Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEthnic Cleansing of Macedonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethnic Cleansing of Macedonia
    Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 12:42

Originally posted by Isokrates

why did greek army burned half of western anatolia? reason should be  same

Interesting statement when we could present a number of documents and quotes from people that lived it, all making reference to cleansing of the Hellines of Anatolia by Talaat among others..
My oldest uncle and my grandfather did fought during ww1 war first in the east front then in the west during pushing Greeks to the far west. They knows one thing very good that Afyon (province where im from) whas burnt by Greeks when they left, the bolvadin (a city inside afyon) libary wich had many old documents/books whas burnt when they reached it.

Those 2 survived the war but my grandfathers older bro's 5 sons where died during that war, they have even made a song-like poet for one of his brave son (mehmet cavus) wich still my father knows it.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 12:55

The VMRO ( is the one that published the following Bulgarian newspaper during the Macedonia  and Thrace (Greek terittories ) occupation at WW II

Also  VMRO and the Ohrana help the Germans for the Jews ethnical cleasing as  US consulant Berry  in Constantinople  mention(USNARA,874.4016/68, 25-3-1943)

Edited by akritas
Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 13:41
No intention of sounding disrespectfull, but I find it hard to believe the 'version' presented by former military..
Not because they're Turkish, but because I think someone implicated in the battles simply can't be objective.
But wasn't Afyon used as Kemals headquarters in Aug. 1922, if so, there is no real posibility of the city being burnt to the ground is there ?

Anyway, I believe the question was about who burnt Smyrna. So under the logic I mentioned above, I'd honestly prefer to believe G. Horton, that tells us in his "The Blight of Asia" \ :

"I went up into the tower of the American College at Paradise, and, with a pair of field-glasses, could plainly see Turkish soldiers setting fire to houses. I could see Turks lurking in the fields, shooting at Christians. When I drove down to Smyrna from Paradise to Athens, there were dead bodies all along the road."

If you're interested you can read the whole book online HERE

Edited by Isokrates
"When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a
child; but when I became a man I put away childish things."
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 22:06
How have i got the feeling this thread is getting pulled into turkish war of independance.

NikeBG wrote:
"I think this wasn't his intention"
Ignoring his sources and the way he chose his"facts" or his language. We just have to agree to disagree.
"So I agree with "The brutal violence was widespread, done by all sides and started before the greeks joined the fray.""
If other forumers can be as fair then we'd all learn a little more

"Actually, I'd say it started when some people came from Asia Minor, but I might offend someone this way, so... "
.... say no more

"Oh, about what exactly? "?
Just the actual details, I had only a rough idea and i like the greek independance wars so it was natural that i would like to read about the other wars of independance.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 03:16

I never did mention VMOK or did I?
If VMORO is so different than VRMO then the FYROMians have chosen a wrong person for their national hero in the face of Goce Delcev..thats for sure..

You mentioned something, which was neither VMORO, nor VMOK, but was much closer to VMOK. And btw there is no such thing as VRMO - there's VMORO (or IMARO on English), which later becomes VMRO (IMRO, not IRMO). Please, if you're going to write about it, at least learn how to write it right! Otherwise it's like saying UAS for the USA (meaning might be the same, but it's still different)...

P.S. Oh, and FYROMians have chosen many wrong things...
Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 08:58
And btw there is no such thing as VRMO - there's VMORO (or IMARO on English), which later becomes VMRO (IMRO, not IRMO). Please, if you're going to write about it, at least learn how to write it right!

Firstly, keep the snotty atitude for someone else, cause I won't take it nor will it assist the discussion in any way..
I let it go that you claimed that the VMORO was a "revolutionary organization", when in reality, we know it was terrorizing not only the Ottomans but all Hellinic and Serbic populations.. yet you're stuck on the correct positioning of the letters of an acronym..
Let it go and please continue on the topic..

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 12:35

If you have actually been in Greece i would expect to write the greek name (the true one) of that city.

Why would I write the Greek name of a Turkish city?

