Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurks in Bulgaria (Flame-War Warning)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turks in Bulgaria (Flame-War Warning)
    Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 17:35
merced00
nice arguments!    
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 17:45

digeeeeeeenisssss

where do u live in greece

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 14:35

Originally posted by merced12

chargemaster do u know turkish

Poorly, not good, but i have few friends - turks, and they help me if i have some problems with the larger turkish posts.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 14:45

After cleansing ethnic minorities within Turkey (although didnt totally succeed yet) the Turkish governement tries to create "Trojan horses" in other countries...

You are talking again nonsense, turkey didnot support this petition.

Turkey is not using them. Infact I am sure, some bulgarian turks dont like how turkey treat them.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 17:31

Just came accross an interesting source regarding the 1878 Russo-Turkish war which saw the creation of the Bulgarian state, a war in which several hundred thousand muslims civilians were massacred and many more ethnically cleansed.  

In his memoir Pictures from the Balkans John Foster Frase gives the following account of his visit to Shipka pass. On p.91 we read: 

At first the way was broad and easy. Then it narrowed, became rugged, and the horses were in lather. At places we dismounted and walked. There were rude paths through the woods, made in times of battle so that the troops might be moved beyond sight of the Turks on the heights. I rode over a knoll where were the Russian headquarters. I climbed a precipice where, with mighty labour, cannon had been perched to sweep the Pass.

All silent now in the drowse of glowing forenoon. The eye wandered beyond the dark, cypress-cloaked ravines. The world was an impressive panorama of tumbled hills. Distance was lost in the haze of heat.

Twenty-eight years ago the echoes were roused with thunderous cannonade. Russians to the north, Turks to the south, met on this mountain road. Terrible struggles took place in the hollows of the hills. Positions were lost and won and then lost again. The Russians, fearless of death, pushed their advantage; and the Turks, heedless of life, held their ground. One battle lasted for seven days. Then a fortnight of breathing time. On came the Turks again; they captured Mount Nicholas, the commanding position in the Pass. But they were mastered by the Russians, and with terrific slaughter fled to the southern ravines. There they waited till winter. The last great fight was in mist and blinding snowstorm. The Turks were outnumbered.

They struggled in desperation. It was useless. All that were left of them, 32,000 men, unconditionally surrendered. The Russians poured down the southern slopes to Shipka village.

There stands a bedizened, gorgeous, Russian-Greek church to commemorate the victory. The massive cupola, surmounted. by a cross, is of burnished gold. You can see the sun glitter on it from twenty miles away. But there is no record of the pillaging, the rapine and drunken orgies of the Rdssian troops when they laid hold of Shipka village.

An old man told me sad stories. "Ah!" said he, "the Turks did wrong things, but never anything so bad as the Russians." "But you are glad," said I, "that the Turk has been driven away, and that Bulgaria is now free?" "Not so very glad," he replied; "when the Turks were here taxes were light, and now they are heavy. Then we had a wider market for our goods; we had all Turkey. Now we are a separate country they try to keep out our goods. Bulgaria is a little country, and other countries tax our things. Perhaps it was best in the old days."

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 11:07

After cleansing ethnic minorities within Turkey (although didnt totally succeed yet) the Turkish governement tries to create "Trojan horses" in other countries...

When a Turkish minority ends up with being discriminated (in Greece and in Bulgaria for instance), it is called a "Trojan horse" by some extremists. So ethnic cleansing of Turks in Balkans sounds like an extermination of a wooden horse for you. But you should face the fact that Turkish existance in the Balkans is older than one millenium, and those Turks are as human as other minorities in other countries. I wonder why this sounds too offensive or hard to accept.

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 11:40
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

When a Turkish minority ends up with being discriminated (in Greece and in Bulgaria for instance), it is called a "Trojan horse" by some extremists. So ethnic cleansing of Turks in Balkans sounds like an extermination of a wooden horse for you. But you should face the fact that Turkish existance in the Balkans is older than one millenium, and those Turks are as human as other minorities in other countries. I wonder why this sounds too offensive or hard to accept.

