Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Notable Battles of Medieval Hungarians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Notable Battles of Medieval Hungarians
    Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 02:44
Originally posted by antisocrates

I have heard, from Hungarians only, repeatedly that the Mongols suffered so much losses that they hesitated to continue.  I'm very skeptical about this claim, because no major historian that I know have substantiated this, nor have my Chinese acquaintances unearthed anything close to this in Mongol-Chinese primary sources.
The Mongols had great losses, but the connection between the losses and the retreat is only an assumption. In my opinion this might have been one of the causes.

Edited by Raider - 06-Jul-2006 at 02:45
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 05:38

double post

Edited by Chilbudios - 06-Jul-2006 at 05:38
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 05:38
Originally posted by Raider

Well, I used more than one references (Engel, Krist, Plosfalvi, Winkler), plus Bonfini and the Thurczy chronicle. As you might find out all of them contained a different reconstruction. I tried to write an own version what I thought the most likely. (I do not really trust Bonfini's account.)
A large part of Hungarian historiography is inaccessible to me due to language, I know bits as they are quoted in other works. For instance, one article on this battle which was published in Corviniana (Acta Musei Corviniensis, i.e. the publication of the museum of Hunedoara/Hunyadi Castle), refers and quotes the accounts of Joszef Teleki, Fraknoi Vilmos, Elekes Lajos (old and perhaps obsolete) and from the contemporary sources quotes Bonfini and Chalcocondil.
Between Bonfini and Thuroczy I can't say I find Thuroczy also way too reliable (let's note that the two accounts have some points in common), nor other contemporary chronicle, so there aren't really much better choices. Thing is to repaint the correct flow of events from these chronicles.

Much information is redundant between sources and historians as they often quote each other.

Edited by Chilbudios - 06-Jul-2006 at 05:41
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 06:23
As far as I know the biographies written by Camil Muresanu and Elemr Mlyusz are considered authority about Hunyadi's life. Later Pl Engel wrote an essay about his early career.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 07:11

"I have heard, from Hungarians only, repeatedly that the Mongols suffered so much losses that they hesitated to continue.  I'm very skeptical about this claim, because no major historian that I know have substantiated this, nor have my Chinese acquaintances unearthed anything close to this in Mongol-Chinese primary sources."

You are certianly right to be skeptical the mongols did not retreat due to losses. Yes the losses were high but the reaon they withdrew was becuase the khagan mongke had suddenly died, some say he was poisoned, and thus the army had to return home.
                The mongols were very close to victory, they could have continued on into europe but they had to return and choose thier next leader. Meanwhile political rivalries and infighting amongst various nobles reulted in a irreprable split and as a result various khanates were established and they never quite worked toghether. Thus the golden age of thier empeire was over.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 08:05
Originally posted by vonminx

"I have heard, from Hungarians only, repeatedly that the Mongols suffered so much losses that they hesitated to continue.  I'm very skeptical about this claim, because no major historian that I know have substantiated this, nor have my Chinese acquaintances unearthed anything close to this in Mongol-Chinese primary sources."

You are certianly right to be skeptical the mongols did not retreat due to losses. Yes the losses were high but the reaon they withdrew was becuase the khagan mongke had suddenly died, some say he was poisoned, and thus the army had to return home.
                The mongols were very close to victory, they could have continued on into europe but they had to return and choose thier next leader. Meanwhile political rivalries and infighting amongst various nobles reulted in a irreprable split and as a result various khanates were established and they never quite worked toghether. Thus the golden age of thier empeire was over.
It was Ogodei who died. Personally I am convinced that not his death was the cause of the withdrawal, might be one of them, but not a decisive cause.
antisocrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote antisocrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 18:23

It was Ogodei who died. Personally I am convinced that not his death was the cause of the withdrawal, might be one of them, but not a decisive cause.

If it were a factor at all, I'd say it's so low as to be trivial.

I've seen any Hungarians "proud" of this "feat", but really, in the overall scheme of things, it was nothing.  Battlefield losses meant very little to the Mongols during this period, who could always replenish their ranks with auxillaries.  Nor were heavy casualties all that uncommon.  I'm sure those who're Chinese-literate can tell you, but 30%, even 40-50% casualty rate was acceptable and not all that uncommon in the Chinese campaigns.

Really, I think Kagan is a great military historian, as are some others whose names I can't recall that this moment, but they should read some Chinese historiagraphy on the subject before rashly pronouncing their verdict on the Mongols based on what were only a reconnaissance mission and a small-scale probing mission.  They'd be surprised just how resourceful and logistically advanced the Mongols were, or how ferocious, tenacious and technologically ingenious the Chinese were in their doomed defence.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 02:30

If it were a factor at all, I'd say it's so low as to be trivial.

I've seen any Hungarians "proud" of this "feat", but really, in the overall scheme of things, it was nothing.  Battlefield losses meant very little to the Mongols during this period, who could always replenish their ranks with auxillaries.  Nor were heavy casualties all that uncommon.  I'm sure those who're Chinese-literate can tell you, but 30%, even 40-50% casualty rate was acceptable and not all that uncommon in the Chinese campaigns.

