Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran daily holds contest for Holocaust cartoons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran daily holds contest for Holocaust cartoons
    Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 12:26
Originally posted by prsn41ife

well then i have seen those holocaust cartoons printed in any european newspaper...

where is the democracy???

Where did you see that? And I don't understand your question.

persecution against people who have their own views on the holocaust.

A few countries have laws against just that, Denmark not being one of them. Very few countries in Europe have that law.

so suddenly now because those cartoons are offensive to you they shouldnt be published?

No I didn't; I said they have no reason to publish them. They are of course allowed to be published.

[quot]so cartoons depicting mohammad as a terrorist, a pedophile, etc....

[/quote]

No picture showed Mohammed as a pedophile in JP. One of the pictures produced by one of those imams show him a pedophile though (and I've yet to see any reaction against them...).  Reread this post:

Originally posted by edgewaters

The Holocaust is a different thing than Mohammed. If the Danish paper had publishing cartoons gleefully mocking the suffering of Iraqis under the occupation, perhaps Holocaust cartoons might be sort of equivalent. In this case, it doesn't really make sense.

The cartoons, if you have seen them, were not really all that terrible - they were typical satire. There was no controversy for quite some time, among Danish Muslims or anywhere else, after they were published. A group of Danish imams decided there wasn't enough controversy and decided to go travel in the Middle East, and "spice up" the issue by adding a series of fake cartoons that had never been published, including what was supposed to be a caricature of Mohammed as a pig-man but was actually a deliberately blurred photograph retrieved from Google Images, of a French contestant in a pig squeeling contest. The outrage is entirely manufactured.

Faked Cartoon

Original Picture

are supposed to show how violent muslims in europe are?

"hey guys, i have an idea, you know those crazy terrorist muslims running around, yea, lets show them how crazy they are by drawing pictures of their prophet as a terrorist, and a scum bag. that should teach them not be violent anymore.........."

"or it will just make them more angry you du*ba$$! " 

thats what someone should have told those cartoonists.

You still miss the point. They weren't intended to make anyone less violent. For the reason, reread the post you quoted.

ok well, you say that the muslim cartoons were necessary for democracy in europe, well i think that these holocaust cartoons are necessary for democracy in europe.

Why? 

now the USA is a different story, the US has full freedom of speech! anyone can say anything without any fear! and even the US press knew not to publish the cartoons. europe has learned a valuable lesson, dont criticise others when you still have a long way to go.

So in your opinon, when American papers choose not to publish a few cartoons they do because of good judgement, but when European papers do the same, they are suddenly "limiting free speech".

There are lot of talk about respecting believes, that you shouldn't publish offensive stuff [about islam], not even to demonstrate important issues. But when the offensive pics are about Judaism it's completely ok, no, even excellent. The word 'hypocrite' has been used a lot in this thread, so I won't bother repeating it.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 11:46
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

all of a sudden you guys arent talking about freedom of speech anymore are you?

Of bloody course we are.

well then i have seen those holocaust cartoons printed in any european newspaper...

where is the democracy???

the same continent that persecutes people for their beliefs (europe) is talking about persecution.

Please elaborate, exactly how does Europe execute religious persecutions?

persecution against people who have their own views on the holocaust.

this was a great strategic move, especially after the paper in denmark refused to show the cartoons saying they were too offensive! what morons.

What is offensive for you is not offensive for me - a moron is what takes not to understand that. To me, the Muhamed cartoons didn't seem very offensive, slightly lame at most. Europe is extremely sensitive towards anti-Semitism though, for obvious reasons.

so suddenly now because those cartoons are offensive to you they shouldnt be published?

wow the hypocrisy is coming out....

you guys dont understand do you?

the jew issue is very sensitive in europe, just like the mohammad issue is sensitive in the islamic world.

lets see how "democratic" europe is... i bet they wont publish these cartoons in the name of democracy.

europe disgusts me. im so happy i live in the USA.

if you cant take it, then dont dish it out, europe needs to take that advice.