Don't make propaganda,ok?
The rights of the muslim minority are respected here in Greece and these people are treated as fellow citizens,fellow citizens of the Hellenic democracy.Don't dare to say that they are discriminated
They are taught their languages,turkish and pomak along with the Greek language,they have the same rights as the other citizens and they are treated with great respect
Better look if the minority rights are respected in your country.120.000 Greeks of istanbul,Imvros and Tenedos have become today  3000....
Do you know what your government did on the island of Imvros and Tenedos in order to terrorise the greeks?They had built prisons on the islands and at the nights they let loose the convicts  in order to attack the Greek houses,which they later confiscated when the greek families left the place in a state of terror.Or should we mention the pogrom in September 1955 in  Istanbul?
And if you say that these happened at the past just look at the human rights report about your country and then come here to discuss.

Edited by RomiosArktos
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 12:27
RomiosArktos, don't heat up too much! We're on the Balkans, remember?!
There's probably not a single Balkan nation, no matter how new or small, which hasn't ever done something discriminating for a minority. And the bigger and older ones have usually gone even more than mere discrimination, including Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey. Discrimination in such an old and controversial region like the Balkans is simply unavoidable! There will always be discrimination against us from the other side and against the others from our side. So we should always keep that in mind when making accusations! Like in the Bible: "May the one, who has no sins, throw the first rock"! We all have sins, so if we start throwing rocks, we'll only kill each other!

And Bashibozuk (nice nickname btw - so savage and barbaric) - either you're mistaking, you don't know how long a millenium is or Turkish history is being tought in a typically Balkan way (with "decorations"). Let me explain you - one millenium is a period of 1000 years. So your statement that "Turkish existance in the Balkans is older than one millenium" only puts you in a quite uncomfortable situation...

Edited by NikeBG
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 03:36

When a Turkish minority ends up with being discriminated (in Greece and in Bulgaria for instance), it is called a "Trojan horse" by some extremists.

Extremist?
I dont call these people in total Trojan horse,of course! That was the point of view of the Kemalist quasi-democracy within Turkey,in its effort to create an one nation-state.
I have told that Turkish government is trying to manipulate these people and use them.

So ethnic cleansing of Turks in Balkans sounds like an extermination of a wooden horse for you. But you should face the fact that Turkish existance in the Balkans is older than one millenium, and those Turks are as human as other minorities in other countries. I wonder why this sounds too offensive or hard to accept.

Coincidence..
I was talking to a friend of mine -Irfan ,who is Muslim from Xanthi-yesterday,and the discussion drifted to the minority problems
He recognized the progress made in the past 30 years ,and the better attitude the government has towards the minority.
He was telling me about this too: He had to learn turkish in school,although he is a Pomak!! thats how greek government "exterminates" Turks from Thrace!
Also he got in the university by a special percentage ,which helps the minority to enter universities!!!!
I had once a muslim co-student in medical school(which is really hard to succed in Greece) who couldnt devide 1.3 to 2 !!!
Talking about extermination ,search for Greeks in Constantinoupolis,Imvros and Tenedos.
I will disapoint u ,but any comparison is ridiculous.

And... 2006-1000=1006.
In 1006...Basil II was fighting with Tzar Samuel in the Balcans,while the Byzantine Empire's borders were somewhere beyond lake Van
(Turks were on their way to middle East)

Edited by Digenis
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 07:31
Originally posted by Digenis

I dont call these people in total Trojan horse,of course!

Who are these people and who in your opinion is a "Troyan" horse?

That was the point of view of the Kemalist quasi-democracy within Turkey,in its effort to create an one nation-state.
I have told that Turkish government is trying to manipulate these people and use them.

We are discussing here specifically the faith of the Turkish minoirty in Bulgaria, if you wish to discuss Turkey and it is supposed quasi democracy will you please open a different thread.

I was talking to a friend of mine -Irfan ,who is Muslim from Xanthi-yesterday,and the discussion drifted to the minority problems
He recognized the progress made in the past 30 years ,and the better attitude the government has towards the minority.
He was telling me about this too: He had to learn turkish in school,although he is a Pomak!! thats how greek government "exterminates" Turks from Thrace!
Also he got in the university by a special percentage ,which helps the minority to enter universities!!!!
I had once a muslim co-student in medical school(which is really hard to succed in Greece) who couldnt devide 1.3 to 2 !!!

