Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim groupings - Clarification please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim groupings - Clarification please?
    Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 07:50

The current thread on whether non-Muslims can enter mosques has brought up disagreement among Malikis, Shafe'is, Hannibalis and Hanafis, and for all I know others.

Could someone please explain what these groups are, and indeed what other major different groupings there are within Islam? I know about the origin of the difference between Sunni and Shiah, and I know something about Sufism, but that's as far as it goes.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 09:16

Its a very long and complicated topic. To be honest i dont fully understand all the types my self. So here goes a summerised version of Islam's branches.

Ofcourse the majority of people know the main two: Sunni (Orthodox) and Shia.

Then many Sunni Muslim's try to follow the Sunnah (example) of the Prophet PBUH by the agreeing to a certain extent to the understanding of four main Imams:

-Hanafi

-Shafii

-Hanbali

-Maliki

The diffrence's are very minor between them four. Often the diffrences are all accepted as being 'Sahih' or correct. Since there are examples of the Prophet PBUH having diffrences. An example of this can be when the Prophet PBUH was praying the Salat, having his arms crossed at chest length (Shafi style) upon getting tired he lowerd his crossed arm to his stomach (Hanafi style) upon feeling more tired he simply put his hands to his (PBUH) side. Thus all methods are correct.

The Shia sect also has many diffrent sub-divisions, although i do not know of many. Except for perhaps the 'Alevi' of which the English translation i think is 'Alewite', there are the Ismaili's and i belive the majority are called the 'Itna Ashariya' or the Twelvers, simply because of their belief in the 12 Imams.

There are modern day divisions such as the Salafi's and the Wahabi's. They are often described as more hardliners. Bin Laden and many of his followers are from these school of thought. Although i must stress that i do not in anyway implying that this school of though teachs such extreme methods of Jihad.

On the whole the majority of Muslim nations are practice the Sunnah (Sunni) Islam. Only two countries are virtually completely Shi'a and these are Iran and Azerbaijan.

It is wrong to blindfully follow any Imam since as Imam Shafi has said " If you find a mistake from my teaching replace it with a more correct method"

I hope i have been helpful. I my self am more inclined to the Hanafi school of thought ( as is the majority of Turkey, TRNC, Pakistan etc), so i will know more about this area.

Regards,

OSMANLI

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 10:20
Well, I am a Hanafi Sunni Muslim Elhamdulillah. The differences between those brunch are related to a few religiously permissible foods and minor variation of the rituals, such as burial ceremony etc. 
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by gcle2003

The current thread on whether non-Muslims can enter mosques has brought up disagreement among Malikis, Shafe'is, Hannibalis and Hanafis, and for all I know others.

Could someone please explain what these groups are, and indeed what other major different groupings there are within Islam? I know about the origin of the difference between Sunni and Shiah, and I know something about Sufism, but that's as far as it goes.

the four groups me and Mira were talking about were the Sunnie Schools of Math'hab (Sectors).

they dont have much differences and they fully agree on the main principles of Sunnie Branch of islam.

Shafie reffered to people following Imam Al Shafei's way

Hanafi reffered to people following Imam Abu Haneefah.

Maliki refferet to people follwoing Imam Ibn Malik.

Hannibalis refferet to people following Imam Ibn Hannibal.

as i said the differences are small such as the "entering mosques"

there are no Major differences between them and Many sunnies dont know if they belong to which sector.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 12:43

Originally posted by azimuth

there are no Major differences between them and Many sunnies dont know if they belong to which sector.

in Malaysia.. shafie..

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 14:03
Salaamz,

Osmanli covered it all, masha'Allah.

I just would like to add that there's a hadith, considered by most to be weak, but I think it's quite relevant; "Differences in my Ummah are a mercy."

I'd like to add one more thing to Osmanli's post regarding the sub-divisions within the Shia sect.  The majority of Shia, as far as I know, are Ja'afaris, or Ithna Ashari (Twelvers), or Imamiyah as they are more widely known.  Other branches of Shiism includes, Zaydis, Ismailis (Nizaris and Musta'liyah), Druze and Alevites (Nusairis), Qadiyani, Ahmedis, Mu'tazila. 

I'm not sure about this, but I think I read that other "popular" Shia sects include the Saba'iya, Tawabun, Kaisaniya and Mughiriya.  I'm 95% sure about the information I'm sharing, but I could be wrong .. My memory's kinda rusty these days.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 14:04
I don't really understand what the differences are
either. I was told growing up I'm a Sunni Muslim with
Hanafi and Sufi heritage and roots.