The real picture isn't worst from other areas in the Greek statement

This is the real, true picture:

I hope the picture in the rest of Greece 'statement' isn't the same with it.

I challenge you to give me an example

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/greece/

Human rights report. Enough?

The tortures in Thessalonica was also very widespread

Why would Turks torture their loyal inhabitants of Salonika? The main majority was Turks before the Balkan wars and the population exchange as we all know. Salonika was a Macedonian origined city, inhabited mostly by Turks and then Jews.

Interesting statement when we could present a number of documents and quotes from people that lived it, all making reference to cleansing of the Hellines of Anatolia by Talaat among others..

Greeks also burned Afyon, Kutahya, Aydin and most of western Anatolia just like they burned Izmir. And the period we are talking about is later than the Greek claims of ethnic cleansing. Even the Greek president of the invasion time, Venezilos accepted it and apoligized for it.

But as Isocrates said, lets just discuss about the ethnic cleansing of Macedonia, and forget about this debate now.

Edited by Bashibozuk
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 15:57
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

If you have actually been in Greece i would expect to write the greek name (the true one) of that city.

The real picture isn't worst from other areas in the Greek statement

This is the real, true picture:

I hope the picture in the rest of Greece 'statement' isn't the same with it.

I challenge you to give me an example

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/greece/

You believe that i am an idiot right? You are writting me all those craps and expect me to believe them?

1st) Turkish city in Greece!!!! Oh that must be a new!!! Well ladies and gentell man here is the biggest new in world today. Greece today have also Turkish cities. Look "dude" give me the real (greek) name of the city that you have actually been and leave out those little filphy propaganda tricks. Because if you actually believe that cities that have been rised by greeks are turkish and now are in greek controll then you have a reall nationalist problem. I sujest to go and hear some more patriotic songs..

2nd) If propaganda is forbiten here, then you must be banned and ashamed for that photo that you post here. If you want really to talk and discuss something them you shouldn't post photos that PROOF NOTHING. And what's your problem with that picture? The closed and abadon shop? HA i can show you such shops in every corner of Greece. The middle figer? or the title: safe sex? HAHAHA don't tell me that you go socked? OMG you are a puritanist or a mullah?

3rd) If you haven't notice it we live in 2006 by now not in 1000 AD  or in 600 AD.

Well, you haven't answer my questions, you show me grap propaganda as usall... Well i waste my time with you. I really hate to speak with people that may still believe that Greece is turkish. Face it we got libarate and we have make more progress that you. Face it, accept it , why because is the truth.

I am not really pround for my country. But i like it for one of her aspect: That turn her back to puritanish and Hyppocrisy of the muslin theocratic countries and people bahaviour.

Bann me if i haven't follow a forum law, but you also should consider that propagandist here.

That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 17:11

Continue  my post and the Bulgarian efforts of the Ethnical cleansing in Greek Macedonia I want to show photos from the WWII period and specially under the ocuppation from the fascists. The pictures show Slavmacedonians supporters of the Unity Idea of Macedonia (Greek, Serbia) in Bulgaria

Picture from Kastoria (Greek Macedonia). In the picture are Hitler anf Bulgarian king Borida. The people are Slavmacedonians supporters of Bulgarian VMRO

Picture from Monastirion (Vardar Macedonia) in FYROM.

Picture from Scopjie

The Bulgarians  transfered  a lot of public employees in order to change the demographic status in Greek Macedonia. Except the Greeks and Jews also and the billiteral Greeks (Slavphones Greeks) suffered a lot of these actions.

The effort continue and with the collapse of the axon via Commitern (Yugoslav and Bulgarian Communist  Partizans) during Greek civil war.

Edited by akritas
Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 20:19

Exactly which is the 'Turkish' city named Iskene found in the lands of Hellas, unless you're talking about some other area (like Marocco) which would make your post off topic since the topic is about Makedonia.. 

but anyway, since I do enjoy these discussions

While some parts of the report are debatable, that's actually quite low considering your (Turkey's) perfect record in all UN and HR records..
Care to inform us exactly how many Hellines are left in Turkey.
Please do give us the exact numbers in Konstantinoupoli, Smyrni..etc and especially Imvros and Tenedos.. you know the islands in which prison inmates were allowed to roam the islands freely and murder several of the inhabitants that just out of a crazy coincidence were all Hellines..

