Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

February 10th: Surrender of Baghdad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February 10th: Surrender of Baghdad
    Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 04:04
Today in 1258 the last sovereign Abassid Caliph, Al Mustasim, surrendered to Hulagu Khan.

Mongke had ordered every tenth man in the whole Mongol Empire to be drafted for this campaign against the Caliphate, Hulagu Khan, ruler of Persia (Il Khanate) gave an ultimatum. The last Caliph Al Mustasim did not even ponder it and threatened Hulagu with the "wrath of God".

Hulagu Khan resting during a hunt

The first struggle happened near the Tigris. Hulagu discovered that braking some dikes would cause the Muslim army to be flooded... so the Mongols proceeded to sap them, breaking havoc among the Caliph's troops.

In January 29th, the city had been put under siege, by February 5th the Mongols already controlled a stretch fo the wall. Al Mustasim tried to negotiate but Hulagu refused. Today 752 years ago, the city surrendered.

Image of the siege

In February 13th, the Mongols entered the city sacking and destroying it to the ground. Among the destruction accounted was:
  • Between 100,000 and one million people were slaughtered and raped
  • Everything in the magnificent city was burnt to the ground, including the Great Library of Baghdad - center of the knowledge of that time
  • The Caliph was killed along with all his family (except one son that kept the Caliphate nominally in Cairo)
The impact of this outmost destruction of the capital of Islam was tremendous. Iraq was made a shadow of its former splendour, with the canals that feed agriculture destroyed and the country depopulated.

According to Steven Dutch: he Mongol destruction of Baghdad was a psychological blow from which Islam never recovered. Already Islam was turning inward, becoming more suspicious of conflicts between faith and reason and more conservative. With the sack of Baghdad, the intellectual flowering of Islam was snuffed out.

Other events that happened today:
  • 1763 - Treaty of Paris divides French posessions in North America between the English (Canada) and Spanish (Louisiana). This last was a compensation for the cession of Florida. Spain never managed to effectively control Louisiana.
  • 1931 - New Delhi becomes the capital of British India
  • 1947 - Italy cedes most of Venezia Giulia (Istria) to Yugoslavia
  • 1996 - For the first time in history, a comuter beats a World Champion at a chess game: Deep Blue beat Gary Kasparov. See the Wikipedia article for more details. The same day an IRA bomb destroyed partially the WTC of London.

Kasparov against the machine

Full list: Wikipedia

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:37
Also occurring today in Women's history:

1477: Mary of Burgundy signed "the Great Privilege" limiting the rulers of the Netherlands and restoring some powers to the cities and states.

1675/6: Mary Rowlandson and her three children captured by Indians in Lancaster, Massachusetts - she later writes of her captivity in the first "captivity narrative".

1840: Queen Victoria marries Prince Albert

1927: Leontyne Price (opera singer) born. Born in Mississippi, Leontyne Price was one of the first African-American sopranos to earn international acclaim. Her powerfully beautifully voice has made her one of the world's most renowned opera sopranos, and she is particularly known for singing Verdi's female roles. In 1955, Price was chosen to sing the title role in a television production of Tosca, becoming the first black singer on a television opera production.

Leontyne Price
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:50

The impact of this outmost destruction of the capital of Islam was tremendous. Iraq was made a shadow of its former splendour, with the canals that feed agriculture destroyed and the country depopulated.

They did the same in Khorasan, desertified it.  And Afghanistan's poorly state over the last 800 or so years is largely down to the Mongols too. 

I wish Baghdad was not destroyed.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 15:06
Originally posted by Zagros

They did the same in Khorasan, desertified it.  And Afghanistan's poorly state over the last 800 or so years is largely down to the Mongols too.

They seem to have been terrible for the Muslim world. For Europe instead, after the early incursions, they happened to be benefical, as they kept the Silk road open - unless you count the Black Death, of course.

I wish Baghdad was not destroyed.

Destiny?

Who knows? If Al Mustasim wouldn't have been so greedy and have prepared well his defense... maybe things would have been different. Though Mongols at that time showed to be rather "invincible" anyhow.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 15:53

Yes, the Muslim leaders were arrogant and decadent towards the end, I am sad for all of the grand architecture and ancient wisdom and knowledge that was lost.

Arguably, that is the turning point at which Islamic civilisations ceased to be world leaders and slowly turned regressive as opposed to their previous progressive nature. Pre Mongol Persian poetry was very liberal, Iran at that time was more of a liberal society than it is today, it is simply possible to tell because of the literal content in the poems of greats such as Hafez, Sa'adi et al, mentioning wine, getting drunk, women and even sexuality.

Edited by Zagros
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 12:26

This is the exact translation of the ultimatom of Hulagu Khan as I found:

"When I lead my army against Baghdad in anger, whether you hide in heaven or in earth ,

I will bring you down from the spinning spheres;

I will toss you in the air like a lion.

I will leave no one alive in your realm;

I will burn your city, your land, your self.

If you wish to spare yourself and your venerable family, give heed to my advice with the ear of intelligence. If you do not, you will see what God has willed."

Hulagu Khan

Edited by Bashibozuk
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 13:08
I still think he shouldnt have burned baghdad.
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 05:43

1947 The treaty of peace was signed by the Republic of Hungary in Paris. The Vienna Awards were deleted and Hungary lost again most of her territories. The number of the Hungarian Army was limited and Hungary was pressed to pay the compensation.

Post Reply Post Reply