Interesting - Greece has often followed quite contradictory policies in WT. At first for fear of Bulgarian expansion into the area, and the increasingly warmer relationship between Venizelos and Ataturk, it tried to make a Turk every Muslim in the area. These days it has reversed its policies completely as the perceived threat is no longer from Bulgaria but Turkey, and has declared many of the Muslims to be of non-Turkish origin - Pomaks, Gypsies, etc...

Regarding your experience with your Muslim friend and colleague, id say interesting, but to your veiled point about the "generosity" of the Greek state which even accepts people who cannot divide 1.3/2, I would say a nice attempt, but statistic by international human rights organization paint a very different and a very grim picture. Discrimination and intolerance against Muslims (even those that consider themselves Greek) is rampant and widespread. Very rarely can you see a muslim in high position even in those territories that are predominantly muslim.

Take for an example the case of Gulbez Karahasan and her running for a municipality position and the fierce opposition by facist establishments such as new democracy party and the orthodox church. In Bulgaria this wouldnt even be a problem - turks nowadays are present almost in all levels of the governance, including the ruling coalition.

Now when I come to think about it I am glad I was born in Bulgaria, and not in Greece. In terms of tolerance and respect of minorities at least nowadays Bulgaria is light years ahead of Greece and Turkey, though there are still areas to work on.

About Gulben you can read more here (in Greek)

http://www.enet.gr/online/online_text/c=110,id=32389356,3817 8412

Edited by bg_turk
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 07:53

The rights of the muslim minority are respected here in Greece and these people are treated as fellow citizens,fellow citizens of the Hellenic democracy.Don't dare to say that they are discriminated

Yeah, whatever...

past just look at the human rights report about your country and then come here to discuss.

The same childish move again. It isn't an issue of which of us have a worse record, it is that you have a horrible one, as horrible as many countries you blame with so called crimes, even though Greece claims to be an ideal EU member today. Maybe things would be much more better if Turkey was accepted into European alliance in 1979, just after Greece which still couldn't justify her acceptence or prove herself deserving such a "favor".

nice nickname btw - so savage and barbaric

Why do you think so? "Bashibozuk" doesn't specially refer to an Ottoman military unit like Bulgarians may use today, it was also used for civilian/unorganized forces, who were so brave that they were called "out of mind", or bashi bozuk.

Let me explain you

You don't need to. Turks have existed in Balkans before Manzikert, including Oguz Turks, who were exactly from the same branch with Ottomans. And other Turkic people have also settled in Balkans before them, that's why you call yourself a "Bulgarian" today...

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 07:58

Why do you think so? "Bashibozuk" doesn't specially refer to an Ottoman military unit like Bulgarians may use today, it was also used for civilian/unorganized forces, who were so brave that they were called "out of mind", or bashi bozuk.

Because during the wars the worst autrocities on the Turkish side were comitted by the Bashibozuks.

Edited by bg_turk
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 12:44
Originally posted by bg_turk

Regarding your experience with your Muslim friend and colleague, id say interesting, but to your veiled point about the "generosity" of the Greek state which even accepts people who cannot divide 1.3/2, I would say a nice attempt, but statistic by international human rights organization paint a very different and a very grim picture. Discrimination and intolerance against Muslims (even those that consider themselves Greek) is rampant and widespread. Very rarely can you see a muslim in high position even in those territories that are predominantly muslim.

Take for an example the case of Gulbez Karahasan and her running for a municipality position and the fierce opposition by facist establishments such as new democracy party and the orthodox church. In Bulgaria this wouldnt even be a problem - turks nowadays are present almost in all levels of the governance, including the ruling coalition.

Now when I come to think about it I am glad I was born in Bulgaria, and not in Greece. In terms of tolerance and respect of minorities at least nowadays Bulgaria is light years ahead of Greece and Turkey, though there are still areas to work on.

