Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Languages of your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Languages of your country
    Posted: 20-May-2006 at 05:47
Languages:(Estimates)
Turkic:
Turkish:40 m
Azerbaijani:1 m
Tatar:1 m
Others:1 m

Iranic:
Kurmanji:18 m
Zazaki: 2 m
Persian:1 th.

Kartvelian:
Georgian: 250 th.
Laz: 150 th.

Slavic:
Bulgarian: 100 th.
Serbo Croatian: 90 th.

Alabanian: 200 th.

Arabic:500 th.

Others: about 5 m

Note: No value above has been based on data.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 13:10
Mothertongues in Albania

Albanian
Greek
Vlach (Aromanian)
Macedonian
Montenegrine (Serbian)

In Kosova

Albanian
Serbian
Macedonian
Turkish
Montenegrine (Serbian)
Bosnian
Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by Arbr Z

Mothertongues in Albania

Albanian
Greek
Vlach (Aromanian)
Macedonian
Montenegrine (Serbian)

In Kosova

Albanian
Serbian
Macedonian
Turkish
Montenegrine (Serbian)
Bosnian

And also Rromani (language of the balcan gypsies)
Prej heshtjes...!
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 14:15
In Armenia:

Armenian
Russian
English
French
Kurdish
Assyrian
Georgian
Turkish (although dying out, since only the elders know some)
Greek (small communities)
Azeri (small communities)
Gujurati (small student community, mostly in Yerevan)
Persian (small student community, mostly in Yerevan)

Edited by mamikon - 27-May-2006 at 14:36
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 17:09
Originally posted by Arber Z

Mothertongues in Albania

Albanian
Greek
Vlach (Aromanian)
Macedonian
Montenegrine (Serbian)

In Kosova

Albanian
Serbian
Macedonian
Turkish
Montenegrine (Serbian)
Bosnian
It is not "macedonian", it is bulgarian!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 22:13
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

Mothertongues in Albania

Albanian
Greek
Vlach (Aromanian)
Macedonian
Montenegrine (Serbian)

In Kosova

Albanian
Serbian
Macedonian
Turkish
Montenegrine (Serbian)
Bosnian
It is not "macedonian", it is bulgarian!

Thanks for pointing it out to me. Can you please explain me why this people, who want to call their language macedonian are not allowed to, while others are free to talk about bosnian, croatian and serbian etc etc. I understand perfectly the reasons of the Greek citizens regarding the name of macedonia, but after making it clear that ancient macedonia is not related to the modern one, I dont see any risks for the state of greece, even if the FYROM chose to call themselves thessalians, or cretans.
And since there is a state called Former Yugoslav Rep. Of Macedonia, and they internationally pretend to have a different language, I wouldnt like to call that language LoFYRoM. They call it macedonian, they could call that albanian, it would be OK for me. It is their right to call themselves whatever they want, as far as they are aware that this is no reason for territorial claims.
Prej heshtjes...!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 22:46
In Bulgaria the most common languages are

Bulgarian
Turkish
Gypsy
Armenian
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 00:14

Demolinguistics of the province of Quebec, Canada:

Quebec is the only Canadian province where French is the only official language. In 2001 the population was:

• French speakers: 82.0%
  • English speakers: 7.9%
  • Others: 10.1% (Italian 5.2%, Spanish 2.3%, Arabic 1.9%, and others)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 03:46
In Greece we have the following languages

-Greek
-Turkish
-Pomak
-Vlach
-Slavmacedonian
-Arvanitic

Edited by akritas - 01-Jul-2006 at 03:46
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 06:34
Originally posted by Arbλr Z

Thanks for pointing it out to me. Can you please explain me why this people, who want to call their language macedonian are not allowed to, while others are free to talk about bosnian, croatian and serbian etc etc. I understand perfectly the reasons of the Greek citizens regarding the name of macedonia, but after making it clear that ancient macedonia is not related to the modern one, I dont see any risks for the state of greece, even if the FYROM chose to call themselves thessalians, or cretans.
And since there is a state called Former Yugoslav Rep. Of Macedonia, and they internationally pretend to have a different language, I wouldnt like to call that language LoFYRoM. They call it macedonian, they could call that albanian, it would be OK for me. It is their right to call themselves whatever they want, as far as they are aware that this is no reason for territorial claims.

It's easy to talk and be "open-minded" for something that is not of your concern.

Since it's not forbidden to use this name for their language the others can call it like this. We call it Slav-macedonian.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 09:28
Originally posted by dorian

It's easy to talk and be "open-minded" for something that is not of your concern.