Why would Turks torture their loyal inhabitants of Salonika? The main majority was Turks before the Balkan wars and the population exchange as we all know. Salonika was a Macedonian origined city, inhabited mostly by Turks and then Jews.

Loyal inhabitants???
In who's history book is this written ???

Beside the fact that we have several accounts of continuous uprisings after the liberation of S. Hellas...
According to the census of Hilmi Pasha in 1906, out of a total of 173.000 some 80.000 were Jewish, some 55.000 were Muslims and the rest Christians..

Greeks also burned Afyon, Kutahya, Aydin and most of western Anatolia just like they burned Izmir.

Never, heard anything similar to this before and even though I did search for it, didn't manage to find a single objective source to support this..
I do advise you to read :

Smyrna 1922: The Destruction of a City
Dobkin, Marjorie Housepian.

Forgetting the Smyrna Fire
Kolluoglu Kirli

The Blight of Asia
George Horton

Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 12:46

You believe that i am an idiot right?

Where did you get this from?

Look "dude" give me the greek name of the city that you have actually been

Xanthi, Komotini, Thesellanoiki, Athens, Pireus and others that I am not able to spell right now.

you must be banned and ashamed for that photo

I am not the one who should be ashamed for that photo.

By the way, if you idn't understand the meaning of the photo, let me clear it. It is a poster placed on the wall of a Turkish mosque in Iskee, as you call Ksanthi. It is no propoganda.

Please do give us the exact numbers in Konstantinoupoli, Smyrni

In Istanbul, there aren't much Rums left after the happennings of 1955.  In Izmir, there are still Rums around, but not much after the population exchanges between Turkey and Greece.

especially Imvros and Tenedos

The number of Greeks left there isn't more than the number of Turks left in Crete and Rhodes after the population exchange. And of course in Midilli, the home of Cemal Pasha, one of the three leaders of CUP.

you know the islands in which prison inmates were allowed to roam the islands freely and murder several of the inhabitants

Never heard of that before.

Dobkin, Marjorie Housepian

Wasn't she the Armenian writer who claimed 100 thousand Greeks died in Izmir even an anti-Turkish person like George Horton claims the number of casualties were around 1000-2000? Really reliable.She also claimed two million Armenians suffered from the socalled Armenian genocide when it is proven that even the total Armenian population after the Treaty of Aya Stefanos was around 1,3 million.

Her ideas about Bosnians and the Bosnian genocide aren't more reliable than these.

George Horton and Mark Prentiss wrote about the Greek invaders arming the civilians and sending Turks out of the city, or according to some authors, simply massacring them.I suggest you to read the quotes from Paul Grescovich, the fire chief of the city. It is wrong to quote them all in here, but a small research would help.

Never, heard anything similar to this before

Similarly, Aksehir near Konya was also burned by the Greek army. It is known that these cities were rebuilt after the Turkish liberation. That is why Venizelos paid compensation to Turkey in 1923 for the horrific atrocities committed against the Turkish civilians in western Turkey.

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 15:04

A few thinks about your photo. To be that's an abadon old building. The door is locked by a way that means it is abadon for year.... Is it really a mosque? Let that photo show nothing. Also the posters are from movies witch are played in cinema? What your problem with that? You hate movies? Then that's your problem not mine. I still believe that you are a puritanist.

You really believe that ksanthi is a turkish city!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever read a history book despite some ultra nationalist crap in you country!!!!! Lol Xanthi exit far before the word turk have been spoken in the world. So you are also an ultra Nationalist.

So until now you show as a photo, that: a) Show and abadon building that may be a random building- you say that it is a mosque b) you say that those posters is an insult to the muslims there!!!!!??????. When you cannot not only understant teir purpose, but obviusly can't understant what they say. - Still you show us that as an insult.

