Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUS takes advantage of cartoon fiasco

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US takes advantage of cartoon fiasco
    Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 21:16

the US, as I expected, takes this as a chance to "win hearts and minds" of muslims:

US blasts cartoons of Prophet Mohammed

Fri Feb 3, 11:11 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States blasted the publication by European newspapers of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed as unacceptable incitement to religious or ethnic hatred.

"These cartoons are indeed offensive to the beliefs of Muslims," State Department spokesman Justin Higgins said when queried about the furore sparked by the cartoons which first appeared in a Danish newspaper.

"We all fully recognize and respect freedom of the press and expression but it must be coupled with press responsibility," Higgins told AFP.

"Inciting religious or ethnic hatreds in this manner is not acceptable. We call for tolerance and respect for all communities and for their religious beliefs and practices."

The cartoons have caused an international furore, with protests in many Muslim nations and from Muslim political leaders.

While many European newspapers have turned the publication into a free speech debate no major US newspaper has published the cartoons.

Editors at several US news organizations told AFP they were covering the escalating row but had decided not to reprint them or air them on television out of respect for their readers or viewers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060203/pl_afp/useuropemediaisl am_060203161134

Edited by Alborz
"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 21:26

Or maybe Muslims in the US were calling to complain to their Government Representatives to speak up about it.

But your right, lets assume the worse because all Americans are dirty Yankees right? pitiful...

Edited by SearchAndDestroy
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 21:27
Good.

P.S. That was supposed to get in before Search and Destroy.
The american response sounds good.

Edited by Omar al Hashim
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 21:40
America is more religious than Europe, especially it's leadership.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they actually do understand the offense.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 23:46
I don't think America really cares if Muslims are offended or not. This is all political. Trust me, one look at what the entertainment industry over here puts out and you'd know that we are used to having religion bashed on all the time.

Think about it...this is all because of Iraq. Iraqis were protesting all over the place against the Danish. Could you imagine if a major US paper woudl avhe re-printed those cartoons. You'd have Iraqis protesting agaisnt the US in the same way. There'd be boost in the amount of insurgent attacks, etc...There's no need to further inflame the situation over there, and this would have done just that.

Edited by Illuminati
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 00:44
Clever move, regardless of motives.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 01:13

That does sound like a pretty good explaination, but regardless, its still the right thing to do

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 04:33
Who do you think that has fed Fundamentalism in the Middle East? The USA and its Saudi puppy. Why? Now we can see it: both the USA and Israel are much more fundamentalist/religious than almost anything Europe and also more than anywhere in East Asia, so they can exploit the irrational processes of fanaticism better than we do.

This explains well why the USA has favored Saudi Arabia and it's puppies while destroying laicist alternatives such as Baathist Iraq but also pro-Soviet Afgahanistan.

Watch out Turkey! You may be next.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 04:51
Well, that's not an all-american position.
Also some Italian authorities, like foreign minister G. Fini and Italian member and deputy president of European Commission F. Frattini hinted that the cartoon publication was "unwise" since fredom of press has to be balanced with respect to every religion and spiritual belief; thus distancing from most other European leaders.

I personally disagre, since for me secularism, together with all its stances, among which fre speech, is non-negotiable, since its the only system where all beliefs can coexist in a neutral framework.

However, we could not expect differently from a country like mine, where blasphemy against catholicism is still a penal offence: since we overprotect "our" religion, we would be hypocritic not to support other ones defending theirs
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 05:46
But Italians and Poles are the more fundis in Europe. Not long ago an Italian candidate for the Eurocomission was vetoed beause of homophobia and speaking against lone mothers... Simultaneously other tories from diferent nations passed the test without problems. Italia e pazza.

Let's see: Greece is also rather intolerant, and Ireland too. Spain protects Catholicism with money and privilieges but blasphemy is no crime here. If it was, jails would be filled with people, as near everybody blasphemes in common language a lot. Also there are many anti-clericals and few active Christians left.

Anyhow, I think it's important that religioun has no protection:after all it's just an irrational superstion without any reason to exist other than ignorance and traditions. We need to finance public education systems everyhwhere: educated people don't have those problems for the most part. Also religions are fed through bad public educational systems.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 06:18
An uncharacteristically tactful move.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 06:24

I think it's very clever (as i would do the same in their position). They're finally doing what i've been thinking they should do since 2001, win back the hearts of muslims.

