Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran daily holds contest for Holocaust cartoons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran daily holds contest for Holocaust cartoons
    Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 23:39

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060207/wl_nm/religion_cartoons_ iran_holocaust_dc_6

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/07/news/iran.php

Excerpt:

"Iran's best-selling newspaper has launched a competition to find the best cartoon about the Holocaust in retaliation for the publication in many European countries of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad.

The Brussels-based Conference of European Rabbis (CER) denounced the idea and urged the Muslim world to do likewise.

The Anti-Defamation League, which fights anti-Semitism, described the competition as "deliberately inflammatory."

The Iranian daily Hamshahri said the contest was designed to test the boundaries of free speech -- the reason given by many European newspapers for publishing the cartoons of the Prophet...."

Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 00:45
we won't lose any friends over this, because we don't have any to lose.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 00:51
Originally posted by lennel

, described the competition as "deliberately inflammatory."

so was the danish newspaper cartoons

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 00:54
The same Danish paper has said it's going to publish these cartoons on the same day the Iranian paper does.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:06

Originally posted by Mila

The same Danish paper has said it's going to publish these cartoons on the same day the Iranian paper does.

They've changed their minds.

Danes' 'no' to Holocaust cartoons

The top editor of the Danish newspaper whose cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad sparked outrage throughout the Islamic world said he would not print Holocaust cartoons offered by an Iranian newspaper.

Editor-in-Chief Carsten Juste said his newspaper Jyllands-Posten "in no circumstances will publish Holocaust cartoons from an Iranian newspaper."

Edited by azimuth
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:07
That's retarded. There was one on Google News just the day before yesterday saying he was thrilled about doing it.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:08
Cartoon editor placed 'on leave'

Copenhagen (dpa) - The Danish newspaper at the centre of the Mohammed caricature row sent its cultural editor Flemming Rose on an extended enforced leave of absence Thursday.

The Jyllands Posten was reacting to Rose's plan from Tuesday to publish caricatures of Jesus as well as caricatures of the Holocaust planned by Iran.

The editorial board had denied that it planned to publish the caricatures in the newspaper.

The board said the decision to send Rose on enforced leave was due to the amount of pressure the chief editor of the newspaper's cultural section had been under in recent weeks.

Rose initiated the caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed at the end of September.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id =78584
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:09

That worked....

Originally posted by TeldeIndus

They've changed their minds.

Danes' 'no' to Holocaust cartoons

The top editor of the Danish newspaper whose cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad sparked outrage throughout the Islamic world said he would not print Holocaust cartoons offered by an Iranian newspaper.

Editor-in-Chief Carsten Juste said his newspaper Jyllands-Posten "in no circumstances will publish Holocaust cartoons from an Iranian newspaper."

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=203972006 

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:12
If you copy and paste it into Notepad, and then share it here, you won't have all the junk in the post, TeleIndus.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:17

Mila i heared in the news yesterday that the danish newspaper refused to publish the iranian holocaust cartoons because they are/ will be  offensive.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:21
It makes me so angry I can't even speak, Azimuth. I am very, very, very...to my bones...sick, angry, every negative emotion you can think you when anyone, in any way, attempts to diminish the holocaust.

And now these effing nutjobs at Jyllands-Posten have cornered me. I can't support their decision not to publish the cartoons, even though I agree with it - because it's a double standard and it's not fair. But it's not a fight I want to "win". I don't even want to see such holocaust cartoons published any more than I wanted to see the Muhammed ones published.

So it just makes me angry that someone put me in this position.
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:54

I think its pointless for a paper to print something if its only goal is to offend.  Likewise I think knee-jerk reactions are equally if not more pointless.  Such as this story, likewise the euro papers re-printing just to make a point.

Ideally if a paper over steps its bounds in decency, consumers will write-in complaints and the paper will print a retraction if it sees its folly.

I feel that the Iranian paper is making a mistake with the cartoons.  First off its upset with a danish paper.  Who does it aim its anger toward?  holocaust victims.....Secondly it seems even more idiotic to sponsor a cartoon contest with the sole goal being offensiveness.  Third, I suspect it won't be a crude drawing of a historical figure, but graphic and vulgar, aimed at not-so old wounds.

I feel the comparison is a bit asymetrical, as the holocaust was a recent event that hurt real humans, many of which still alive today.  Printing something slanderous about Muhammed is a bit different, considering theres 1400 yrs of history. 