Since it's not forbidden to use this name for their language the others can call it like this. We call it Slav-macedonian.

OK, thats up to you I understand. But I really dont know why you always stress it out. Is it just a question of feelings towards the "Macedonia" term?
Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 09:31
Originally posted by akritas

-Greek
-Turkish
-Pomak
-Vlach
-Slavmacedonian
-Arvanitic

And also gypsie I suppose. I would add also albanian, there is a (significative) community of albanian emmigrants who now are citizens of Greece.
Prej heshtjes...!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 09:53

-Greek
-Turkish
-Pomak
-Vlach
-Slavmacedonian
-Arvanitic

Bulgarian, Pomak and Slavomacedonian are essentially all dialects of one common language  so you need not put them as different languages. In fact in many respects they are even closer to each other than Pontian and Greek are.

The Turkish spoken in Greece and Bulgaria is somewhat different than the formal Turkish too. In our dialects we tend to change the endings of the words.

EN                      TR                    BG_TR
I find           --     buluyorum     --     bulyerin
You go        --     gidiyorsun      --     gidisin
He comes    --     geliyor            --     geli

If you can say that that Pomak and Bulgarian different languages, then you can also say that Rumelian Turkish and Istanbul Turkish are too different languages as well which is absurd. I really do not see what purpose does this breaking down of languages serve. The version of the common language used by Bulgarians has a developed grammer and syntax and in my opinion Pomaks and Macedonian shoulld use the standard Bulgarian as their official language, in the same way I sue standard Turkish and Pontians would be better off using standard Greek as their language.

Edited by bg_turk - 01-Jul-2006 at 09:55
Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 14:50

Greece

Hellenic languages:

Demotic Greek: The official language of Greece, the one which is teached in schools. The pronounciation of many words differs from some parts of Greece to others. Almost all inhabitants of Greece can speak this language.

Pontic Greek: Ionic origin dialect spoken by the Greek refugees from Pontus (Black sea coast). Has only a few speakers today.

Tsakonian Greek: Ancient Doric dialect, still spoken today with the same form. Spoken by only a few people in the region of Tsakonia.

Non or partly hellenic languages:

Arvanitic: The mother language of the Arvanites. Albanian based language with many Greek elements. Even if the people of Arvanitic descent are about a million in Greece, the language is spoken by not more than 140,000.

Yevanic: Language of the Greek Jews (Romaniotes) with Hebrew and Greek elements. Speakers are a very few today, as Zionism promoted Hebrew as the language of all Jews in the world.

Megleno-romanian: Language of the Meglenoromanian Vlachs. Elements from both Aromanian and Greek. A few speakers today in Macedonia.

Aromanian: Romance language, spoken by the Vlachs of Greece. The number of speakers is limited today.

Pomak: Language spoken in the Pomak villages in Northern Greece. Has Slavic, Greek and Turkish elements.

Greek-Romani: The language spoken by the gypsies of Greece. Includes some Greek elements.

Slavic Makedonski: Spoken by the Slavic minority of Northern Greece.

Turkish: Spoken by the Turkish minority of Thrace.

(I don't include the languages of the current economical immigrants to Greece who came the last years.)

GoldenBlood View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote GoldenBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 19:59
In Kosova dont have any Fyromian Smile

In Fyrom Macedonia:

Bulgarian (Fyromian)
Albanian
Turkish
Vllach
Serbian
Bosnian

Kosova dhe Ilirida, pjese te Dardanise
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 05:46

-Greek
-Turkish
-Pomak
-Vlach
-Slavmacedonian
-Arvanitic

And also gypsie I suppose. I would add also albanian, there is a (significative) community of albanian emmigrants who now are citizens of Greece.

Indeed. Although a slight part of Albanians are greek citizens. So, Albanian language should be added. 
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 05:53
Originally posted by bg_turk

Bulgarian, Pomak and Slavomacedonian are essentially all dialects of one common language  so you need not put them as different languages. In fact in many respects they are even closer to each other than Pontian and Greek are.

Pontian is archaic form of greek. Don't talk like they are two different languages.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 03:58

]It is their right to call themselves whatever they want

Well, yes. And it is my right to say the truth here. Wink
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 04:00
Originally posted by GoldenBlood

In Kosova dont have any Fyromian Smile

In Fyrom Macedonia:

Bulgarian (Fyromian)
Albanian
Turkish
Vllach
Serbian
Bosnian

Exactly! Thumbs Up

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 10:39
Originally posted by dorian

Pontian is archaic form of greek. Don't talk like they are two different languages.

In the same way Pomak, Makedonski and Bulgarian are not different languages either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>