Greece is by far the most enlightened democracy of the Balkans.
Persecutions of Muslim citizens have never happened in Greece since 1974,when democracy was restored.
Everything else about ''discrimination'' etc. are mere propaganda against Greece.
bg_turk,you should know that in a democracy every citizen is allowed to express freely his/her opinion.The fierce opposition that you are referring to has nothing to do with the official policy of the Greek state.These are just the opinions of some citizens.

The same childish move again. It isn't an issue of which of us have a worse record, it is that you have a horrible one, as horrible as many countries you blame with so called crimes, even though Greece claims to be an ideal EU member today. Maybe things would be much more better if Turkey was accepted into European alliance in 1979, just after Greece which still couldn't justify her acceptence or prove herself deserving such a "favor".

Bashibozuk,will you ever stop putting the phrase ''so called'' before every crime commited by Turks in history? the so called massacre of Chios,the so called crimes,the so called Armenian genocide etc....just stop it.It shows no respect.
The fact is that Turkey continues with the violation of fundamental human rights and  i am afraid that this will never change.Instead of becoming aware of the dark side of your nation and trying to become a real democracy you constantly deny everything.Denying everything leads nowhere.
Hellas is in position of criticizing the dark sides of her history but Turkey is not and as I see will never be.

Edited by RomiosArktos
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 13:15

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

Greece is by far the most enlightened democracy of the Balkans.

Greece is by far the most xenophobic^1 theocracy^2 in the Balkans maybe just yielding to Serbia.

1 Which other state in the Balkans doesn't allow muslims to build a mosque in the capital?

2 Which other state in the Balkans mentions Jesus Christ in its constitution?

I can give you many sources on the human right violations in Greece especially with regard to the Muslim minority there, but let us not change the topic.

Edited by bg_turk
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 13:23

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

Persecutions of Muslim citizens have never happened in Greece since 1974,when democracy was restored.

This is such a sweeping, such an absolutely wrong and utterly absurd statement, that i simly cannot resist to prove it wrong my giving a few examples of persecution against ethnically Turkish citizens of Greece AFTER 1974:

