Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Han VS Rome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Han VS Rome
    Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 19:03
A silly thread and question! One might well ask "can your sperm outswim my sperm?"

This thread died, but existed far longer than anyone's sperm!
Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2009 at 16:39
Rome in the end would win this one Rome is is known well for adapting to it's enemies for example the Punic wars- the first Punic war adapting to Naval warfare and Hannibal using his own tactics against him at Zama. Rome's army isn't as large as China's because I know for a fact that during Qin's reign he could produce an army of 600,000 plus The Romans largest in one battle is 85,000 at Cannae. But i've realised that the Chinese army has depended heavily on numbers and their armies made up of conscription soldiers only up to one year so you could wonder why they had alot of crossbow men. Rome re inforced their armies in times of war with legions they trained their soldiers fairly long before they saw the battlefield also allies who had to contribute to helping Rome numbered in the hundreds of thousands. Though Romes numbers aren't as great Rome has come against big numbers like In Gaul Julius Caesar fought an army over 200,000 plus Gallic men with only 30 to 35,000 men and again against Boudicca with only 10 to 15,000 men deafeated an army of a 100,000 men.

Rome has a better army over all better battle tactics, formations, training, understanding of a new enemy. The costs to wage a war is expensive to both sides that is why Rome has legions but China in the other hand has one big war machine Hundreds of thousands of men in one army. So lets say they invade and are unsuccessful to raise another army could take a while especially if the loss of troops are very bad Rome has the advantage with legions by having seperate armies allows them to join forces with other legions if they are unsuccesful they can be supported by another legion who will aid the other also another army in the tens of thousands can be formed elewhere and make their way there. In times of war legions were larger than the original 5,000 menas  attatchments of it's allies would extend the numbers in one army when joining other legions China will recruit another army For example battle of cannae Rome only had 8 legions but had another 45,000 as it's allies which accounted for more than half the army. Rome at the end of the day have a muh stronger army Rome relies heavily on it's discipline and proffesionalism of the army China relies too much on numbers.
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 07:17
I think the Romans would have crushed the Chinese. Better soldiers, better organization, better armor.
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 07:11
Looks like me not find worthy opponent, yet.
JRson View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote JRson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2009 at 06:33
Bad topic. There was a long distance between the two empires.
At that time, the military of Han dynasty can not compare with Roman.
But Genghis Khan can.
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 16:05
Rome and without a doubt.
Several wars would be needed either way and it would take decades either way but the Romans would come out on top.
I am not biased i dont give three figs who would win infact i will stoke the fires and say India of the time would knock both there heads together!
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 09:43
Thanks, but I said I ll only leave that guy's personal debate.

Me iz off to seek better, smarter opponents who could uze some sk1//z in a good debate!
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 16:38
You'll be missed LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 10:05
someone just keeps going on about segmenatas. It's pissin me off. I'm a leaving.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 05:54
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

... I guess that's it 

and, Kinder Care Center still an option for you?

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 03:54
I never said anything about comparisons.

Heavy armor is a misnomer full armor would be a better term and you ignored the fact that the seg works like a suspension system and was fired at from every angle using a weapon far more powerful than a crossbow and every time the bolt bounced off

Give me solid evidence of a stronger crossbow and one that can be drawn by one man and still put out a high rate of fire

Don't underestimate the cavalry read about the hussars sometime 

Roman artillery is also very accurate, read what I told you about snipers

What about the auxilia? The Ballistae? The missle troops? 

Advantages? read my posts

Also Han victory seems to hinge on missle weapons... That can't get through roman segs. Uh-oh, the han might want to retrieve their full armor 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 01:34
[/QUOTE]
The crossbow I think is somewhat over rated (not saying it's a bad weapon, just it's the be all end all) Also muskets were extremly slow, something one volley in two minutes and it takes good cavalry about ten seconds to get across the field, fifteen in bad conditions also the han bolts can't get through roman seg's not to mention all the other advantages the legion has 
[/QUOTE]

The crossbow is only underestimated by the roman side in every debate. And the seg is overrated.