Most people I've talked about Islam with have, after
I've given my impression on a few things, all said,
"Pfft...Ismaeli you are!" So, whatever that means.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 14:07

Maybe you are bektashi?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 14:08

lol mila ismaelis are shia

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 15:30
 The majority of shia are Imamiyah,and check your sources Mira cause you inserted many wrong sectors with shia like Qadiyani, Ahmedis, Mu'tazila and Saba'iya.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 01:33
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

The majority of shia are Imamiyah,and check your sources Mira cause you inserted many wrong sectors with shia like Qadiyani, Ahmedis, Mu'tazila and Saba'iya.

You're right, Ahmed.  I do need to check back on my information.  I did say I could be wrong.  From what I remember (and again, I could be wrong), these sects are believed to have branched out of Shiism?  If you know anything about their origins, please share.  If not, then I'll just dig up the answers from books and share them.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 02:24
Originally posted by Mortaza

Maybe you are bektashi?

bektashis are in albania i'd say bosna is predominately hanafi w/ sufi roots here and there - like turkiye
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 05:29
Thanks everybody. I'll continue to watch  the thread.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 06:29

The Ahmadiyya 'Qadiani'

Mirza Ghulam , the founder of the Ahmadiyya movement in Qadian, India,He also claimed that he is Son of god, and according to sayings of one of his friends, God once requested Mirza Qadyani to have sexual relations. He claimed that he once was Marry, he became pregnent, and gave birth to himself as "Jesus". Some of his members consider him to be a prophet.

Due to this, and other reasons, the unanimous consensus of Muslim scholars (both Sunni and Shia) vehemently denounces Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and his followers as being outside the fold of Islam.

they were decleared non-muslims in 1973 in pakistan.

Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 06:42

Mu'tazili

The name Mu'tazili meanning "to leave",Mu'tazili  originated  in al-Basrah when Wasil ibn Ata left the teaching lessons of al-Hasan al-Basri after a theological dispute; thus he and his followers were labelled Mu'tazili.

I won't be very long in this topic,Their belief based on the theory which said "The Qur'an could not be eternal,but created by Allah",It became the official doctrine in abbasid court during the era between Al-Ma'mon to the dath of Al-Wathiq.

Khalid Bin Walid
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 07:04
Ill be watching this thread aswell , coz i only roughly know the divisions.

I hear that there are differenses between turkish alawe and syrian alawe, does anyone know the spefics here

@Mira,
 i didnt think the Druze were considred muslim.

@Ahmed The Fighter,
 the
Mu'tazili is what ive been looking for, i heard about it a not long ago  and asked here once before with no answer. They belive the Koran sits within time, you got any links that can help me?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 07:43

The Ahmadiyya 'Qadiani'

Mirza Ghulam , the founder of the Ahmadiyya movement in Qadian, India,He also claimed that he is Son of god, and according to sayings of one of his friends, God once requested Mirza Qadyani to have sexual relations. He claimed that he once was Marry, he became pregnent, and gave birth to himself as "Jesus". Some of his members consider him to be a prophet.

Due to this, and other reasons, the unanimous consensus of Muslim scholars (both Sunni and Shia) vehemently denounces Mirza Ghulam Ahmad and his followers as being outside the fold of Islam.

But there's certainly a branch at least pf the Ahmadiyya movement that denies Mirza Ghulam Ahmad ever claimed to be even a prophet, let alone the son of God.

http://www.muslim.org/noclaim/intro.htm

How much of what you wrote is in fact just anti-Ahmadiyya propaganda?

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 08:22

Originally posted by Mila

I don't really understand what the differences are
either. I was told growing up I'm a Sunni Muslim with
Hanafi and Sufi heritage and roots.

Most people I've talked about Islam with have, after
I've given my impression on a few things, all said,
"Pfft...Ismaeli you are!" So, whatever that means.

You could impossible be ismaili, they are shii.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 08:23

Well i was shia asna ja'fari

Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 08:46
Originally posted by gcle2003

The Ahmadiyya 'Qadiani'

But there's certainly a branch at least pf the Ahmadiyya movement that denies Mirza Ghulam Ahmad ever claimed to be even a prophet, let alone the son of God.

http://www.muslim.org/noclaim/intro.htm

How much of what you wrote is in fact just anti-Ahmadiyya propaganda?

Nothing Dude,my sources are neutral,that is what they beleive,I wrote some of his members not all,therefore what you said above is right .
Khalid Bin Walid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>