Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkish Prime Minister Erdogan: Cartoons Affront our Moral Values

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan: Cartoons Affront our Moral Values
    Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 06:32
Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan: Cartoons Affront our Moral Values

Source: http://www.zaman.com/?bl=international&alt=&trh=2006 0204&hn=29359

The re-publication of insulting caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed in France following the lead of Denmark and Norway angered Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

"These cartoons attack our moral values," Erdogan said yesterday during a meeting with French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste Blazy.

"Freedom of press should have some limits," and Turkey participates in the works of "alliance of civilizations," the Turkish prime minister told Mr. Blazy.

"While we strive for the alliance of civilizations, this kind of approach serves for the clash of civilizations."

At the news briefing after the meeting, the French Minister said they are handling the issue in the scope of freedom of press; however, the press should be respectful to beliefs.

When asked, "Would you handle it the same way if they were cartoons of Christ," Blazy replied "Yes."

Protests Against Danish Cartoons in Istanbul Today

Source:
http://www.zaman.com/?bl=hotnews&alt=&trh=20060204&a mp;hn=29368

Hundred of Turkish people poured into the streets following Friday prayers to protest against Denmark and other European countries for publishing offensive caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.

Muslims in the provinces of Istanbul, Konya, Mersin, and Trabzon held protests and chanted slogans against Denmark.

The offensive depiction of the Prophet Mohammed first published in Denmark and later in other European Union countries has stirred up a diplomatic storm.

A group of rightwing conservative people held a protest in the quarter of Bagcılar, chanting slogans such as, "Our blood for Islam," and "Down with the attempts to slander Islam."

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 09:48
I did not expect Turkey to join this protest, I was thinking they would have preferred to avoid confrontation with EU because of their request to join the Union.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 09:50

Err, Infact they are still managing criss well, still no boycot. At least not a large boycot.

Fort Brooklyn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 13:39
Syrian protestors lit the Danish embassy on fire. The world is crumbling over a cartoon. I understand the cartoon was wrong and childish. But to go this far?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 13:41
Originally posted by Fort Brooklyn

Syrian protestors lit the Danish embassy on fire. The world is crumbling over a cartoon. I understand the cartoon was wrong and childish. But to go this far?
I agree, also shouldnt the danish and the norwegion embassy protected by cops out there? I have my doubts about it...
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 13:51

Well lets hope, fire dont jump to Turkey.

Infact goverment is trying to stop protests, Police didnt let protester to burn danish flag.

After all what choice they have, our economy depend on EU to much.

Edited by Mortaza
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 14:26

our badluck is that jesus christ is as holy as prophet Mohammed (SAS) for us

if he weren't we could just make one or two cartoons and let our fire be gone away

but why don't the muslim world cartoonize rasmussen, that stubborn politician?? 

history is just a repetation of itself
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 15:18
I thought Erdogan got used to tolerate cartoons.
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 15:21
hehe that's true for the most part
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by cebeci

if he weren't we could just make one or two cartoons and let our fire be gone away

That would be a more rational answer.

Regarding Jesus: if we can defile Mohammed is because we have defiled Jesus before a zillion times. It's part of our punktherapy. You should try it...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 15:46

no thanks

mohammed is holy for us and we hardly let anybody make him jerk

criticize us, damn terrorists, bomb insurgents, but stop there!

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 16:11

Originally posted by Maju

Regarding Jesus: if we can defile Mohammed is because we have defiled Jesus before a zillion times. It's part of our punktherapy. You should try it...  

This is your culture and I respect it. But picturing prophet of Islam as a terrorist and a suicide bomber is beyond the scope of defile. This is a kind of insult and racism. You cannot expect that everyone should do the same or react as you do. You are not the authority that will decide what "can be done" or "can not be done". What you can do is that know the other cultures and people and do not make something that can hurt them. This is very simple.

And as I respect to your culture and moral values you will respect me either. But Denmark which is in a remote corner of the world may not be accustomed with multi-culturalism. I wonder when a mosque has been built in Denmark. May be 50 maximum 100 years ego....But EU slogans were very strong about "multi culturalism".

On the other hand this is not a mistake or deficiency of Danish people. They are like this, their culture is simply like this. There is nothing to do with Danish government (I do not have any sympathy at all ) since it is not fair to force a prime minister to apologize because of a cartoon publicised in a daily private news paper of Danmark.

But just watch and observe how Europeans are reacting in this issue. And as Turks, we should reconsider to participate in this "club" having a very "lovely" multi cultural life and respectful attitudes to other cultures.

Edited by Alparslan
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 16:34

I hear this quite often, may I ask WHY Jesus is holy in Islam?

Note: It is just a cartoon.These Danish were not muslims, so who says they need to follow islams rule of not depicting Allah?

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Fort Brooklyn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 16:38
Originally posted by Alparslan

But Denmark which is in a remote corner of the world may not be accustomed with multi-culturalism

Is it really? I figure some place more like New Zealand would be considered in a remote corner of the world. But...Denmark?

Edited by Fort Brooklyn
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 17:29
Yes Jesus is holly.
In Coran there is also a scene where ,Christ and his Mother are speaking to God and telling him:"we didnt ask of the people to worship us as gods we are just humans" (!!!!)

Anyway..the situation in Turkey is clear:
The government wants to balance:to prove that they are Europeans (although this "there are limits in freedom of press (!!)" ) and from the other hand to show that its on the side of the islamic (and mostly fanatic) majority of the population.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 17:37

Originally posted by Digenis

Yes Jesus is holly.
In Coran there is also a scene where ,Christ and his Mother are speaking to God and telling him:"we didnt ask of the people to worship us as gods we are just humans" (!!!!)
  Quote me the source of it, if you have one or just say you barked it.

Anyway..the situation in Turkey is clear:
The government wants to balance:to prove that they are Europeans (although this "there are limits in freedom of press (!!)" ) and from the other hand to show that its on the side of the islamic (and mostly fanatic) majority of the population.

Anyhow ill have to agree with you in here (only here), R.T.E. (receb tayyib erdogan) and his gang wants tobe neutral between west vs muslimworld with little bit showing their Islamic side to the west.

Altough R.T.E. had self probs about a cartoon for a while...

cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 17:42
Originally posted by strategos

I hear this quite often, may I ask WHY Jesus is holy in Islam?

Note: It is just a cartoon.These Danish were not muslims, so who says they need to follow islams rule of not depicting Allah?

jesus is holy in islamic belief since he is one of the benamed prophets in Qoran. We believe that initial christianity was also righteous (hak). But as you jump up to the topics without knowledge of islam you have no chance to know both religions respect the same person but one corrupted religion denies another one

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 17:45

I am realy curious, how much RTE can control protestors.

For now, even religious newspapers didnt call for a protest.

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 17:50
Day,i have read the Coran but i dont keep it in my house (i have many other things i want to read )-read it and you ll find where its written (anyone faithful muslim can help us)
Gosh u cannot look one meter away cause of fanatism!
stop biting!

Edited by Digenis
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 17:52

then call the newspapers and beg for a call

what are you trying to do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>