Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Most Important Artifact

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Most Important Artifact
    Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 17:02
your country's most important ARTIFACT

Of all the objects left behind throughout history, and all of the stories they come from and tell us about - which, from your country or representing your people, is the most important?

Your answer has to be a single object - it can be as big as the Great Wall of China, or as small as a single arrowhead. Obviously for many countries and many cultures, the amount of objects remaining from the past are numerous so it doesn't have to be the universally accepted, most important artifact if one exists - but the one most important to you.

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 17:10
The most important artifact from Bosnia and Herzegovina's history is the charter of Ban Kulin.

From Answers.com: ""The Charter of Kulin" is a symbolic "birth certificate" of Bosnian statehood, as it is the first written document that talks of Bosnian borders (between the rivers of Drina, Sava, and Una) and of the elements of the Bosnian state: its ruler, throne and political organization. The Charter was a trade agreement between Bosnia and republic of Dubrovnik."

The greeting of the charter reads:

"In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. I, Kulin, ban of Bosnia, swear to be a true friend to you, prince Kr'vas, and to all citizens of Dubrovnik from now on and forever - and to keep true peace with you, and true faith, as long as I am alive. All Dubrovnik people who go through my domain trading, wherever anyone wants to move or wherever anyone passes, I will, in true faith and with a true heart, keep them without any loss, unless someone from among them wishes to give me a gift, and let there be no violence against them by my officers; And as long as they are in my lands, I will give them advice and help as I would to myself and the Bosnia people, as much as I am able, without any evil intention, so help me God and this holy Gospel. The ban's clerk wrote this document by the command of the ban, one thousand and one hundred and eighty and nine years from the birth of Christ, the month of August, the twenty-ninth day, the day of the beheading of John the Baptist."

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 17:19

Sumerian artifact(Standard Of Ur)2600 B.C

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 17:33
Euskara: our language. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 03:25

The Pantheon in Rome:

The symbol of ancient religious tolerance and the superiority of ancient paganism to monotheistic intolerant semitic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 03:41
Surely the Christians shut the Pantheon down?
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 04:05

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Surely the Christians shut the Pantheon down?

No, they did the same thing the muslims did with Hagia Sofia in Costantinople: they converted it in a temple of their religion

amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 06:01

Pakistans Artifact- Indus Valley Seals

(3000-2600B.C)

One of the worlds three great known ancient civilizations (with Egypt and Mesopotamia), and covering the largest land area.

No King, No slaves, Advanced agriculture, Public Baths, Multi-story houses with advanced drainage systems.

Indus Valley Seals

Unicorn Seal

Bull Seal

Bison Seal

Read more about this civilization with 3-d reconstruction of their cities here: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_civilization

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

Edited by amir khan
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 06:23

Sumerian artifact(Standard Of Ur)2600 B.C(Peace standard)

Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 06:29

Sumerian Lyre 3000 B.C

Khalid Bin Walid
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 06:31

Beautiful Lyre! (the beard on the goat is funny, though!)

And the sumerian standard colours are so rich and vivid, for an artifact of that age.

Edited by amir khan
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 16:12
It's a bull... 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 16:41
Originally posted by Leonardo

The Pantheon in Rome:

The symbol of ancient religious tolerance and the superiority of ancient paganism to monotheistic intolerant semitic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).

The Pantheon of Rome is in fact an architectural master work. The copula is built by concrete. ancient Romers wer the first who used concrete for  buildings.

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 16:41
I geuss what Mila's is, is mine.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 18:50

"Szczerbiec" - "Notched Sword"

Ceremonial sword of Polish kings. Legend say that king Boleslav the Brave notched the sword when hit Golden Gate of Kiev when invaded Kievan Rus and captured city in year 1008. Altough it cannot be truth because Golden Gate was constructed about year 1038 so 30 years later. For centuries it was used during coronation ceremonies of Polish kings. The sword itself is also probably younger and comes from 12 century, not 11th.

On the head of the sword is monogram of the God, letters Alfa and Omega, surrounded by inscription: HEC FIGURA VALET AD AMOREM REGUM ET PRINCIPIUM IRAS IUDICUM.

In other place are the names of evangelists: IHOANNES, MMTHCUS (Matheus), MARCUS, LUCAS and their symbols.

There is also inscription in Hebrew, written in latin letters: CON CITOMON EEWE SEDALAI EBREHEL" (Powerful faith comes from the names of God SEDALAI and EBREHEL)

On the opposite side inscription: QUICUM QUE HEC NOMINA DEI SECUM TULERIT PERICULUM EL OMNINO NOCEBIT (whoever will carry those names of God may not fear any danger)

In 1795 Royal Treasure was robbed by the Prussians and carried to Berlin. In 1819 was found in the collection of Russian prince Dymitri Labanov-Rostocki who sells it to the collection of other prince in Florence, Italy. There is found and bought by Pole A.P. Bazylewski. Noone know what happend next but in 1878 the sword is found in Paris where is exposed on the World Exposition and being recognised. There sword was bought by Ermitage, museum in St. Petersburg. After Polish-Soviet war 1919-1920 Poland forces Soviet Union to give the sword back, as part of the peace treaty of Riga and in 1924 sword comes back to Royal Castle in Cracow. In 1939 is being hidden from Germans, in 1940 evacuated to France and finally is found in Canada where from comes back to Poland in 1961. Right now can be seen in the museum of Royal Castle in Cracow.

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 00:58

Originally posted by Maju

It's a bull... 

Lighten up Maju! Don't be so serious all the time.

But o.k., In interest of accuracy it is a Bull.

A bull with a beard is even funnier

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

FREEDOM, EQUALITY, LIBERTY, (and because we live in the real world) A HEALTHY DOSE OF COMMON SENSE!

Edited by amir khan
Kamran the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kamran the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 04:17

"The Cylinder of Cyrus the Great" (the world's very first charter of human rights) ... among many many many others

see http://www.iranchamber.com/history/cyrus/cyrus_charter.php if interested

Edited by Kamran the Great
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 08:28

Unquestionably the Holy Crown:

It was considered the physical manifestation of the nation till 1949. Altough its legal relevance ceased, but remained the most important artifact of Hungary.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 14:19

About crowns, we in Italy have the famous iron crown:

Some historical informations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Crown_of_Lombardy

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 14:32
The Constitution of the United States of America...too bad none of the politicians seem to respect it as much as I do.  Well, they will get theirs eventually when I seize power and execute them for treaon.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>