Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The recipe thread (serious attempt)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The recipe thread (serious attempt)
    Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 16:23
http://www.lonnys.nl/index.php?id=34&products_id=8

Thats the best i can do as that is literaly (brand and all) what i ate. Its chicken in a sweet kecap based sauce, but there is more to it than that.

Edited by Cywr - 16-Aug-2006 at 16:24
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 07:57
I chcked on the webpage u stated there... show tht the dish is a combination of sambal and sweet kecap.. and other part i dont understand at all.. ( what lang is that??!!!)

I chck the resipi.mesra.net (recipe in Malay) for Ayam Betawi .. no sweet kecap used... funny.. there's different way of style between malaysian and indonesian.. but it looks simple.. as far as i can see... seems like Ayam Kecap but mixed with sambal.. i will try to ask around from my friends who knw the recipe.. if i can find for u....
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 14:43
Yeah its Dutch Tongue
Just a description, but i had as a ready meal from Lonnys (you just steam it).

"Pieces of marrinaded cooked chicken in a herby/spicy saus of kecap and palm sugar.

A suprising chicken recipe from the times when the Indonesian capital Jakarta was still called Betawi. The refined use of sambal with sweet kecap and palm sugar - ingredients the Javanese kitchen (cusine) are not allowed to be without - makes Ayam Betawi one of the best of Lonny's selection."

Yes, it looks simple and i think its the simplicity plus refinement that made it that it was, somewhat hot and sweet. Good stuff, to bad Brits have underrated Indo/Malay food Cry
Arrrgh!!"
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 10:58
Well, here's my recipe

Falafel Pita Sandwiches

-Buy frozen falafels(I'm too lazy to say how to make them)
-Cook the falafels(read directions on box)
-Buy pita bread
-Put falafels in pita bread
-Put diced tomatoes in pita sandwich
-Put cucumbers in sandwich

Tahini Sauce(without any tahini)

Mix in a bowl...
-Plain Yogurt
-Sesame Seeds
-Olive oil
-minced garlic
-salt

Put the tahini sauce in the sandwich.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 12:04
what is falafel? originally from where?
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 12:25
Falafel originally came from the middle east. Here's the wikipedia article.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 21:08
CYWR.. I cant find the recipe u want.. Seems that noone knw here.. Cry
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 15:09
Cry
Oh well.

A question, if a recipe calls for x number of dried chillies, with the eventual aim of grinding them to a powder, what amount of preground chilli powder can i take to be an acceptable (albeit lazy) subtitute?
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 09:41
it's depend cywr.. cos even dried chilies have diff level of spiciness (is it a correct term? lol) here is a tip.. dried chilies.. it has 2 types.. from my observation..

1. crooked and very very not nice looking.. LOL
2. look so nice and smooth.. almost like plastic Dead

beware of the no 2. coz it's very spicy..
and some chilie powder is very spicy some are less... and depend on the amount of ur dish to serve...it's very very subjective.. the easiest way.. taste while u cook.. if it is not spicy enough add some more.. powder chilie.. the taste not so nice.. ahehehehe..

Edited by cahaya - 04-Sep-2006 at 09:43
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 13:47

I'm in the middle of making 18lbs of pork barbecue (Carolina style) for a picnic organised by the Kaiserslautern chapter of Democrats Abroad on Saturday, so i thought someone might like my sauce recipe.

So here goes (this is definitely hungry man food, not gourmet: it also has no pretence to be health food):

1 1/4 cups ketchup
2/3 cup salad oil
1 cup vinegar
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry mustard
3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 clove minced garlic
1 lemon sliced thin*
3 tablespoons butter
salt, pepper

* You may want to leave off the peel. I usually leave it in.

Mix it all up, bring it to the boil and let it simmer. Chee-yup (shred) your meat, put it in the pan with the sauce and keep on simmering, because barbecue Carolina-style is an minc.

Serve of course on hamburger buns or just on the plate if you're dieting (!)

Note: a cup is around 250 ml.

Edited by gcle2003 - 07-Sep-2006 at 13:48
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 00:33
is there anything, simple and non-American? Embarrassed (since I know all the American dishes

Edited by mamikon - 13-Sep-2006 at 00:34
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 07:29
I didn't bother to read the previous posts on the 5 pages and see if there were any but can anyone give me some "student recipes" and they must be fried or boiled, i lack other opportunities.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 10:35
! same problem as above Tongue
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 17:33
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

I didn't bother to read the previous posts on the 5 pages and see if there were any but can anyone give me some "student recipes" and they must be fried or boiled, i lack other opportunities.

