Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

February 11th: 1st Spanish Republic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February 11th: 1st Spanish Republic
    Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 06:55
Today in 1873, the Spanish Cortes (parlament), after being slammed by the briefly king Amadeo I, proclaimed the Republic.

Flag of the 1st Spanish Republic

The day before, constitutional king Amadeo of Savoy had abdicated as king of Spain, declaring that the Spaniards "were ingovernable". In this situation the Cortes, unwilling to allow the return of the absolutist Bourbons, declared the Republic, after an incediary discourse of Emilio Castelar.

Alegory of the Republican proclamation by a contemporary magazine

Republicans though were divided between Unitarians and Federalists. Initially Estanislao Figueras, a weak figure, is elected as President, supported by the Unitarians. Nevertheless, by June, the Constitutive Cortes, drafted a federal constitution and procalimed Francisco Pi i Margall as new President.

Francisco Pi i Margall, second President of Spain

But institutional federalism, that stabilished a limited ammount of states seemed little thing for the aspirations of provincial federalists, who led a cantonalist uprising, with each city or province claiming for their own sovereignity...

Simultaneously fundamenatlist Carlist rebellion (also fed by ethnic grievances against the Liberal centralist state) was benefitting from the chaos to improve its positions taking some cities in the Basque Country and Catalonia.

Pi i Margall is briefly replaced by Nicols Salmeron, who leads the counter attack against the Cantonalists and Carlists, restoring the state in most of Spain, except Cartagena (Cantonalists) and Pamplona (Carlists).

Nocols Salmern, 3rd President

But the Federalists had been weakened by the cantonalist revolt and now a Unitarian, Castelar takes over, with Monarchist support, reinforcing the reaction of the central state against all revolts, including the one in Cuba, restoring the death penalty.

Emilio Castelar, 4th and last democratic President of the 1st Republic

In January 2 1874, Castelar is lef in minority in the Cortes, what implied a return of the Federalists to the government. In that situation a General Pava staged a coup, entering the Cortes on horse and sabre in hand, supported by military police forces (Guardia Civil). Castelar that didn't want to stay in power with such unwanted and anti-democratic support, abdicated.

He was replaced by General Serrano, who ruled by decree, with Monarchist support.  After almost a year, in December 1874, another coup demands the restoration of the Bourbon dynasty, which would eventually be effective in January 1875, under a constitutional but corrupt system.

Some other things that happened today:
  • 660 - traditonal date of the foundation of Japan by Jimmu Tenno

Traditional depiction of the event

• 1531 - Henry VIII is recognized as supreme head of the Church of England
  • 1808 - experimentation with mineral anthracite coal proves it effective as fuel
  • 1916 - Emma Goldman is arrested for lecturing on birth control

Anarcho-communist leader Emma Goldman
  • 1929 - the last European theocracy is created by a treaty between Mussolini and Pietro Gasparri. The Vatican state was created this way

Map of the Vatican city
  • 1963 - The Beatles publish their first record: Please, please me.

The revolutionary vinil's cover
  • 1979 - Ayatollah Khomeini seizes power in Iran

The Ayatollah (is there any other?)
  • 1990 - Nelson Mandela is finally released after 27 years imprisioned

Nelson (he's also unique)

• 1991 - the UNPO, the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization is created in The Hague
Ful list: Wikipedia.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 07:44
Shanbe, 22 Bahman

1979: Islamic Revolution day & end of 2600years Monarchy in Iran.

Shah left Iran to Exile

The Iranian Revolution was the 1979 revolution that transformed Iran from a pro-western constitutional monarchy, under Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, to an Islamic, populist theocratic republic under the rule of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. The revolution has been divided into two stages: the first stage saw an alliance of liberal, leftist, and religious groups oust the Shah; the second stage, often named the Islamic Revolution, saw the Ayatollah's rise to power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_revolution
http://www.iranianshistoryonthisday.com/FARSI.ASP?u=&I1. x=22&I1.y=11&GD=11&GM=2

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 07:50

Look a woman!! without headscarf in the "ISLAMIC" revolution, why is she so happy? because the betrayal has not yet happened. 

Khomeini seized nothing, he was given everything on a platter.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 07:54

The Shah was a useless good for nothing coward, he shoul dhave stayed and CRUSHED the revolution like any real despot worth his name would have.  he should have put aside his Muslim sensibilituies and purged the clergy in the 60s.

He was a disgrace to his father.

Edited by Zagros
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 08:22

Khomeini on the Iran way at Air France Plane
a Reporter asked him: " What do you feel?? you are comming back to Iran after ~~ years & you are leader of revolution"
Khomini Answerd: NOTHING

After Arrive, Army didn't arrest him
By Military Police Scourt (Dejbane Markaz) (most loyal part of Imperial Army) went to Behesht Zahra
I don't understand why shah didn't kill him??
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 08:34

Khomeini on the Iran way at Air France Plane
a Reporter asked him: " What do you feel?? you are comming back to Iran after ~~ years & you are leader of revolution"
Khomini Answerd: NOTHING

"HICH!"

At this point my mother says she knew Iran was doomed.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 08:48
Where is the shah and his fellows now?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:06
The Shah died less than a year after the revolution from cancer, his tomb in in Cairo. His little coward son is in teh DC area of the US, he should be in the mountains like a real man fighting the IRI!! I know I would be if I was the son of a deposed Shah of IRAN, rather than living a comfortable and easy cowards life while my people are beiung oppressed.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:23

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/historic_periods.php

go to the bottom of the page check pictures of revolution.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:29

KDP of Iran being executed by Pasdaran, my dad stopped his men being sent to fight the Kurds, he was court martialed and only survived because of his connections.  The brigade that was sent instead, the officers refused to fight the Kurds, they were all exectuted when the Pasdaran above took over.

Edited by Zagros
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 11:11
Not that picture Zagros, it makes me sad to see peshmergas get executed...
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 11:33

Sorry I made a mistake, it is not KDP, but PDKI.  The saddest thing was they were not even separatists.

And the song of revolutionary hope:

http://www.iranian.com/ram/Revolution/IranIran.ram

It should be called allah allah ... not Iran Iran

Edited by Zagros
 Post Reply Post Reply