For those i mock you as an propagantish and i still believe that a moderator should consider your case.

You still haven't say a word about the stupit greek law that tolarates the muslims student by far better that the others in a range that it is fasist against the non muslin thracian students. Or you want more laws like that one???.

And one last question from me to you. Banshibanzurk wasn't that pillagers, villains,barbarians, assasins, that follow the turkish army in medieval times and kill, rape, torture and massacre the civilians in the town they conquer? Well you really deserve that name..

ps: Learn to respect art, or you are throm those dudes that sent people to assasin those who dare right something against islam......

Edited by BlindOne
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 19:07
By the way, if you idn't understand the meaning of the photo, let me clear it. It is a poster placed on the wall of a Turkish mosque in Iskee, as you call Ksanthi. It is no propoganda.

I've personally been to Ksanthi several times and can assure you that the mosques are very well kept and literally beautiful buildings...
If you really believe the building presented in the pic, is a mosque.. What can I say, you obviously don't have the best of ideas for those that share (probably) your religious beliefs..
I can honestly tell you though, that if I was a Muslim from Ksanthi, I'd find such pics, pics that present a dump as the place where I pay my respects and practice my religion for propaganda puposes, highly offensive..
Do a simple google for 'Ksanthi mosque" and you'll see all those beautiful buildings in which they really practice their religion in..
he number of Greeks left there isn't more than the number of Turks left in Crete and Rhodes after the population exchange. And of course in Midilli, the home of Cemal Pasha, one of the three leaders of CUP.

In order for us to be able to communicate, you have to use the correct names of the areas or at least those used in the signed treaties..
I honestly have no idea where "Midilli" is..

Comparing the situation of the islands of Imvros and Tenedos to any other area is totally incorrect, not to mention re-writes history and the Treaty of Lausanne..

-------------------------
" ARTICLE 14.

The islands of Imbros and Tenedos, remaining under Turkish sovereignty, shall enjoy a special administrative organisation composed of local elements and furnishing every guarantee for the native non-Moslem population in so far as concerns local administration and the protection of persons and property. The maintenance of order will be assured therein by a police force recruited from amongst the local population by the local administration above provided for and placed under its orders.

The agreements which have been, or may be, concluded between Greece and Turkey relating to the exchange of the Greek and Turkish populations will not be applied to the inhabitants of the islands of Imbros and Tenedos.

Source:
http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/1918p/lausanne.html"
-------------------------------

Never heard of that before.

You did manage to find a Human Rights article about Hellas, why was this so difficult .. anyway..

------------------------
They expropriated the best properties, without compensation, in order to deprive the residents of their means of survival.
Greeks who traveled abroad were not allowed to return and their property was confiscated.
They forbade the teaching of the Greek language.
Imvros was converted into a prison without walls for convicted Turkish felons who terrorized the Greek residents.
Using such dreadful measures, the Turks managed to bring decay to the way of life of the Greek inhabitants and they thought that they would enjoy the fruits of their crimes in perpetuity.

Source:
http://www.unitedhumanrights.org/Turkish.php
-----------------------------

Wasn't she the Armenian writer who claimed ...........

...... but a small research would help.

What should I say about your juging a source by nationality and strictly on that.. while I find it extremely hard not to, I won't use the 'R' word..

Note that not only was she a highly respected Prof. at Barnard Uni. but her book was called one of the 100 most notable books of 1972 by the New York Times and 'Book of the Year' by London's Sunday Times and which was recently re-published and "The Unremembered Genocide" which appeared in Genocide and Human Rights: A Global Anthology (1981).
I sure that any scholar of her undoubtable value is entitled to be judged on something more than just her nationality..

Since you mention research, didn't 'Tall Armenian Tale' (since they conveniently use Prentiss as an argument) inform its readers that Mark Prentiss has been recorded saying :
"
"Many of us personally saw-and are ready to affirm the statement-Turkish soldiers often directed by officers throwing petroleum in the streets and houses."