LOLLOLLOL

Well I have one

Curry-Oregano Chicken..(Total Preparation&Cooking time: 10 minutes---"without going to and coming back from market time")

Buy half kilo chicken breast from the market...Then with a sharp knife, cut it into small pieces and locate it on the plate.Add more-than-enough amount of curry,oregano and salt on it...Then put it into microwave oven and wait for it to be cooked in just 5 minutes,just amazingWink

Enjoy!Bon apetit!

Edited by Kapikulu - 13-Sep-2006 at 17:34
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 13:14
I have one...

Buy a packet of pasta... spagheti or whtever u like...
by ready made pasta sauce any flavour u like... then.. up to u to put any kind of extra filling... maybe some shrimps... chicken... chop a little bit...
Just stir garlic and oil... add the pasta sauce.. then the chicken or shrimps..
maybe some dried parsely.. any supermarket have this thing ... easy to store.. even without fridge..

make sure the chicken/shrimps well cook... i assume u knw how to prepare the pasta... just read at the back of plastic wrapper... it does tell all u need to knw..

then mix these two things together... make sure it's still hot and then add some mozarella cheese... yummy yummy... ur meal is ready....

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 15:53
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

There is no such thing as 'student recipies', only lazy short sighted recipies.
Frankly as a student it makes sense to cook in bulk, either by several people pooling resources and cooking together (if your fortunate to be sharing accomodation with mature responsible students), or buy making a huge curry, eating a days worth, keeping a days worth in the fridge, and freezing the rest. You save money and time this way in the long run.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 15:55

Due to Ramadhan month.. i want to share some of my fav dishes with u guys...

Murtabak Recipe

450  g all-purpose flour 
20  g ghee 
250  ml warm water 
1  tablespoon warm water, approcimately,extra 
500  ml vegetable oil 
50  g ghee, extra 

*FILLING*

30  g ghee 
1  medium onion, finely chopped 
3  cloves garlic, crushed 
1/2  teaspoon sambal oelek 
1  tablespoon grated fresh ginger 
1 1/2  tablespoons mild curry powder 
1  tablespoon garam masala 
500  g ground lamb 
2  tablespoons chopped fresh coriander 
2  tablespoons chopped fresh mint 
3  eggs, lightly beaten 

How to make it
  1. Sigt flour into bowl, rub in ghee.
  2. Stir in water and enough extra water to form a soft dough.
  3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead for about 10 minutes or until very smooth and elastic.
  4. Divide dough into 12 portions, roll each portion into a ball.
  5. Place balls in a bowl and pour oil over balls, cover and stand for 1 hour.
  6. Spread a little of the oil over a smooth surface, press out drained dough ball until a very thin 24cm square.
  7. Place a 1/4 cup (60ml) of the filling in the centre of the square, spread filling to 10cm square.
  8. Fold in sides of dough to form a parcel: trim overlapping edges if too thick.
  9. Repeat with remaining dough balls and filling.
  10. Heat extra ghee in pan and cook parcels until well browned on both sides; drain on absorbent paper.
  11. Serve immediately.
  12. FILLING.
  13. Heat ghee in pan, add onion, garlic, sambal oelek and ginger, cook, stirring, until onion is soft.
  14. Stir in spices, stir until fragrant.
  15. Add mince and cook stirring until well browned, stir in herbs; cool.
  16. Stir in eggs.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 16:07
And... for refreshment... the famous cendol...

Cendol (Coconut Cream Dessert)

2 cups water
1/4 cup cooked moong dal
250 gram tapioca flour
1/4 teaspoon pandan essence)
1/4 teaspoon green color
225 gram palm sugar
2 cups coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
crushed ice -- as required

Bring the water to a boil. Add green color. Mix the cooked moong dal with tapioca flour and add to the boiling water. Mix well to a smooth dough and add the pandan essence. Knead well, roll out into a sheet and cut into strips. Cook the strips in boiling water and transfer them to cold water. Keep the cendol aside. Dissolve palm sugar in a cup of water and set aside. Mix coconut milk with salt.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 20:51
Cahaya, can't you just give us some nice stuff with easy-to-find ingrendients :)

They look delicious,they do, but how on the earth I can find moong dal, pandan essence and tapioca flour here  :D
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 14:12
Actually Kapikulu... in here.. u dont have to make cendol on ur own.. the green stuff u can see in the pic... so no need to worry about moong dal or pandan essence.. lol... in Ramadhan Market.. they will sell it in packet.. so u just grab one.. buy some coconut milk.. and coconut sugar.. hmm.. tht's it.. but in second thought.... u still have difficulty in finding these stuffs in ur place..lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>