Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Languages of your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Languages of your country
    Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 20:48

In Greece apart from the Greek which is spoken by 98% of the population (including immigrants), other main spoken languages are:

Albanian (Albanians)

Bulgarian (Bulgarians)

Pontic (greek dialect spoken by Pontian-Greeks refugees)

Vlach-Romani language (spoken along with greek by few vlachophone Greeks)

Slavic (spoken by Slavs and few-around 4,000-slavophone Greeks)

Turkish (spoken by the muslims of Thrace)

of course there are much more.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 07:51
Vancouver, Canada:

(Based on 2001 statistics)

English: 49%
Chinese (mostly Cantonese, but also Mandarin/Taiwanese): 26.4%
Punjabi: 2.7%
Tagalog: 2.4%
Vietnmese: 2.2%
...<2%, in order:
French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Hindi, Portuguese, Persian, Polish, Russian, Greek...

In recent years, there has been a large influx of Korean and Persian speakers, which would significantly skew these results. Chinese dialects still dominate as the de facto second language of the city. Interestingly, Vancouver has virtually no Arabic or Turkish speaking communities, unlike Europe. We also have a very large migrant ESL-student community of Japanese, Korean and Spanish speakers during the summer months. =) 

(Aside: I believe i am one of only a few hundred Hebrew speakers in the region, and perhaps the only non-Zionist Hebrew speaker in the city.)

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 17:19
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Iran (Population: around 70 m)

1.Azeri (23.5 m)
2.Persian (22 m)
3.Kurdish (6.7 m)
4.Gilaki (3.2 m)
5.Mazani (3.2 m)
6.Luri (2.3 m)
7.Turkmen (2 m)
8.Qashqai (1.5 m)
9.Arabic (1.4 m)
10.Domari (1.3 m)
11.Laki (1 m)
12.Bakhtiari (1 m)
13.Baluchi (0.9 m)
14.Khorasani Turkish (0.5 m)
15.Dari (0.3 m)
16.Armenian (0.2 m)
17.Hazaragi (0.2 m)
18.Takestani (0.2 m)
19.Aimaq (0.2 m)
20.Pashto (0.1 m)

your statistics are wrong, these are the right ones:

Persian 51%, Azeri 24%, Gilaki and Mazandarani 8%, Kurd 7%, Arab 3%, Lur 2%, Baloch 2%, Turkmen 2%, other 1%

persians are roughly 35 million,azeri's are about 23 million.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 00:56
1%=700,000 we have more than 5 million Lurs, Domaris, Bakhtiaris, ..., don't you think so? Maybe you think they all speak Persian?!!
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 07:17

prsn4life: How can there be more Gilaki and Mazardandi speakers than Kurdish?

7% of 70 million is like 4,9 million. I can assure you that there are atleast 6 million Kurds In Iran...

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 07:57

There are more than 2% Lor for sure. Lors are spread all over the place.

What about Laks?  They number at about 1,000,000 - they own Kermanshah now, they invaded from Ellam 20 years ago and pushed out the Persians and city Lors & Kurds who mostly relocated to Tehran.

Cent: Population of Kordestan province is 1.5 Million at most, maybe there are 300,000 Kurds (at most) in West Azarbaijan (total population 3m), in Kermanshah 65% of the 1.8 million population  are Kurds, so that is 1.2m and there are at most 100,000 (of total 550k) at most in Illam. (3.1m)

I don't know where your 6 million figure comes from, but it is probably from uneducated hyper nationalist sources that claim Lors and everyone else in Western Iran to be Kurds. But there are about 1.5m Kurds also in Eastern Iran.

This is a very good map from 2004.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Iran_ethn oreligious_distribution_2004.jpg

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:02

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

1%=700,000 we have more than 5 million Lurs, Domaris, Bakhtiaris, ..., don't you think so? Maybe you think they all speak Persian?!!

what are your sources? the figures i have posted are from the cia world factbook, and i have also seen these same figures used in many other sources.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:03

originally posted by zagros (im just going to post the whole map so people can see):

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:17

"maybe there are 300,000 Kurds (at most) in West Azarbaijan (total population 3m)"

Are you kidding me?