And that he is just one of several that were recorded to conveniently change their original recorded statements.. for example, Major Davis admits being ordered to change his statement and later say that he never saw Turkish soldiers pouring petrol on houses..

By the way, also connected to research....
 The numbers mention in Horton's book are far different to what you present.. I do expect a quote in support of your claims since Horton estimated that the deaths were over 100.000..
That is why Venizelos paid compensation to Turkey in 1923 for the horrific atrocities committed against the Turkish civilians in western Turkey.

Firstly, there is no such term as 'horrific attrocities' in the Lausanne Treaty.. The exact terminology is :

----------------------
The Greek Government undertakes to pay to the nationals of the other contracting Powers and to Turkish companies in which, on the 1st June, 1921, the interests of the latter were preponderant, in a proportion corresponding to those interests, the sums which are due to them for the repayment of the value of goods requisitioned or seized by the Greek armies or administrative authorities, the sums due for services rendered to those armies and authorities which have not already been paid, as well as those due as compensation for other losses and damage suffered after the 1st June, 1921, by the said nationals and companies, resulting from the acts of the Greek armies or administrative authorities, other than loss and damage due to acts of war in the zone of active military operations. "

Source:
www.stradigma.com
--------------------------

Finally, who ever told you that there was a compensation paid ???
There wasn't a single cent given ever...

It is well know, that Hellas didn't have the economic ability to cover for the payments, Turkey didn't presure for the amount to be paid (the patern, no payment - nobel peace prize is evident) and in addition England, France and the US having acomplished the terms they wanted.. see OIL in Mozouli (no idea what you call it now) and Cyprus, abandoned their right of compensation and so did Turkey under their pressure.
The only thing that could be considered as a 'payment' is the exchange of Turkey dropping all compensation rights for  Karaagac..

Edited by Isokrates
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 05:57

This topic is in fact converted to "Greek - turkish relations between 1912-1922". Actually this is very interesting for me!

I think, that when somebody claims/asserds: "I really know what is happened somewhere", is good to show some map of that event (if the event can be mapped, of course).

I am interrested in the events of The War between Greece and Turkey in 1919-1922 year. For the greek people this war is "The War for the liberating of Mikra Asia", but for the turkish people this war is " The Great War for the liberating of Turkey". I found some maps of this war in internet, and i will show them here:

This is one simplified general map of this war:

In dawn left corner of this map are shown the numbers of the transferred people after the war.

Map of the battle of Dumlupinar - 26 august 1922:

This was the crucial battle in that war

This is one turkish webpage with maps of this war: http://w3.gazi.edu.tr/~ertan/NUTUK/NUTUK20.htm

And this is one greek website with maps and explanations for this war: http://www.fhw.gr/chronos/13/en/general/maps/

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 30-Dec-2009 at 06:48
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:50

you obviously don't have the best of ideas for those that share (probably) your religious beliefs

I do, but this is not funny since I am not kind of the extreme nationalists who like to put porn photos on religious shrines, but some Greek fanatics are. Assimilation policies of Greece are still in progress.

"The governments refusal to accept the minoritys Turkish identity has ranged from banning civic organizations bearing the adjective Turkish in their titles to prosecuting individuals who publicly identified the minority as Turkish.Greek courts have outlawed the use of the word "Turkish" to describe the Turkish minority. In November 1987, the Greek High Court affirmed a 1986 decision by the Court of Appeals of Thrace in which the Union of Turkish Teachers of Western Thrace and the Union of Turkish Youth of Komotini were dissolved. The court held that the word "Turkish" referred to citizens of Turkey and could not be used to describe citizens of Greece, and that the use of the word "Turkish" to describe Greek Muslims endangered public order. More recently, in August 1996, Mr. Rasim Hid, a teacher at a minority primary school, was transferred by the state-appointed secretary general of the region from the city of Xanthi to a mountain region of Rodopi for using the term Turkish school in a teachers meeting. In June 1997, twelve ethnic Turkish teachers were given a suspended sentence of eight months, pending appeal, because they signed a union document that included the term, Turkish Teachers of Western Thrace.They had been indicted under Articles 188 (participating in an association the aims of which are contrary to criminal provisions) and 192 (inciting citizens to commit acts of violence upon each other) of the Greek Penal Code."

