Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worst/Horrible Massacres...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst/Horrible Massacres...
    Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 06:25
Which by far is the worst and horrible massacres that ever took place....

I believe none can surpass the Japanese aggression in Nanking. Such a short time and with such ruthless results. I guess in six weeks you had 3,00,000 lakh deaths many of them women and children....
The method of killing was equally gruesome: Rape, bayonet, Hanging, burning....

I might have voted for Holocaust but it happened over a longer period...

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 06:50

The slaughter in Rwanda was pretty damn hardcore... it went unnoticed for quite some time because nobody cares if a bunch of Aficans are getting killed, raped and dismembered with machetes.

"Totaling up the dead in Africa's wars has always been particularly challenging, from the mass killing in Rwanda (in which somewhere around 800,000 people died) to the continuing war in Congo (where the toll is now estimated to be in the neighborhood of 3.8 million)"

http://www.cij.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewNews&newsID= 14

Good atricle. Read it if you have the time (and intrest).

Cheers.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 08:54

Originally posted by hexed

Which by far is the worst and horrible massacres that ever took place....

I believe none can surpass the Japanese aggression in Nanking. Such a short time and with such ruthless results. I guess in six weeks you had 3,00,000 lakh deaths many of them women and children....
The method of killing was equally gruesome: Rape, bayonet, Hanging, burning....

I might have voted for Holocaust but it happened over a longer period...

That's what came to my mind too. Unfortunately this massacre is still not as known to many people as it should be.

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 10:44
I would say the Armenian massacre/genocide...Over 1million died, men, woman, and children.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 11:19

Rather difficult to decide, isn't it? The Holocaust for the methodical way in which it was conducted, the Rwandan genocide for the sheer brutality (800,000 people killed in a few weeks with machetes!) are modern examples. The killing fields in Cambodia for the way the victims were picked...

But what about older ones: say the methods of Tamerlane or Genghis Khan, where they would slaughter all the inhabitants of a city and build pyramids with their severed heads?

Or the indirect massacres through starvation, exposure or disease? Are they to be considered? In that case, what about the millions of Ukrainians dying under Stalin, the millions of Chinese dying under Mao, or the millions of Native Americans dying of disease, starvation, and direct murder by the Spanish and Americans?

Let's face it: the whole discussion is pointless. They are all bad, and comparisons between them are grotesque. The only way that we should discuss about them is as a reminder of what humanity is capable of at its worst.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Pezhetairoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Pezhetairoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 11:33

Nanking...just for sheer brutality

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:15
Nanking to me indeed.
Vae victis!
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:12

let's put things into perspective...

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat0.htm

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 20:43
     You also have to take into account how the people died.  Even though massacre is massacre, I'd rather be shot in the head than be tortored, cooked, marched to death, starved or raped. I think the methods used and the pain felt until death can make something as bad as massacre even worse. But thats just me.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 00:14
I think AE has enough of those "what is the best &&&" threads, including those "what was the worst holocaust," occasionally with some spelling mistakes.   Say that the massacre of ants in my dormitory was unjustifiable.  Okay- so what?  Is this opening to some kind of debate, argument, historical fact....no!
Grrr..
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 10:31

I think any Massacre is horrible and abusive,it takes the most expensive thing on earth(people lives).

I beleive there is no worse than, all of it are horrible.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:58

I absolutly agree with Ahmed.

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 20:03

Mongol sack of bagdhad masscre 1 million arabs second to nanjing

Theophos View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Theophos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 07:35
Any massacre is horrible. No need to rank them.
"I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me."
--John 14:6
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 08:00
Originally posted by BigL

Mongol sack of bagdhad masscre 1 million arabs second to nanjing

It is estimated statistic not confirmed.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 03:28
Massacre after sack of Jerusalem was also particularily brutal....

Yess Rwanda seems to be overlooked....
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 03:32
Originally posted by demon

I think AE has enough of those "what is the best &&&" threads, including those "what was the worst holocaust," occasionally with some spelling mistakes.   Say that the massacre of ants in my dormitory was unjustifiable.  Okay- so what?  Is this opening to some kind of debate, argument, historical fact....no!

Dear friend noone here is trying to justify the massacres...
the main aim of History is to learn from its past miatakes...
Even if a majority of people here learn about it it will do good for mankind....
For example in Japan people still do not believe in Nanking massacres...which is atrocious....least people can do is acknowledge mistakes...
Same is the case with Armenian massacres.... Bangladeshi massacres etc...
Nart_Saga View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Nart_Saga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 15:47
Nanking but some other ugly ones close by...     
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 22:04

The largest genocide I know is:

Before Mongolia invaded China, the population of China was 60Million, 164 yrs later when Mongolia was banished from China, China only has 15million ppl. As a revenge, the Chinese army killed as much as Mongolia as they could. Thus, inside the Great Wall there is no Mongolia.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 04:32

Originally posted by hexed

Originally posted by demon

Dear friend noone here is trying to justify the massacres...
the main aim of History is to learn from its past miatakes...
Even if a majority of people here learn about it it will do good for mankind....
For example in Japan people still do not believe in Nanking massacres...which is atrocious....least people can do is acknowledge mistakes...

Im sorry but I joined this forum for the sheer sake of correcting this horrendously ignorant statement.

The majority of Japanese people do acknowledge that our nation did do horrible things throughout Asia, and although there are some old relics of politicians from the Imperialist Age who dont recognize Nanking, we learn about it in school, it is on our tests, and it is frequently refered to on the news.

I learnt of Nanking at Cram school when I was 9. The date later came up as a question in my Middle School entry exam, and as a midterm to a test in the 3rd year.

The so called text books that doesnt recongize Nanking is used only in 9 or so private schools. And we learn of it through our parents and etc. anyways.

Japan has apologized for it's crimes, we have sent much money to the Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Indonesians, and countless others nations which we destroyed because we know that we did something horrible to them. I understand that we can never make up for the horrendous crimes we did with words and money, but you cannot deny that the majority of us do not feel shame.

And yet every foreign country I go to keeps on the image of Japan being the horrible imperialist/nationalist country that never apologized for it's sins and is planning to strike back. We have spent the last 6 decades rebuilding our nation peacefully, forsaking aggressive war forever and limiting the size of whatever defensive forces we may have, and doing in short, nothing nationalist or imperialistic that any other nation hasnt done.

If you think that being the decendants to the people who were actually raped and killed is bad, what of us? We have never done anything in our lives, yet we have to be not only shamed because of the actions of our forefathers, but everyone else keeps using those things against us as an argument to whatever we do. It is clear that in 1945 the victims was China and the aggressor was Japan, but what of now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>