4. Two Turkish activists, the late Sadik Ahmet independent deputy of the Greek Parliament (between June 1989- November 1989 and April 1990-Sptember 1993)- and Ibrahim Serif (subsequently elected mufti of Komotini in 1990) were convicted on 25/1/1990, for causing and inciting citizens to commit acts of violence upon each other and disturbing the peace through disharmony among them (Article 192 of the Penal Code). In October 1989, while campaigning for parliament along with Ismail Molla who was subsequently elected deputy and thus had immunity from prosecution, they had distributed leaflets that spoke of Turks, Turkish Muslims, and the Turkish Muslim minority of Western Thrace. They were sentenced to 18 months in prison each, with an almost unprecedented adjoining court decision to deny the possibility of to buy out the sentence or be set free pending appeal. They were thus imprisoned from January to March 1990. On 30/3/1990, the Court of Appeals of Patras upheld the verdict, reduced the sentences to 15 months for Ahmet and 10 months for Serif, convertible into fines: they paid and walked free. On 15/2/1991, the Supreme Court rejected their appeal. The court ruled that, In this manner the appellants had deliberately attempted to describe as Turks the Greek Muslims of Southern Rodopi....moreover, they knew that there was no Turkish minority in Western Thrace.... Ahmet then applied to the European Commission of Human Rights, which declared his case partially admissible in 1994. In April 1995, the commission in its Article 31 report declared that Greece had violated Ahmets right of free expression under Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights and forwarded the case to the European Court of Human Rights. On November 15, 1996, however, the court dismissed the case because Ahmet had not exhausted domestic legal remedies (i.e. had not argued that his case was a violation of freedom of expression before the Greek courts).
5. In the 17 November 1989 issue of Guven, Sadik Ahmet published an article alleging discrimination against and repression of the minority, which he called Turkish. The prosecution engaged against him was held up because of his parliamentary immunity between April 1990 and September 1993. He was indicted for causing and inciting citizens to commit acts of violence upon each other and disturbing the peace through disharmony among them. On 14 April 1994, charges were dropped because they were prescribed by a 1993 amnesty law for crimes perpetrated by the press.
6. On 22 November 1989, Sadik Ahmet distributed a tract alleging discrimination against and repression of the minority which he called Turkish. The prosecution engaged against him was held up because of his parliamentary immunity between April 1990 and September 1993: he was indicted for causing and inciting citizens to commit acts of violence upon each other and disturbing the peace through disharmony among them. On 14 April 1994, charges were dropped because they were prescribed by a 1993 amnesty law for crimes perpetrated by the press.
7. Between 1996-1998, Mr. Rashim Hid, a teacher at a minority primary school, was the object of a punitive transfer decision of the state-appointed secretary general of the region from the city of Xanthi to a mountain region of Rodopi for using the term Turkish school in a teachers meeting; an administrative investigation was launched at the same time. In July 1998, after its conclusion, he was suspended for one year.
8. The Union of Turkish Teachers of Western Thrace (founded in 1936) was dissolved in November 1987 after the Supreme Court decision 1729/1987 affirmed the relevant Court of Appeals of Thrace decision 159/1986. The court held that the word "Turkish" referred to citizens of Turkey and could not be used to describe citizens of Greece, and that the use of the word "Turkish" to describe Greek Muslims endangered public order.
9. The Union of Turkish Youth of Komotini (founded in 1938) was dissolved in November 1987 after the Supreme Court decision 1730/1987 affirmed the relevant Court of Appeals of Thrace decision 160/1986. Again, the court held that the word "Turkish" referred to citizens of Turkey and could not be used to describe citizens of Greece, and that the use of the word "Turkish" to describe Greek Muslims endangered public order.
10. In June 1997, twelve ethnic Turkish teachers were given a suspended sentence of eight months, pending appeal, because they signed a union document that included the name of the dissolved Union of Turkish Teachers of Western Thrace. They had been indicted under Articles 188 (participating in an association the aims of which are contrary to criminal provisions) and 192 (inciting citizens to commit acts of violence upon each other) of the Greek Penal Code.
11. On 23 April 1999, the Appeals Court of Thrace confirmed a 1986 First Instance Court verdict to dissolve the Turkish Union of Xanthi (founded in 1946) because it created confusion on () the citizenship of its members whether they are Muslims with Greek citizenship or Turks in nationality and citizenship () and that a Greek association serves the aims of a foreign state that is the prevalence of Turkish ideals.
12. Sotiris Bletsas, member of the Society for Aroumanian (Vlach) Culture, was indicted because in 1995 he had allegedly distributed a publication of the European Unions Bureau for Lesser Used Languages (in which Sotiris Bletsas is the Greek observer) which mentioned the minority languages in Greece. The prosecution for dissemination of false information (article 191 of the Penal Code) was triggered by charges pressed by ND deputy Eugene Haitidis and the prosecutions witnesses include the leadership of the Panhellenic Union of Vlach Associations. The case has not reached the courts yet.

And know you will say oh but look what Turkey has done to the Greeks, and is still doing to the Kurds, blah blah blah, but let us not change the topic PLEASE!

Edited by bg_turk
VARLAAM View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 16:07

I would say that is better for bg_turk

to read the Treaty of Lausanne july 24 1923.

ismet inonu was the lead negotiator for Turkey and Eleftherios Venizelos was his Greek counterpart. The treaty provided for the independence of the Republic of Turkey but also for the protection of the ethnic Greek minority in Turkey and the religious Muslim minority in Greece. Much of the Greek population of Turkey was exchanged with the Turkish population of Greece. The Greeks of Istanbul, Imbros and Tenedos were excluded (about 400,000 at that time), but so were the Muslim population of Western Thrace (about 25,000 at that time)(today is about 120,000). The republic of Turkey also accepted the loss of Cyprus to the British Empire. The fate of the province of Mosul was left to be determined through the League of Nations.

Since signing the treaty, both Turkey and Greece have claimed that the other has violated its provisions. Greece has seen its ethnic minority population in Turkey diminish from several hundreds of thousands in 1923 to just a couple of thousand today, and claims that this was caused by the systematic enforcement of anti-minority measures.

Nowhere in the Treaty of Lausanne says about Turkish minority.