I'm not Muslim so it'd be hard for me to be in their shoes but the nearest comparison I can draw would be if a paper did a piece poking fun at or mocking Jesus.  I would perhaps be offended and write-in, but I would not call for re-tribution, especially at a target which had nothing to do with the cartoon in the first place.  I really think its a mis-placed projection.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for freedom of speech and press.  They can print it all they want, but i don't support it and if i lived there i wouldnt buy it.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 02:13

And now these effing nutjobs at Jyllands-Posten have cornered me. I can't support their decision not to publish the cartoons, even though I agree with it - because it's a double standard and it's not fair. But it's not a fight I want to "win". I don't even want to see such holocaust cartoons published any more than I wanted to see the Muhammed ones published.

I had similar feelings when I first read the story. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for freedom of speech and press.  They can print it all they want, but i don't support it and if i lived there i wouldnt buy it.

I think you summed up my point of view in these 2 short sentences. I don't support it, but my curiosity will get the best of me as I will want to see just how low some people will go.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 02:20
It's one thing for an independent newspaper to print cartoons, but it's not an action that a government should be doing. Iran has the right to print them, and alot of muslims protesters are going to look foolish when no one is burning down embassys and issuing death threats over Iran's cartoons.

If Iran is to print these cartoons, then they are in effect condoning the west's right to print whatever they want. So, this makes the re-printing and even the creation of more mohammed cartoons all the more okay. How can Iran's government not see this? IF their goal is to rpevent mohammed cartoons from being made, then this is a horrible way of going about it.

Edited by Illuminati
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 02:22
How many wrongs does it take to make a right. We already know 2 doesn't work. I guess they'll keep trying until they find out.

Edited by DukeC
lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 02:40

Originally posted by Illuminati

If Iran is to print these cartoons, then they are in effect condoning the west's right to print whatever they want. So, this makes the re-printing and even the creation of more mohammed cartoons all the more okay. How can Iran's government not see this? IF their goal is to rpevent mohammed cartoons from being made, then this is a horrible way of going about it.

thats a good point.  They will lose any moral high ground, allowing westerner's to print as they please.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 03:37

Originally posted by azimuth

Eh, no, as repeated a gazillion times. I find it quite amazing a moderator is this stubborn.

Mila i heared in the news yesterday that the danish newspaper refused to publish the iranian holocaust cartoons because they are/ will be offensive.

Maybe they learnt a lesson. Even newspapers do that from time to time.

It makes me so angry I can't even speak, Azimuth. I am very, very,
very...to my bones...sick, angry, every negative emotion you can think
you when anyone, in any way, attempts to diminish the holocaust.

And now these effing nutjobs at Jyllands-Posten have cornered me. I can't support their decision not to publish the cartoons, even though I
agree with it - because it's a double standard and it's not fair. But
it's not a fight I want to "win". I don't even want to see such
holocaust cartoons published any more than I wanted to see the Muhammed
ones published.

As said before, two wrongs don't make one right. Do you honestly think they should try to please the Muslims by offending another religion? Though I can understand how you feel, the attitude that they should, and at the same time demand that they should not publish material offensive to Muslims is incredibly, incredibly hypocritical.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 07:22

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Eh, no, as repeated a gazillion times. I find it quite amazing a moderator is this stubborn.

well all you said "gazillion times" is that they didnt intend to offend people, i replied to your "gazillion times"  saying is that it doesnt make sense and i asked a few questions which you werent intersted enough to answer !!

the questions where, what do you think "testing limits" meant?

why after knowing that these material offended many people they still insist on saying its freedom of speach while for other pictures they say we cannot publish because they are offensive.

how can something be not offensive to them even though millions of people are protesting and saying it was offensive??

so tell me what did they mean by testing limits?

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Mila i heared in the news yesterday that the danish newspaper refused to publish the iranian holocaust cartoons because they are/ will be  offensive.

Maybe they learnt a lesson. Even newspapers do that from time to time.

no they didnt learn anything, they still belive that they did not make anything wrong nor anything which requires any apology to.

to them (newspaper) the Prophet cartoons werent offensive , and to them (newspaper) the holocaust cartoon ARE offensive.

well let them know this for a fact,

to us (many muslims) Holocaust cartoons IS NOT offensive and to us Prophet cartoons WERE offensive.

clear enough?

Edited by azimuth
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 07:27
Why do you get offended at satirzing prophet and not offended about mocking massacres?

It's very subjective and selective and obviously your are not going to persuade anyone who is not already a fanatic Muslim of that.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 07:31

thats what is hapening belive it or not, aknowledge it or not, thats what is hapening.

and iam not here to persuade you or anyone esle iam just stating what many do feel obviously they are protesting and saying how they feel.

as you are stating "facts" iam stating "facts"

have fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>