Please understand that the periods before the Han devaloped heavier and heavier armour. This was the beginning of the warring states. Then, the crossbow made heavy armour go down the dumps. As I said, the more heavy or rigid the armour, it’s more easy for the Crossbow to penetrate. That’s why the seg is especailly vulnerable to that.

To fight againt the Han, we cannot use any more heavy formations. Spread out, use more ranged weaponary, or we get mown down.. Trust me, their crossbows come in different torson strengths, some are reloaded with similar methods to the scropio, and must be mounted to be fired. I compared the torson strengths of the scorpio and the better Han crossbows, and guess what? The Han ones are stronger. Lets not go into so much detail.

You said that Muskets are extremely slow, true. Yet I never said that their crossbows are as slow as muskets. They are much faster reloading, in actual fact.

And you said that the Roman cavalry could be fast. True. They wouldn’t be so happy when they are intercepted by the Han cavalry, or a booby trap, when they are going too fast. To CHARGE straight at the enemy is a stupid strategy worthy of barbarians. Convey your argument in another way.

Advantages, what advantages.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 01:05

What tests? also the test I saw they used a narrow metal head, Um, I wouldn't underestimate the scorpio for one thing you have a bolt that is way heavier and bigger than a han bolt, also their power is amazing, what about all the other stuff I pointed out?  

I did not recall telling you that a scorpio is a crossbow, neither did I friggin compare the two, apart from the roles they serve.

Now I am going for the Romans. but, I seriously doubt the Roman supremecy in some fields after I did thorough research on the Han.

Ranged artillery, the Han seige engines could aim DIRECTLY for the Roman ones. They are also more efficient and mobile than you think they are. The Romans would definally have a hard time with these.

I did not compare the scorpio with the Han crossbow, why
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 17:09
Originally posted by bowenmin

I forgot to mention somethin.

see the way in the movies how they reload muskets in different rowes, while the front fow shoots?

that's how they do it. one of the crossbow units' pirioties is to prevent the enemy unit from closing in by firing continous shots at them.

The crossbow units, if left unsupported by other melee or seige weaponary, are vulnerable to close combat, which they are freaking weak at.

Therefore, if the Legion manages to get close enough to wreak havoc, the Crossbowmen, who are more likely inexperienced conscripts, are screwed. Ouch

Even with the bayonet on, they'd be waving sticks with knives on them against the Romans. hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa (evil laughter)
This is one good way to beat the Han. I think I would go with the Romans from here on.

The crossbow I think is somewhat over rated (not saying it's a bad weapon, just it's the be all end all) Also muskets were extremly slow, something one volley in two minutes and it takes good cavalry about ten seconds to get across the field, fifteen in bad conditions also the han bolts can't get through roman seg's not to mention all the other advantages the legion has 
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 17:04

AH! a prompt reply as usual.

You speak as though the Han have nothing to counter our legions. they must not be underestimated.

As for the part that you said that the Romans did not just use stone projectiles, were you assuming I was saying that the Romans have no expertise with steel projectiles. You misunderstood me, I just said that firing wooden heads at a segmenata was highly rediculous, (whatevaitzspelled) and used the battlefield scenerio as an example.

I understand MUCH about the Roman infantry. I dare not say I understand more than you, but please respect the Han more.

If you remembered, I have had always, in this debate, told the Roman supporters to have more respect for the Han, and vice versa for the Han. Sleepy

It's pretty damned boring to say the same things over and over again.
It's proven in firing tests that the Han crossbows could pierce segmentas.
We are not the only people who have an interest in this debate. the professionals too, are.

By the way, after doing some real comparisms between the scorpio and the Han crossbow, I kinda lost my hype on the Scorpio. I really thought it freakin weak now.
Could you change my mind for me, please?