Let see now the population in the major cities in West Azarbaijan:

Piranshahr 66,363, Urmia maybe 200 000 (And the sourounding villiages, even more), Naghadeh atleast 30 000, Salmas 50 000, Mahabad 168,328, Khoy 100 000, Oshnaviyeh 53,444, Bukan 225,391, Shahindej 20 000, Chaldoran 10 000, Takab 20 000, Sardasht 50,000. Maku 15,000

And also MANY small villages with kurdish populations.  

All these together: OVER 1 000 000 KURDS, not yours 300 000...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Azarbaijan

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:18

By the way Zagros, I've never claimed Lurs to be Kurds...

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:38

Even with that figure it is only 3.8m - and I checke dthe figure for Khorassan from a Kurdish source and it claims 700,000 (Kermanjis deported from Karabakh region by Shah Abbas)- so at a pretty accurate estimate we have 4.5 million Kurds (3.8m in western regions) of various branches of whom almost half are Shia.  Where does the 6 million figure come from?

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:43

Zagros, to be honest: Nationalist sites.

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:45
The nationalist sites probably includes Lak and Luri...
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:53

Yes, they probably do, more Lak than Luri, because if you count Luri the figure would be 10 million at least.

Laks are wild. some clans made lots of money from contraband (smuggling) my cousin told me of one family who bought a mansion in Kermanshah, and used the swimming pool as a sheep pen, because that is what they thought it was for.

And one time there was a feud between two clans they started gun battles between streets and one clan had a refurbished Iraqi tank from the Iran/Iraq war, the police were too scared to do anything, the army had to be called in.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 11:07
In Azarbaijan provinces and Ardabil the total population is only 7-8 million of which 15-25% are non-Turkic.  The rest of the Turkic-Azaries are in Tehran and spread in most other major cities and I seriously doubt they number more than 14m at least to 18m at most. Where do these ridiculous 30-40 million figures come from, Cyrus?
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 11:12

"Yes, they probably do, more Lak than Luri, because if you count Luri the figure would be 10 million at least.

Laks are wild. some clans made lots of money from contraband (smuggling) my cousin told me of one family who bought a mansion in Kermanshah, and used the swimming pool as a sheep pen, because that is what they thought it was for.

And one time there was a feud between two clans they started gun battles between streets and one clan had a refurbished Iraqi tank from the Iran/Iraq war, the police were too scared to do anything, the army had to be called in."

True.

Haha, nice. I know some Lak people, and they speak Kermanshahini kurdish. But what language do they regulary speak? Persian?

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 11:36
They have their own language, it is a mix of Luri and Bashuri (Kermanshahi).  Kermanshahis can communicate with htem without much problem.

Edited by Zagros
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 23:20

The numbers Cyrus has mixes the old and new numbers there were 22 million Persian speakers in Iran when population was 35 mil not now that the population is almost 70 mil. Number of Azeri speakers at that time was about 10 mil. The real numbers currently is not really known since most people moving to the bigger cities don't pass on their original language they spoke to their children and adopt Persian

The problem with Kurdish is that the official number is at 7% but many speak dialects that are closer to Persian than the language spoken by the Kurds in Turkey or Syria

Here is what Wikipedia has on this:

The number of Persian-speakers of Iran is estimated more than 42 millions, (see: Persian people) ( Ethnologue using an obsolete and old information claims that in 1997 there were 22 million native speakers of Persian language spoken in Iran). Other major languages in Iran are Azeri (c. 16.8 million), Kurdish (7.6 million) (Northern, Central, Southern and Laki), Gilaki (3.265 million), Mazandarani (3.265 million), Luri (2.375 million), Turkmen (2 million), Bakhtiari (1 million).

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 06:13

"They have their own language, it is a mix of Luri and Bashuri (Kermanshahi). "

Nice that you use: bashuri, Zagros

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 00:49

prsn4life,

those maps dont tell us the whole truth. they only show where the OTHER language groups exist, without really telling us whether they are majority or w/e. The fact the matter is Persian is spoken all over Iran. and other languages are also spoken.

...plus how can CIA ever tell us what we have in our nation, there are no official statistics in Iran anyway, so those are all estimates. and we all know CIA and their propaganda. It says 54% speak persian in Iran.

well, In reality, I believe, there are 50-75 Persians (though it does not matter). and Persian is spoken by %100 of country.

also Arabic is also taught in school, so perhaps 50% know how to communicate in arabic fluently.

"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>