Really, I think Kagan is a great military historian, as are some others whose names I can't recall that this moment, but they should read some Chinese historiagraphy on the subject before rashly pronouncing their verdict on the Mongols based on what were only a reconnaissance mission and a small-scale probing mission.  They'd be surprised just how resourceful and logistically advanced the Mongols were, or how ferocious, tenacious and technologically ingenious the Chinese were in their doomed defence.
Possible causes of the withdrawal:

1. Ogodei's death
2. high losses
3. The Mongols were unable to control all of the kingdom, several fortresses remained in Hungarian hands, the king survived. (lack of siege weaponry)
4. chance of an anti-mongol crusade
5. lack of sufficient pastures
6. usual Mongol strategy: first wave plunder, second wave pacify
7. or the Mongols never wanted to occupy Hungary, it was a retaliatory campaign.

Edited by Raider - 07-Jul-2006 at 02:31
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 22:48
Batu sent three tuman (half his army)back to mongolia after Ogodeis death, whyelse would he not stay in Hungary !!

Can we have a detailed anaylsis of Hungarian battle with invading Cumans. 1081?  king Laudlisas

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 02:50
Originally posted by BigL

Batu sent three tuman (half his army)back to mongolia after Ogodeis death, whyelse would he not stay in Hungary !!

Can we have a detailed anaylsis of Hungarian battle with invading Cumans. 1081?  king Laudlisas

1. Batu sent three tuman back to Mongolia after the death of Jesus. Do you think there was a connection? Wink

2. It's the battle of Kerls in 1068. There is a description of the battle in the Chronicon Pictum, but it seems that this based on an old song of minstrels.

Brief description:
The Cumans attacked the country, breached the Transylvanian gyep and plunder the country. They even reached the city of Bihar. Meanwhile the king Solomon and his cousins, the princes (Gza and Ladislaus)amassed their army and cut in the retreating Cumans and waited them near Doboka.

The Cuman chieftain Osul withdrew his troops to the top of the arduous Kerls hill and began shooting to the Hungarians with bows. The Hungarians attacked simultaneously from different directions. King Solomon chose the roughest side of the hill, while duke Gza attacked from the other side. The Cumans were crushed, and the hero of the day become prince Ladislaus who fought very valiantly. His duel with the kidnapper Cuman warrior become an allegory of the struggle between light and darkness.

Coat of arms of Nitra region in Slovakia:
Coat of arms of Nyitra county in historical Hungary:

Edited by Raider - 26-Jul-2006 at 03:29
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 14:25
this is greatly interesting because the guys on the coat of arms look like Cossacks, but even more interesting is the fact that Osul sounds intriguingly similar to the Cossack rank equal to captain, Esaul.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 21:12
How come Hungary was able to repel so easily such a steppe attack while earlier avar magyar hun etc not?
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 03:15
Well, Hungary was a strong well estabilished state.

The Hun Empire collapsed inside while the decaying avar power was crushed by the double pressure of Charlemagne and the bulgars.

Moreover these Petcheneg, Cuman etc. attackes were not attempts of conquest, but plundering campaigns. (When the Mongols arrived many Hungarian lords beleived that their attack is also a similar attack, and they did not do any special arrangements.)

Even in the time of the Anjous there were incursions of steppe peoples. (There is a myth how St. Ladislaus returned to lead the Hungarian army against the Tartars.) These attackes stopped when Louis the Great crossed the Carpathians and crushed them once and for all.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 19:23
The Hungarians were similar in culture and ethnicity to Cumans?why would they want to kill them
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 05:35

The Hungarians were similar in culture and ethnicity to Cumans?why would they want to kill them
Not really. When the Cuman appeared in the horizon of Hungarian politics, the Hungarians settled down, convert to christianity etc. Why would Italian city states make war? Why did the English and the French fight? It is war, politics not culture. 
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 05:06
I thought there may be an attempt to recruit them as cavalrymen.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 02:49

I thought there may be an attempt to recruit them as cavalrymen.
After they arrived to Hungary they were obligated to military service for the king. I know no exmaples of the usage of Cuman mercenaries.

Although king Gza II entrusted the traveller Abu-Hamid al-Garnati to recruit him some steppe mercenaries.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 18:13
[/QUOTE]
The Mongols had great losses, but the connection between the losses and the retreat is only an assumption. In my opinion this might have been one of the causes.
[/QUOTE]

Any sources ?
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 05:39

Any sources ?

I gave sources before about the overall number of the invading Mongol armies and about their casulties in the battle of Mohi. They surely have some losses in other minor clashes.

Edited by Raider - 10-Aug-2006 at 05:41
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 15:13
but the Mongols didn't withdraw. after Mohi they continued their advance on Vienna, headed south into the Balkans, ravaging everythign in their way. that doesn't sound like a defeated army. and really, the gedais death argument is 100% water-proof. gedai ordered the participation of all oldest sons of his brothers to participate in the western campaign, and it is necessary that all members of the golden family attend the election of the new khan at the kuriltai. it would me unimaginable if all oldest grandsons of Temujin would not attend to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>