Source: http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/greece/

This is not the whole issue now. The selection of "muftis" and the religious rights of Turks are still not respected.

The original article, different from the one in the website called "stradigma" in your reply where you presented it as a source, it says:

Article 38:

All inhabitants...shall be entitled to free exercise, whether in public or private, of any creed, religion or belief, the observance of which shall not be incompatible with public order and good morals. Article 40 further outlines the right of the Muslim minority to exercise their religion: In particular, they shall have an equal right to establish, manage and control at their own expense, any charitable, religious and social institutions, any schools and other establishments for instruction and education, with the right to use their own language and to exercise their own religion freely therein.

In the Treaty of Athens of November 1913, it was allowed muftis to be elected by the Muslim population. Greek Law No. 2345 of 1920, which regulated matters pertaining to the mufti and the vakiflar (private charitable foundations), did so as well. Under Article 6 of Law No. 2345, the muftis were to be elected by the Muslim population after a list of candidates had been approved by both the head mufti, the Ministry of Religious Affairs, and the governor general and/or prefect of the region.

Source: -Human Rights Watch-

But today, the muftis are picked by the Greek government. I wonder what would happen if the patrick of Fener was appointed by Turkey. We also shouldn't forget about the happennings of 1988-89. If you do a little research about the violations of fundemental human rights of ethnic Turks in Western Thrace, you'll find lots of more photos of attacked mosques instead of beautiful grass and clouds of love.

no idea where "Midilli" is

It is understood how much you know about your country. Anyway, it is called the island of "Lesbos".

They expropriated the best properties, without compensation, in order to deprive the residents of their means of survival.
Greeks who traveled abroad were not allowed to return and their property was confiscated.

A hard claim, and a hard resource though. From a website which sells "Turkish denial T-sirts"...

What should I say about your juging a source by nationality and strictly on that

Well, if you dared to quote the rest of the statement, you would easily understand that I said the Armenian writer who claimed about 2 million Armenians suffering from a so called Armenian Genocide when the total Ottoman Armenian population was about 1,290,000. But anyway, fine way of distort my original point.

Firstly, there is no such term as 'horrific attrocities' in the Lausanne Treaty..

It shouldn't write the same statement in the treaty to make people realize that burning a couple of towns as a whole is a horrific thing, causing horrifing attrocities.

And the former Greek president of the time, Venizelos apoligized about these attrocities, so no need for further discussions.

Edited by Bashibozuk
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 14:43
Concerning the "Turkish" identity of Thracian muslims,just because they speak Turkish does not make them Turks.They are muslims of different origin.So why to acknowledge sth that it is not valid?They even have their representatives in the Hellenic parliament.They are free Hellen citizens,they can speak their language and they can use Turkish in their stores freely.So,their situation is more than good.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 15:19
I do, but this is not funny since I am not kind of the extreme nationalists who like to put porn photos on religious shrines, but some Greek fanatics are. Assimilation policies of Greece are still in progress.

Nationalist.. big word from someone that presents a barn or a abandoned warehouse as a mosque..
Porn ????
Is that what they tell you in T.A.T ???
Safe Sex is the title of a movie, that became a TV series. Its actually pure comedy.. also presented in some festival in Melbourne.. google for it

But the very fact that the barn has a bulletin-board specifically put up for posters PROVES that you're just another victim of the vicious propaganda released by several sites..

Didn't you stop and think just for a min' what the hell is a bulletin-board doing on the wall of a mosque ????
Nationalism obviously blinds some of us...
The original article, different from the one in the website called "stradigma" in your reply where you presented it as a source, it says/QUOTE]
You got things all mixed up, the link I gave is related to the 'compensation and not to the rights..
But today, the muftis are picked by the Greek government. I wonder what would happen if the patrick of Fener was appointed by Turkey.

