Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lincoln vs Davis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bradcorazon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bradcorazon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lincoln vs Davis
    Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 02:17
Who do you all think was a better leader and why?
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 03:03
I think it is very difficult to compare.Of course, the South was crushed  by the North. But we cannot say this L was better then D. It was because the North had a stronger economic and industrial power then the south. But this strong economic and industrial was not built by L himself.We cannot say say D was no good, since one man could not chang the whole inferior situation of the South(weaker economin and industrial power, highly dependent on cotton and lack of a large food production, fewer population,lack of a strong navy, many western states turned to the North0). But  I think that L was more active in  military commanding,while D did not make many ideas in military action.From My impression, it seem that Lee and Jackson were the leaders of the South. it was because at that time, The  continuous surviving of the south dependent  on  the high commanders in the army. Just like George washington was the leader of the republic during the revolution it was because at that time, The continuous surviving of the Us dependent on army. How many will consider those presidents in the revolutionary congress were the leaders.
leung
bradcorazon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bradcorazon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 03:20

Interesting point.  I think one of the main differences between L and D was the fact that D was more of a micro-manager.  He wanted to know EVERYTHING about what was going on with his armies, and was constantly giveing advice to the front lines.  Davis is lucky he had Lee because with Lee he struck gold.  Lincoln on the other hand relied on his generals more.  That is not to say that he cared less or was lesinvolved than Davis.  He just wasn't as much of a micro manager

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 05:59

I agree with bradcorazon.

But I'd add: Davis was better educated, Lincoln was smarter.

On Andrew Carnegie's tombstone it says something like 'Here lies a man who knew how to use the brains of other men more than his own'. It could go for Lincoln too.

The chief mistake he made was giving in to the pressure to make McLellan general of the armies.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 15:37
Originally posted by gcle2003

On Andrew Carnegie's tombstone it says something like 'Here lies a man who knew how to use the brains of other men more than his own'. It could go for Lincoln too.

The chief mistake he made was giving in to the pressure to make McLellan general of the armies.

Not having been the commander-in-chief of large armies before, Lincoln had a learning curve until 1863.  Fortunately in W. Sherman and U. S. Grant he found two of the best generals of the early industrial age.

Davis's better formal education was not much help.  He could not do all by himself, and the Confederate leadership was short of politicians who understood much other than Southern honor.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 08:05
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Not having been the commander-in-chief of large armies before, Lincoln had a learning curve until 1863.  Fortunately in W. Sherman and U. S. Grant he found two of the best generals of the early industrial age.

Pitted of course against the best of them.

Once Grant 'came east' Lee was no longer sufficiently superior enough to offset the North's logistic superiority. And there was noone west of the Appalachians to oppose Sherman.

Incidentally I'm looking forward to reading Newt's book 'Grant Comes East'. I read 'Gettysburg' last year and thought it excellent. But I haven't been in the US since the later one came out.

Davis's better formal education was not much help.  He could not do all by himself, and the Confederate leadership was short of politicians who understood much other than Southern honor.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 11:33

gcle:

I have not read either.  I can't find time to read fiction anymore.  Too much to do. 

Incidentally, I live 30 miles from Gettysburg.  My great, great grandfather and his brother were there in a PA cavalry regt.   (mother's side)

Edited by pikeshot1600
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 15:16

gcle:

I have not read either.  I can't find time to read fiction anymore.  Too much to do. 

Incidentally, I live 30 miles from Gettysburg.  My great, great grandfather and his brother were there in a PA cavalry regt.   (mother's side)

My mother-in-law died last year in Atlanta and in going through all the papers, we discovered a packet of letters from a great-...uncle written home to Georgia while he was serviing with the Confederate Army. One of them, indiscreetly, describes the dispositions of the Confederate forces just prior to Second Manasses.

It could have made a lot of difference falling into the wrong hands.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 16:44

gcle:

My mother-in-law died last year in Atlanta and in going through all the papers, we discovered a packet of letters from a great-...uncle written home to Georgia while he was serviing with the Confederate Army. One of them, indiscreetly, describes the dispositions of the Confederate forces just prior to Second Manasses.

It could have made a lot of difference falling into the wrong hands.

No Department of Southern Homeland Security then, and no Confederate Bureau if Investigation.  Was there a CCIA?

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 16:59

I remember that Davis strongly opposed the invasion of Pennsylvannia which Lee strongly insisted.  Being a veteran of Mexian-American War, and Secretary of Defense prior to the war, Davis knew that the only way to win the war was to keep the war dragging on until the opposition in the North erupted. He favored more focus on the defensive end rather than being the aggressive one. He was not wrong because as we know the Battle of Gettysburg was the turning point for the South. Thing might be quite different  if the Confederate avoided the tragic defeat of Gettysburg.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 07:56

I doubt that a different result in Gettysburg, or reinforcing Vicksburg the way Davis wanted to, would have made much long-term difference, given the imbalance of resources available.

Lincoln's gamble with the Emancipation Proclamation paid off. He lost support in the North and a lot of Federal troops even deserted, but nonetheless it kept Britain and France out of the war - stopped them even recognising the Confederacy let alone breaking the blockade. And foreign support was always the South's best hope.

Earlier in 1862 Gladstone had commented favourably on Davis - he had 'built a navy and built an army but even more built a nation'. The Proclamation - no matter what you think of Lincoln's motivation - changed all that.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 15:37
I agree with glce, sending Longstreet and his corp West to support Vicksburg would not have stopped Grant.  In the West Grant commanded an army with a superb officer corp and his movements were crisp and effective, as opposed to the bumbling movements of his subordinates when he commanded the AoP.  I think Grant would have beaten off any Confederate counter attack .
 Post Reply Post Reply