If you think that some Roman counterparts are better than the Han, feel free to argue about it , yet you must understand that the phrase
"would win "
is naive.
There are no certainties in battle. However good your army is, there are certian things that may shift aginst your favour. there is no garantee a side would lose or win definally (unless the battle is too damned one sided)

Therefore, next time you argue (which must be today or tomorrow) I suggest you use that statement " THEREFORE, THE ROMANS HAVE AN ADVANTAGE OF............ OVER THE HAN."

This is the proper way to state an argument here.

What tests? also the test I saw they used a narrow metal head, Um, I wouldn't underestimate the scorpio for one thing you have a bolt that is way heavier and bigger than a han bolt, also their power is amazing, what about all the other stuff I pointed out?  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 06:53
I forgot to mention somethin.

see the way in the movies how they reload muskets in different rowes, while the front fow shoots?

that's how they do it. one of the crossbow units' pirioties is to prevent the enemy unit from closing in by firing continous shots at them.

The crossbow units, if left unsupported by other melee or seige weaponary, are vulnerable to close combat, which they are freaking weak at.

Therefore, if the Legion manages to get close enough to wreak havoc, the Crossbowmen, who are more likely inexperienced conscripts, are screwed. Ouch

Even with the bayonet on, they'd be waving sticks with knives on them against the Romans. hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa (evil laughter)
This is one good way to beat the Han. I think I would go with the Romans from here on.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 06:48
And oh yes, I must remind you to remove your previous post in my quote, as it gets messy if you keep accumulating previous posts in the quotes
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 06:46

The cataphractii and/or clibanarii both used composite horsebows that were incredibly powerful and the cataphracts worked very well infantry, and they were used as deep strike troops. On the history channel they made a seg that was the proper guage and thickness and they fired a scorpion bolt at it several times and the bolt bounced off and as you yourself said they could also deflect stone... Uh-oh there went the han crossbow advantage. How exactly would a crossbow be more powerful than a ballista?   

By the way. If the REAL roman scorpion failed to pierce the Segmenata, then the scorpion would be freakin weak.
NO OFFENSE. I watched the video once. I felt insulted, as it's an insult to the technology level of the Roman Scorpio (my favourite Roman Seige instrument!)
The comparism was highly rigged. the bolts aren't even steel tipped. if I remember it right, it was just purely wood. I'd be damed if it left even a mark.
I do admire the Roman army, and yet I refused to adknowlege the docco, as some facts are exegerrated, and some comparisms are highly rigged. (lol, firing wooden bolts in the middle of battle.) Cry

I went for the Han crossbow over the Roman scorpio not because it was something like the biggest on the battlefield capable of firing the strongest bolts from a handheld weapon.
But the fact that it could fire from something like a gunline. torrent after torrent.  

Pointed steel at high velocity in torrents with gunline formations VERSUS Blunt stone fired with seige engines with far slower firing rates.

STEEL VS STONE?! you decide.

EmbarrassedIt's been very nice debating with You, by the way. THANK YOU FOR REPLYING TO MY POSTS!

You must be thinking of a different test and the scorpion was the right power with the right head against a properly made seg.

The romans did not use wooden heads

How exactly would something as powerful a han crossbow manage to fire at that rate of speed the romans also had missle troops. The Arcuballista, the cheiroballista, and the manuballista, scorpio, archers, slingers, javelineers (The pilum is supposed to bend when it hits something) stone firing ballista, Onagers.

Also The romans didn't just use stone ammo. They also had a ballista that works somewhat like a gatling gun

So sixty ballistae along with all the other missle support I mentioned. They also used sniper/sharpshooter units. They had an orgnaized intelligence agency. The han crossbows can get through segs. Their cavalry...

I think the han lose 

AH! a prompt reply as usual.

You speak as though the Han have nothing to counter our legions. they must not be underestimated.

As for the part that you said that the Romans did not just use stone projectiles, were you assuming I was saying that the Romans have no expertise with steel projectiles. You misunderstood me, I just said that firing wooden heads at a segmenata was highly rediculous, (whatevaitzspelled) and used the battlefield scenerio as an example.