Hounestly though, im starting to get a bit scared, there's demonstations in almost every islamic capital and last night there was a sky news poll (ok ok not exactly reliable) saying that 75% feel that the cartoons should be published in England. Jihadi's are going to take advantage if an apology isn't given (and by all means i feel it should be given).

That with Chirac stating he will retailate attacks with nukes, which of course probably won't happen, but the very thought of it is making me scared

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 07:04
All France has going for it, it seems are nukes, so that is all he can talk about.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 07:50

The British government lined up with the US, which irritated me since Parliament only a few days ago, in a revolt against the government, decided that publishing such material would be legal, no matter how offensive,

Originally posted by Mila

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they actually do understand the offense.

People adopting my position fully understand the offence. The point is that one should be free to offend. Giving offence should not be illegal, any more than burning flags and boycotting stuff should be illegal.

What is wrong is killing and mutilating people, or threatening to do so (as has happened to the Danish cartoonists), or inciting other people to kill and mutilate.

The way to answer a cartoon is with another cartoon. Or as that brave Jordanian journalist put it, to ignore the trivial and concentrate on the important, like photographs of Muslims beheading hostages.

Giles Coren had a superb piece on the situation in The Times today

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2023883,00.html

as did Matthew Paris

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2023870,00.html

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 07:56

One should be free to offend, so, if tomorrow I drew a picture of an evil black man raping a white girl, I would be exercising my freedom of speach or inciting racial violence?

I personally think intent is more of an issue than content.

Edited by Zagros
sdavidr View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 08:18
Freedom of expression has, as any other freedom, the limit of the respect to the life, the properties and the honor of the others. In almost all the countries there exist legislations that establish these limits, including the right of the persons, communities and state institutions to raising bills of complaint when they suffer a calumny or damage or see stained their beliefs.

But of course, you can't blame an entire country for this or an entire culture. Islamic countries are accustomed to the community whereas in the western world predominates the individualism. And the governments cannot decide on the matter, only a judge can decide if this cartoonist is guilty or not.

So, I can't believe that this has converted to a clash of civilizations without any reason.
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 08:26
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

I think it's very clever (as i would do the same in their position). They're finally doing what i've been thinking they should do since 2001, win back the hearts of muslims.

Hounestly though, im starting to get a bit scared, there's demonstations in almost every islamic capital and last night there was a sky news poll (ok ok not exactly reliable) saying that 75% feel that the cartoons should be published in England. Jihadi's are going to take advantage if an apology isn't given (and by all means i feel it should be given).

Look: the newspaper apologized, the Danish government didn't know where to hide...

It doesn't matter: this is an excuse to create tensions between the Mad Mullahs and the Voltaires of the World, with some Machiavellic cardinals and rabbis smiling twistedly.

That with Chirac stating he will retailate attacks with nukes, which of course probably won't happen, but the very thought of it is making me scared

I personally think that EU would need to reinforce our collective nuclear defensive force and point some missiles to Mecca and other Muslim holy cities: maybe we will suffer attacks from two-neuroned idiots but we should cause them Islam to physically die in exchange.

If Muslims states and priests can't control their flock, then some other type of action must be taken: we just can't be exposed to such a threat and agression.

Can Islam survive without Mecca?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 08:48

come on Maju,  how can any muslim organisation control what fringe groups or individuals do? do you have any say in ETA's operations?  do any of your community leaders that you know of?  Should the Spanish military lace Bayonne with C-4 so that next time there is an ETA transgression the whole city be detonated?

Can ETA survive without Bayonne?

Edited by Zagros
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 09:44

[/QUOTE] Can Islam survive without Mecca?

[/QUOTE]

Stupid question.

Edited by Mortaza
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 09:56
Originally posted by Zagros

come on Maju,  how can any muslim organisation control what fringe groups or individuals do?

Intolerance is being cheered by all Muslim and quasi-Muslim entities (except curiously the Muslims of Europe).

The question is why have we to bear the babbling of a bunch of superstitious fanatics. It seems that we have comitted a crime and that we should be punished for that.

I say no: we have not comitted any crime and we should let very clear that any agression will be retaliated and that Saudis (the main financers of fundamentalism and intolerance) won't be able to escape this time.

Maybe it would be enough to freeze Saudi acounts in Europe... maybe not. I think that would be weak if something like that of van Gogh happens again. I think that we must be merciless... our tolerance is being pushed to the limit, our benevolence and hospitality is being abused.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>