Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mausoleum of CK in Ordos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mausoleum of CK in Ordos
    Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 00:05
Chono, who is the best authority of CK and Mongol history,
mentioned that this place only stands for Chinese propaganda. This view is also shared by many western
historians.
However, many inner mongolians and a good number of outermongolians still maks pilgrimages to this site.
I was told that former professor Rinchen of O.Mongolia's
history department at Ulan Bataar University, visited this site when it opened in 1955, and mentioned about the sanctity of the place, and many outer mongolians still make pilgrimages to this place.
Could Chono or someone explain to me why this is so?

Clive
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 05:39
As far as I know, nobody in MGL really cares about that mausoleum in Inner Mongolia. People actually visit the place of his birth in Henti.
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 07:09
The place itself was a holy place where in eight white gers they used to keep the nine white banners of CK. All chingisids made regular pilgrimages to the site and used to do some rituals of theirs. But after Ligden khan's throne was taken by the manchus the site was largely abandoned, but there still used to be something going on there, sometimes in secrecy, until during the cultural revolution they killed most worshippers and vandalized reliques. And later the chinese had the vulgarity of building some ugly looking structure on that sacred place and expect people to regard it as the same old thing. No banners, no sacredness. Mongolians visit the site out of curiosity to take a look at that monstrous accomplishment.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 00:17
Chono,
I want to keep you and other up to date about this shrine in the ordos. Recently , there are big constructions going on
there. A business group in Inner mongolia invested more than
$50million to expand and even build several museums around the new complex. I know that in china people don't just spend money for nothing, my father in law told me last year
that every year there is a big crowd of mongols from inner and outer mongolia congregating there, and several govt and
education dignitaries and professors from the republic
of mongolia have had visited the site in recent years
especially after the collapse of the USSR.
If this is just a showcase of hullaballoo PRC propaganda
, and if all the important relics have been destroyed or
lost and replaced by fake ones, why is there a big pilgrimage of people from the republic of mongolia to this site yearly? It would make totally no sense to visit a site which is totally plastic or fake? Do you agree?
By the way, thanks for your enlightenment on the 9 white gers, this is exactly what Professor Rinchen and the late
Owen Lattimore mentioned.
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 10:28
What big pilgrimage? I never heard of any "pilgrimage". Mongolians are busy making money instead of going on some pilgrimage. You'd do better job putting some numbers with their sources instead of quoting what your father supposedly said. As I said above, the site is now a kind of freak show that demonstrates the nature of Beijing's policies. I would encourage people from my country visit the place, it is symbolic, and anyone that cares about the issue ought to take a look, especially at those "darkhad", and contemplate.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2004 at 23:31
So it's a freak show now?  Wow...it's kind of sad that such a venerable place would turn into such a thing...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 23:49
Chono
I was there summer of 02, and there were many mongols from
the Republic of Mongolia visiting. Even professors from
the State university of Ulan Bataar and the ministry of science and education. Some old friends of mine from the MPR were there too.
Talking about making money, there was a big expansion going on there , the PRC is pouring in much money $20-50million
expanding the place, Chinese are one of the most practical people in this planet, they dont just put money on losing
propositions.

Clive
chonos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chonos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 14:41
To put it simply, the sacred place is kind of a mongolian version of "mecca" and now chinese are building there a "disneyland" just to make some $$$ and brainwash foreign tourists.
 Post Reply Post Reply