Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Human Concept of Beauty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Human Concept of Beauty
    Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 02:16

I wish to discuss how humans came to determine beauty. I have always thought that at least in the animal kingdom, the looks of the animals did not matter to mates when breeding(as long as the mates were healthy). Now to me all the animals looked the same, but perhaps to the animals they did not.

Now, what makes, lets say, one girl look totally beautiful and good looking and another one look ugly? What determines this in our mind? I guess I am mostly talking about facial features, how one face looks "better" than another.

I have been thinking of making a topic like this for awhile, ever since I had the thought of, "Hey, that girls is really good looking, but her sister is not as good looking. I wonder why this is?" Perhaps some input and ideas would be nice

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 02:19
Have you ever noticed that wifes/husbands or girl/boyfriends actually look quite similar even though they are unrelated. I have, this can't be a coincidence.
Periander View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Periander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 02:28
It may have been da Vinci whom it was said of in a documentary that beauty is beheld by the perfectness of symmetry in face and body.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 03:06
I think thats actually what makes the difference between some advanced computer graphics and real photos. Graphics are perfectly symmetrical while people aren't. 
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 03:56
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Have you ever noticed that wifes/husbands or girl/boyfriends actually look quite similar even though they are unrelated. I have, this can't be a coincidence.

I've noticed this too...and yes, I don't know if its a coincidence anymore because sometimes they look VERY much alike and I notice it more often.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Periander View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Periander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 04:17
lol, and I had high hopes of marrying a girl that looked like a model...
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 05:32

Originally posted by Origen

lol, and I had high hopes of marrying a girl that looked like a model...

I'm not sure what defines beauty, but I can tell you what isnt beauty at least to me anyway.

Take models, I doubt there could ever be found a group of people so sorely lacking in beauty as models, yet so many people love them and think their beautiful. Why? After near endless make-up sessions I dare say anyonre could be made to look *beautiful*, perhaps when it comes to models some guys just have a fetish for eating disorders and drug addictions.

I think the person behind the face contributes as much to beauty as just physically, i'll never find somebody beautiful who looks apparently stunning on the outside but totally vacant on the inside. Just as I probably wouldnt find somebody beautiful who was a great person but I didnt find attractive physically. Need both methinks.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 08:28
I always thought that the definition of beauty varies from person to person. Most of the time it originates and is shaped from desires within ourselves and also characteristics that we wish ourselves to possess but you could also say that a simple way of defining beauty is symmetry.
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
 Post Reply Post Reply