You're the one who doesn't understand. Europe doesn't have any extremist Jews who start threatening and even murdering people who criticize Judaism. Europe does have fanatic Muslims who start threatening and even murdering people who criticize Islam. That EVERYTHING is allowed to be criticized is a fundamental cornerstone in democracy. The publications were a domestic issue to try/show how much the threats and murders from and by religious fanatics had frightened people to exercize their rights.

so cartoons depicting mohammad as a terrorist, a pedophile, etc.... are supposed to show how violent muslims in europe are?

"hey guys, i have an idea, you know those crazy terrorist muslims running around, yea, lets show them how crazy they are by drawing pictures of their prophet as a terrorist, and a scum bag. that should teach them not be violent anymore.........."

"or it will just make them more angry you du*ba$$! " 

thats what someone should have told those cartoonists.

That Iranian newspapers reply I just find silly, it only goes to show that either they 1) have no idea whatsoever what is was all about, 2) they did know but decided to seize the opportunity to once again make a hit on a certain group that had absolutely nothing to do with the issue in the first place.

ok well, you say that the muslim cartoons were necessary for democracy in europe, well i think that these holocaust cartoons are necessary for democracy in europe.

the iranian newspaper said at the begining that because holocaust denial is against the law in many european countries, that this competition was to test europes limits of freedom of speech. and it worked! the iranian newspaper prooved that while europe is talking about freedom of speech and persecution, they themselves persecute and limit freedom of speech.

this one iranian newspaper basically prooved to the world the hypocrisy of europe.

now the USA is a different story, the US has full freedom of speech! anyone can say anything without any fear! and even the US press knew not to publish the cartoons. europe has learned a valuable lesson, dont criticise others when you still have a long way to go.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 11:15

Of bloody course we are.

the same continent that persecutes people for their beliefs (europe) is talking about persecution.

Please elaborate, exactly how does Europe execute religious persecutions?

this was a great strategic move, especially after the paper in denmark refused to show the cartoons saying they were too offensive! what morons.

What is offensive for you is not offensive for me - a moron is what takes not to understand that. To me, the Muhamed cartoons didn't seem very offensive, slightly lame at most. Europe is extremely sensitive towards anti-Semitism though, for obvious reasons.

the jew issue is very sensitive in europe, just like the mohammad issue is sensitive in the islamic world.

lets see how "democratic" europe is... i bet they wont publish these cartoons in the name of democracy.

You're the one who doesn't understand. Europe doesn't have any extremist Jews who start threatening and even murdering people who criticize Judaism. Europe does have fanatic Muslims who start threatening and even murdering people who criticize Islam. That EVERYTHING is allowed to be criticized is a fundamental cornerstone in democracy. The publications were a domestic issue to try/show how much the threats and murders from and by religious fanatics had frightened people to exercize their rights.

In the beginning of this row I thought the publications were unnecessary, but after seing the reaction in the real world and from some people here I'm beginning to think it was not only a good thing to publish them, but also necessary in the sense that it started a discussion and shed light on the problem. That Iranian newspapers reply I just find silly, it only goes to show that either they 1) have no idea whatsoever what is was all about, 2) they did know but decided to seize the opportunity to once again make a hit on a certain group that had absolutely nothing to do with the issue in the first place.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 00:19
I think if was Hamshahri, search for its website on google... I feel so lazy today sorry!
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 17:32
Anyone know which Iranian paper they were published in, and/or if theyre viewable on the net?
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 12:12
when this guy talks about freedom of speech he reminds me of Stephen Colbert for some reason lol, it just sounds so silly and wrong lol
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:29

exactly freedom of speech, maybe europe can learn a lesson or two out of this situation as well as the islamic world.

and so why are you in here arguing about this if you believe they have the right to publish it?

Originally posted by Loknar

Of course the Jewish issue if very sensitive in LACE u1t="on">LACE wt="on">EuropeLACE>LACE>. And if they want to publish it then it is their right and I would have no objection (though I would fine the cartoon distasteful). I dont see what Jews have to do with it though. The cartoon was not even a cartoon and was pretty distasteful.  As if Jews would be so much better under Iranian rule. As if Cyrus was still around. I have a message for you...get over Cyrus. The man has been dead for thousands of years and under his rule Jews went persecuted. are you saying Jews would be better off under Cyrus than say Hitler? Well NO sh*t. But guess what? Hes dead. This is 2006. Get over Cyrus. I should hold a contest based on Pauls ideaCyrus was a homosexual cartoon. So I dont get the point of the edited photograph of people who likely died in those damn damps.>>