I understand MUCH about the Roman infantry. I dare not say I understand more than you, but please respect the Han more.

If you remembered, I have had always, in this debate, told the Roman supporters to have more respect for the Han, and vice versa for the Han. Sleepy

It's pretty damned boring to say the same things over and over again.
It's proven in firing tests that the Han crossbows could pierce segmentas.
We are not the only people who have an interest in this debate. the professionals too, are.

By the way, after doing some real comparisms between the scorpio and the Han crossbow, I kinda lost my hype on the Scorpio. I really thought it freakin weak now.
Could you change my mind for me, please?

If you think that some Roman counterparts are better than the Han, feel free to argue about it , yet you must understand that the phrase
"would win "
is naive.
There are no certainties in battle. However good your army is, there are certian things that may shift aginst your favour. there is no garantee a side would lose or win definally (unless the battle is too damned one sided)

Therefore, next time you argue (which must be today or tomorrow) I suggest you use that statement " THEREFORE, THE ROMANS HAVE AN ADVANTAGE OF............ OVER THE HAN."

This is the proper way to state an argument here.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 21:14
I wonder what the point of this thread since since the great distance between Rome and Cathay never allowed this. It seems like a pointless tug of war here but it never happened. I know the Chinese army was defeated by the Arabs in the 8th c. AD, now that would make a good thread. The Romans seemed to have been much more agressive when it came to war but it did not happen anyway. I suppose there is nothing wrong with fantasy. I think another good question is what if... Alexander the Great conquered India and continued on into China- could he have conquered China or Cathay???? Please make another thread for this one, if you want to go that direction. Alexander vs - whatever dynasty was in power then.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2008 at 20:44

The cataphractii and/or clibanarii both used composite horsebows that were incredibly powerful and the cataphracts worked very well infantry, and they were used as deep strike troops. On the history channel they made a seg that was the proper guage and thickness and they fired a scorpion bolt at it several times and the bolt bounced off and as you yourself said they could also deflect stone... Uh-oh there went the han crossbow advantage. How exactly would a crossbow be more powerful than a ballista?   

By the way. If the REAL roman scorpion failed to pierce the Segmenata, then the scorpion would be freakin weak.

NO OFFENSE. I watched the video once. I felt insulted, as it's an insult to the technology level of the Roman Scorpio (my favourite Roman Seige instrument!)

The comparism was highly rigged. the bolts aren't even steel tipped. if I remember it right, it was just purely wood. I'd be damed if it left even a mark.

I do admire the Roman army, and yet I refused to adknowlege the docco, as some facts are exegerrated, and some comparisms are highly rigged. (lol, firing wooden bolts in the middle of battle.) Cry

I went for the Han crossbow over the Roman scorpio not because it was something like the biggest on the battlefield capable of firing the strongest bolts from a handheld weapon.

But the fact that it could fire from something like a gunline. torrent after torrent.

Pointed steel at high velocity in torrents with gunline formations VERSUS Blunt stone fired with seige engines with far slower firing rates.

STEEL VS STONE?! you decide.

EmbarrassedIt's been very nice debating with You, by the way. THANK YOU FOR REPLYING TO MY POSTS!

You must be thinking of a different test and the scorpion was the right power with the right head against a properly made seg.

The romans did not use wooden heads

How exactly would something as powerful a han crossbow manage to fire at that rate of speed the romans also had missle troops. The Arcuballista, the cheiroballista, and the manuballista, scorpio, archers, slingers, javelineers (The pilum is supposed to bend when it hits something) stone firing ballista, Onagers.

Also The romans didn't just use stone ammo. They also had a ballista that works somewhat like a gatling gun

So sixty ballistae along with all the other missle support I mentioned. They also used sniper/sharpshooter units. They had an orgnaized intelligence agency. The han crossbows can get through segs. Their cavalry...

I think the han lose

:( I thought you left... dissapointing me :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>