Appointed by the Turkish goverment, why exactly ??
Does the Patriarch preform any civil service, like judge for example. The mufti of Thrace is also a civil servant, while the Patriarch is purely religious.

Besides, there are many accounts throughout history of muftis being appointed. example :

In Cyprus the British with the Ottomans appointed the mufti,  in Jerusalem Haj Mohammed Effendi Amin el-Husseiniwas appointed by Sir Herbert Samuel  , the government appointed mufti of Syria Ahmad Kuftaro, in Egypt  Shaykh Muhammad Nasr Farid appointed by the goverment with the well known Satanist scandal..... etc

To top it all off, I recall reading that Ibn Nabidin recognized the right of Christian states to appoint the mufti the cadi and the governor..

Besides, the history of the minority in Thrace, allows the Hellinic goverment to be sceptical and cautious about who does what. Let me just remind you that the pogrom of 55' began by the activities of members of the minority in Thrace..

It is understood how much you know about your country. Anyway, it is called the island of "Lesbos"

How much I know...
OK, as you wish..
I never knew that I'm supposed to know what every area of my country is called in each language, what name anyone applies other than the original. Anyway, the correct spelling is or as seen in Latin font Mytilene.. by the way, is just the capital and not the whole island..
A hard claim, and a hard resource though. From a website which sells "Turkish denial T-sirts"..

Seems like someone needs to look into his history again
From  a French travel guide

Le gouvernement trouva plusieurs méthodes pour se débarrasser des orthodoxes de lîle. La première fut dinstaller une prison ouverte où les prisonniers pouvaient se balader librement la journée et violenter la population des villages.

http://www.istanbulguide.net/

[QUOTE]
It shouldn't write the same statement in the treaty to make people realize that burning a couple of towns as a whole is a horrific thing, causing horrifing attrocities.

The point wasn't to use the exact terminology, but that you are exagerrating. When I said there is no such term I wanted to point that untill now all we have is your word against official documents that mention no such thing..

As for Venizelos, that clearly shows the difference in the man.
Kemal and the Turkish goverment in general have been recorded to have preformed 'horrific attrocities' (to use your own terms) yet not only never apologize but deny them to have ever happened. While they continue to pour hatred in the minds of the Turkish youth by errecting monuments such as those in Afyonkarahisar..
While the other asked for an apology for whatever had taken place.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 16:30

Exactly which is the 'Turkish' city named Iskene found in the lands of Hellas, unless you're talking about some other area (like Marocco) which would make your post off topic since the topic is about Makedonia.. 

but anyway, since I do enjoy these discussions

Iskece is certainly a Turkish city since it was established by the Turks and even today its majority is of Turkish origin. My town in Bulgaria, Kurjali has managed to preserve its turkish name despite some attempts during communism to rename it to Krumovgrad or something similar

In fact there is even a Turkish Union of Iskece:
http://www.iskeceturkbirligi.com/

Why are you trying to play dumb now? Arent greeks refering to Istanbul by Constantinople?

As we know most of the Balkan cities had different names in different languages:
Examples are:

BG                              TR                              GR
Tsarigrad               Istanbul                     Konstantinopol
Plovdiv                    Filibe                           Philipopolis
Solun                        Selanik                     Thesaloniki
Odrin                        Edirne      & ;nbs p;        &nbs p;&nbs p;      Adrianople

After the invasion of Macedonia many of the original Bulagarian villages were renamed. Here is a link with examples of bulgaroslavic names in Macedonia forcefully grekified:

http://www.geocities.com/maknames/index.html

Edited by bg_turk
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 16:37
Some more images from the era:

The Greek army advancing against the Turks or in more colorful language
(Greek hords descending upon Macedonia

Non-combatant Bulgarians slaughtered at Kilkis (1913, 3000 civilians murdered)

Edited by bg_turk
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 16:45
A bulgarian soldier pleading for his life:

Here you can  find well documented and referenced (from the Carnegie Report) eye witness accounts of the autrocities comitted by the greek army.

http://www.maknews.com/html/articles/stefov/stefov64.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>