>>

But wait! I thought the holocaust didnt happen? Well t="on">LACE wt="on">IranLACE> says it didnt anyway

I dont see what Jews and Cyrus have to do with anything in Denmark.

hitler is dead too, but thats not stopping the nazi's is it?

cyrus is dead, but thats not stopping the iranians who believe in his freedom either.

this was a great political move by the iranian islamist press in my opinion. they totally debased western values, and probably proved to the islamic world that the west is anti-islam.

im not muslim, but this whole situation is so funny to me, europe just got b**ch slapped.

Edited by prsn41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:27

there are muslims in denmark too, good way to tread their fellow country men right?

You are exactly right. I never said that is was right to do. I only say it is freedom of press and they can piss off and insult who ever they want.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:24

there are muslims in denmark too, good way to tread their fellow country men right?

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:23

hmm... its really funny,

what happened to freedom of speech guys, or is it only freedom of speech when its not against the western point of view?

wow, anyway, i thought i might add that iran has the largest jewish community in any muslim nation.

Actually, I say if the publish it then it's their right. But I still find it distasteful, just as I found the Mohammed cartoons distasteful.

And yes I am aware that there are Jews in Iran...good way to treat your fellow countrymen.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:21

hmm... its really funny,

what happened to freedom of speech guys, or is it only freedom of speech when its not against the western point of view?

wow, anyway, i thought i might add that iran has the largest jewish community in any muslim nation.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:09

The Holocaust is a different thing than Mohammed. If the Danish paper had publishing cartoons gleefully mocking the suffering of Iraqis under the occupation, perhaps Holocaust cartoons might be sort of equivalent. In this case, it doesn't really make sense.

The cartoons, if you have seen them, were not really all that terrible - they were typical satire. There was no controversy for quite some time, among Danish Muslims or anywhere else, after they were published. A group of Danish imams decided there wasn't enough controversy and decided to go travel in the Middle East, and "spice up" the issue by adding a series of fake cartoons that had never been published, including what was supposed to be a caricature of Mohammed as a pig-man but was actually a deliberately blurred photograph retrieved from Google Images, of a French contestant in a pig squeeling contest. The outrage is entirely manufactured.

Faked Cartoon

Original Picture
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:05

Of course the Jewish issue if very sensitive in Europe. And if they want to publish it then it is their right and I would have no objection (though I would fine the cartoon distasteful). I dont see what Jews have to do with it though. The cartoon was not even a cartoon and was pretty distasteful.  As if Jews would be so much better under Iranian rule. As if Cyrus was still around. I have a message for you...get over Cyrus. The man has been dead for thousands of years and under his rule Jews went persecuted. are you saying Jews would be better off under Cyrus than say Hitler? Well NO sh*t. But guess what? Hes dead. This is 2006. Get over Cyrus. I should hold a contest based on Pauls ideaCyrus was a homosexual cartoon. So I dont get the point of the edited photograph of people who likely died in those damn damps.

But wait! I thought the holocaust didnt happen? Well Iran says it didnt anyway

I dont see what Jews and Cyrus have to do with anything in Denmark.

Edited by Loknar
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:01
I like matza balls.. Matza balls are delicious. Therefore...thumbs up to God's chosen people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 10:30

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 02:35
Originally posted by Paul

The people of Denmark are not Jewish.

OK: Next time Mongolia has a diplomatic dispute with Peru. Obviously Peru should respond by publishing some Cyrus the Great was a homosexual cartoons...... That'll really teach those Mongolians, right!

Paul, I know you and I often disagree...but damn, this is one of your best posts! Very good point.

Edited by Loknar
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 02:03
Paul, nobody here supported publishing cartoons by the Iranian newspaper. I don't see how your example is relevant to the topic.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 01:46

The people of Denmark are not Jewish.

OK: Next time Mongolia has a diplomatic dispute with Peru. Obviously Peru should respond by publishing some Cyrus the Great was a homosexual cartoons...... That'll really teach those Mongolians, right!

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 01:10
I think it's against their laws
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 11:52
why danish newspaper didnt press Holocaust cartoon?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>