Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bowl Domestic Violence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Bowl Domestic Violence
    Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 15:30

Front line workers in womens shelters report that the Super Bowl is the worst day for domestic violence in America. Is this true or just an urban myth?

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 19:49
Originally posted by DukeC

Front line workers in womens shelters report that the Super Bowl is the worst day for domestic violence in America. Is this true or just an urban myth?

Where did you come up with that information?

I would think wives would be beating up their husbands on Super Bowl Sunday.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 20:39
It started with a Public Service Announcement about domestic violence aired before the Super Bowl in 1993 and has been a controversy ever since(although apparently not that big of one, going by the lack of response). 

Edited by DukeC
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 14:10

This comes up almost every year at this time, someone [with to much free time] eventually did a study on this and found that violence, and crime in general actually goes down during the super bowl.

I wonder if that includes violence against televisions 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 14:14
Depends on who is losing.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 14:29
if i have to watch this boring* event , my vionlence has to come out, of course, doesn't matter who would  be close to me then. 

* only exception , if another starlet will show it's bare chest. oh my god ,who will be it this year ,bruce springsteen ?

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 15:15
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Depends on who is losing.

There is actually a true story I heard that is pretty crazy. Some guy went to his boss's house for the Superbowl one year. They were drinking, snorting coke, and having a good time. The boss had a lot of money riding on the game and in the fourth quarter, his team was literally being blown out. He went in the kitchen and started arguing with his wife over something, and then shot her.

But its not as crazy as the incident during the World Cup where some guy shot his wife just for changing the channel.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 22:38
Yeah it heard it does get pretty violent in the States. I heard this story that there was this huge riot in the stands in one Superbowl over what jersey they were wearing.

edit - Go steelers!

Edited by Jay.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 23:25

Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

if i have to watch this boring* event , my vionlence has to come out, of course, doesn't matter who would  be close to me then. 

* only exception , if another starlet will show it's bare chest. oh my god ,who will be it this year ,bruce springsteen ?

I think it's Mick and the Stones, god help us if he has a wardrobe malfunction. 

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 00:10
Originally posted by DukeC

I think it's Mick and the Stones, god help us if he has a wardrobe malfunction. 

Janet Jackson has nicer boobs than Mick. 

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 14:26

-says the man from Iceland.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
 Post Reply Post Reply