps the most globally influential 'stateless civilization' (post-Roman expulsion), making countless contributions to many host civilzations
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkish Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 18:21
Ottoman empire of course.
dardanos
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 18:57
Originally posted by Turkish Soul

You surprise me.
Unfortunately, the question in the "Ancient Mediterranean...Forum" clearly asks for an "Ancient" culture and, unless there is something that I don't know, the Ottoman culture hardly qualifies as "Ancient".
More attention, less patriotism!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkish Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:17

Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Turkish Soul

You surprise me.
Unfortunately, the question in the "Ancient Mediterranean...Forum" clearly asks for an "Ancient" culture and, unless there is something that I don't know, the Ottoman culture hardly qualifies as "Ancient".
More attention, less patriotism!

You're right.Sorry.I will be more careful.

dardanos
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:35
I would say Greco-Roman civilisation:this means  the wisdom and greatness of the Greeks in philosophical matters, in sciences and in technology mixed with the practical spirit of the Romans,the Roman law and their superb talent in organisation and in command.

AthaNnikIcHaA View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AthaNnikIcHaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 09:06

Indian.

I mean Red-Indian.

Baingan Khaa Lo Baingan
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 05:48
As a Greek it's no surprise that my favourite civilization and culture is the Hellenic.
Apart from that, I also have great respect for Egyptians and Romans as well.
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 06:05
I'm Iranian & my choice is obvious.

the next choice is India
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:09
for me, the empires that have affected human history and civilisation the most are the romans, persians, chinese, and egyptians, but because this is a "your favourite civilisation thread" i would have to say persians then, DUH!
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
MYTHOS View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MYTHOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 13:20
It's hard to be objective when you favour one civilization over the other.  They all deserve credit for how the world is shaped today... but... I'll go with the GREEKS.
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 08:55
It's impossible to include all the alternative choices you want but the turkic isn't known as "ancient" and it was not a classic one, so I had to choose between more well known civilizations. The same about the armenian.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 09:47

Why doesn't the poll give us any chance to Anatolian culture/civilisation? Anatolia is the exact bridge between East and West, where more than half of the historical treaties ever were signed, where hundreds of different religions and cultures from Galatians to Mongolians, from Romans to Persians, from Hittites to Turks, and people from Hannibal to Santa Claus, from Suleyman to Alexander, from the caliphs to St. Paul and Mary have passed through Anatolia is tha land where these different cultures were synthesized and digest.

Where the greatest mosques of Islamic world are built and where bible was written... Anatolia is not only a piece of land, or an ancient region, it is the home for both eastern and western civilisation and cultures. My vote should definatly be for Anatolia, the Hatti land, home of civilisations, where the sun rises and goes down. Anatolia, is the heaven, with Sakarya, Kizilirmak, Euphrates and Tigris...

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 12:39
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Why doesn't the poll give us any chance to Anatolian culture/civilisation? Anatolia is the exact bridge between East and West, where more than half of the historical treaties ever were signed, where hundreds of different religions and cultures from Galatians to Mongolians, from Romans to Persians, from Hittites to Turks, and people from Hannibal to Santa Claus, from Suleyman to Alexander, from the caliphs to St. Paul and Mary have passed through Anatolia is tha land where these different cultures were synthesized and digest.

Where the greatest mosques of Islamic world are built and where bible was written... Anatolia is not only a piece of land, or an ancient region, it is the home for both eastern and western civilisation and cultures. My vote should definatly be for Anatolia, the Hatti land, home of civilisations, where the sun rises and goes down. Anatolia, is the heaven, with Sakarya, Kizilirmak, Euphrates and Tigris...

i agree,where is lydian,hittie,frigya culture.these cultures biggest than lot of on list

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Richard Coyle View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Richard Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 13:38
The Greeks are number one for all time.

Edited by Richard Coyle
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 21:58
TURKISH SOUL.....all i can say is that the man taking off his glasses again, and again, AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!! IT IS FREAKIN ME OUT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12