We are so xenophobic in Hellas thats why they are living peacefully more than 1,000,000 emigrants(Albanians,Bulgarians,Romanians,Egyptians,Syrians,R ussians,Georgians,Pakistans,India,Palestinians,Moldavians,Uk ranians and others)  and the  religious muslim minority in WT from 25,000 became 120,000.

Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by VARLAAM

I would say that is better for bg_turk

to read the Treaty of Lausanne july 24 1923.

ismet inonu was the lead negotiator for Turkey and Eleftherios Venizelos was his Greek counterpart. The treaty provided for the independence of the Republic of Turkey but also for the protection of the ethnic Greek minority in Turkey and the religious Muslim minority in Greece. Much of the Greek population of Turkey was exchanged with the Turkish population of Greece. The Greeks of Istanbul, Imbros and Tenedos were excluded (about 400,000 at that time), but so were the Muslim population of Western Thrace (about 25,000 at that time)(today is about 120,000). The republic of Turkey also accepted the loss of Cyprus to the British Empire. The fate of the province of Mosul was left to be determined through the League of Nations.

Since signing the treaty, both Turkey and Greece have claimed that the other has violated its provisions. Greece has seen its ethnic minority population in Turkey diminish from several hundreds of thousands in 1923 to just a couple of thousand today, and claims that this was caused by the systematic enforcement of anti-minority measures.

Nowhere in the Treaty of Lausanne says about Turkish minority.

We are so xenophobic in Hellas thats why they are living peacefully more than 1,000,000 emigrants(Albanians,Bulgarians,Romanians,Egyptians,Syrians,R ussians,Georgians,Pakistans,India,Palestinians,Moldavians,Uk ranians and others)  and the  religious muslim minority in WT from 25,000 became 120,000.

oh my where should i begin to sort out your inferior lies and misinformation

First Lausanne Treaty doesnt not talk about ethnic greeks either it talks about GREEK ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS aka Rums (Romaoi) in Turkish.

Secondly 

Western Thrace (about 25,000 at that time)

READ from http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/greece/Greec991-04.htm

Convention Concerning the Exchange of Greek and Turkish Populations determined the Turkish population of Thrace to be 106,000. The 1928 Greek census put the number of Muslim Turkish speakers at 126,017, a figure that grew to 140,090 in the 1940 census.26 According to the 1951 census, there were 112,665 Turks, though many believe that decrease can be attributed to the fact that many Turks fled Greece, especially Thrace which was under Bulgarian control, during World War II, and did not return at wars end.27

and as a sidenote

more than 1,000,000 emigrants(Albanians,Bulgarians,Romanians,Egyptians,Syrians,R ussians,Georgians,Pakistans,India,Palestinians,Moldavians,Uk ranians and others)

Only a few  less then 50000 of immigriants are citizens of greece so they are not a polital problem where as western thracian turks.

and i would actually want to add this that 46638 turks lost their citizen ship beause of greek law of citizenchip 19. N 33370/55 until 1998

for greeks

http://www.xronos.gr/view.cgi?newsid1116388800,50598,

for turks:

http://www.batitrakyalilar.com/dev/det_haber.asp?id=1120

Greek are the masters of diplomacy therefore they can do their dirty work without making noise so nobody can be aware of their actions. Two facedness thats what greek politicians are doing. They are saying that there is only muslim miniority in western thrace then they talk about Pomak and gypsy minority but not of others TURKS.

If they were sincere on this issue they would let PEOPLE TO VOTE for to choose their own muftis but no ,greece APPOINTS them, why? what happened to lausanne treaty when the issue comes to choosing muftis? does Turkey appoint Greek Orthodox Patriarch? They appoints muftis so that they can control miniority under their control. Also using the name Turk is banned in greece so miniority cant open any civil organizations containing name TURK and 3 civil organization only closed because their name contains Turk. Truth is something and demagogy is other.

blah blah for greece

Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 18:54
Originally posted by Seljuk

does Turkey appoint Greek Orthodox Patriarch?

The patriarchy of Constantinople is ecumenical/universal,this means that it is the head of all the Greek orthodox churches of the whole world.It doesn't only have  to do with Greece.The orthodox church of Greece has its own archibishop.

They appoints muftis so that they can control miniority under their control. Also using the name Turk is banned in greece so miniority cant open any civil organizations containing name TURK and 3 civil organization only closed because their name contains Turk. Truth is something and demagogy is other.

These people are Greeks,they are not Turks.Using the term ''Turkish'' means that they are ciizens of the Turkish state,but they are not.So why should they use this term?
If they wanted to denote their ancestry they could just say that they are Greeks of (distant) turkish ancestry or pomak ancestry but not Turks/Turkish.
This thread is about the Bulgarian turks,so we are all off topic.
Turkey has done her even even dirtier job secretly in Imvros and Tenedos.
Btw Romios means Greek if you don't know this..

Edited by RomiosArktos
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 21:23

About Gulben you can read more here (in Greek)

http://www.enet.gr/online/online_text/c=110,id=32389356,3817 8412

1. Gulbeyaz Karahasan is not running for a municipality position; be more informed next time or ask if you don't know. There are several Mayors in Thrace who come from the Muslim Minority (as well as Members of Parliament and other levels of governanve).
2. Karahasan is running for "Governor" in the Perfectures of Drama-Kavala-Xanthi. You see, even if there is no Muslim Minority in Drama and Kavala, there was no problem for one of the two leading parties in Greece to choose a Muslim woman as their running candidate.
3. Karahasan is Pomak AFAIK
4. You can call the Orthodox Church a "fascist establishment" all you want; I don't care if you think like this. However, calling the New Democracy Party as such, constitutes an insult for the 3.36 millions of Greeks who voted for them in the last elections, millions other Greeks that did not vote for them (including me btw) and in general for the Greek State. Please, be more carefull next time.

Greece is by far the most xenophobic^1 theocracy^2 in the Balkans maybe just yielding to Serbia.

1 Which other state in the Balkans doesn't allow muslims to build a mosque in the capital?

2 Which other state in the Balkans mentions Jesus Christ in its constitution?

Xenophobic? Yeah, that's why we have 1 million economic immigrands in Greece. You are partly right though, but this is because of the rise  criminality do to immigrands and because many of them come to Greece illegaly.

Theocracy?

1. You are exaggerating as usual... A new mosque must be built in Athens and it will be.

2. Read Article 13 of the Greek Constitution.

EDIT: corrected the name of Gulbeyaz Karahasan.

Edited by Neoptolemos
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 22:18

Originally posted by Neoptolemos

(as well as Members of Parliament and other levels of governanve).

I know Ilhan Ahmet is in parliament, is there anybody else?

1. You are exaggerating as usual... A new mosque must be built in Athens and it will be.

I will take my words back when it does get built. You have a tough job pursuading the Orthodox Chruch that a mosque should be build under "the shadow of the Parthenon", I wish you all the good luck!

2. Read Article 13 of the Greek Constitution.

I read the preamble. 

In the name of the Holy and Consubstantial and Indivisible Trinity ... The prevailing religion in Greece is that of the Eastern Orthodox Church of Christ. The Orthodox Church of Greece acknowledging as its head Our Lord Jesus Christ is indissolubly united in doctrine with the Great Church of Constantinople and every other Church of Christ of the same doctrine. ... The text of the Holy Scriptures shall be maintained unaltered. The official translation thereof into any other linguistic form, without the sanction of the Autocephalous Church of Greece and the Great Church of Christ in Constantinople, is prohibited.

and then I looked at the Iraniqn constitution 

The Islamic Republic is a system based on belief in the One God (as stated in the phrase "There is no god except Allah"), His exclusive sovereignty and the right to legislate, and the necessity of submission to His commands;  Divine revelation and its fundamental role in setting forth the laws; ... 

The official religion of Iran is Islam and the Twelver Ja'fari school [in usual al-Din and fiqh], and this principle will remain eternally immutable.

One is christian the other muslim, but both sound theocratic to me

By the way the intention of this thread was not criticism of Greece, so please refrain from provocative Turkish-Greek mud throwing. I really do not want this thread to be closed for insulting greekness by Yiannis, so please discuss the outstanding turkish-greek issues in the neighbouring thread. But any contributions on the pomak and turkish minorities in Greece which are closely related to those in Bulgaria would of course be relevant and thus welcome.

Edited by bg_turk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>