Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CODEX CUMANCUS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CODEX CUMANCUS
    Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 10:34

Origin and Content

The Codex likely developed over time. Mercantile, political and religious leaders, particularly in Hungary, sought effective communication with the Cumans from the time of their ascendency in the mid-eleventh century CE. As Italian city-states such as Genoa began to establish trade posts and colonies along the Black Sea coastline, the need for tools to learn the Kipchak language sharply increased.

The earliest parts of the Codex are believed to have originated in the 1100's or 1200's. It was likely added to substantially over time. The copy preserved in Venice is believed to date from the early 1300's. The Codex consists of a number of independent works that were ultimately combined in one cover. Historians generally divide it into two distinct and independent parts. The first is a practical handbook of the Kipchak tongue, containing glossaries of words in vulgar Italo-Latin and translations into Persian and Kipchak. This section has been styled the "Italian Part" or the "Interpretor's Book" of the Codex. The second part is a collection of various religious texts (including a translation of the Lord's Prayer) and riddles in Kipchak and translated into Latin and Eastern Middle High German. This part of the Codex is referred to as the "German" or "Missionary's Book" and is believed to have been compiled by German Franciscans.

Whether the Persian parts came through Kipchak intermediaries or whether Persian was a lingua franca for Mediterranean trade well-known in Western Europe is a matter hotly debated by scholars.

Accuracy

The Codex is generally regarded as accurate, but it differs slightly from other sources on Kipchak language. For example, the Codex Paternoster reads:

"Atamiz kim kte sen. Algisli bolsun sening [ating, kelsin] xanliging bolsun sening tilemeging necik kim kkte alay yerde. Kndegi tmekimizni bizge bun bergil daxi yazuqlarimizni bizge bosatgil necik biz bosatirbiz bizge yaman etkenlerge" ("Our Father which art in heaven. Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us out sins as we forgive those who have done us evil")

The same text in the Hungarian Cumania document reads: "bezen attamaz kenze kikte, szenleszen szenadon, dsn szenkklon, nicziegen gerde ali kekte, bezen akomazne oknemezne ber bezge pitbtr kngon..."

Riddles

The "Cuman Riddles" (CC, 119-120; 143-148) are a crucial source for the study of early Turkic folklore. Andreas Tietze referred to them as "the earliest variants of riddle types that constitute a common heritage of the Turkic-speaking nations."

Among the riddles in the Codex are the following excerpts:

• Aq kmening avzu yoq. Ol yumurtqa

"The white- vaulted structure has no mouth (opening). That is the egg."

• Kecak ut(a)hi kegede semirrir. Ol huun.

"my bluish kid (tied) at the tethering rope, grows fat, The melon."

• Olturganim oba yer basqanim baqir canaq. Ol zengi.

"Where I sit is a hilly place.

it  is very interisting 

http://eurasia-research.com/erc/002cam.htm

www.unibuc.ro/eBooks/istorie/arhivistica/38codexI.html

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Jalair View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jalair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 20:00
There are Persian words in Codex, any idea how and when these words were borrowed?
Zarra
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 21:55
I'm suprised everytime when I see this. Cuman being a kypchak dialect(extinct) is far more understandable for Oghuz speakers than modern day Kazakh is
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 11:52
So that is a cool topic. I love the Codex, it's very interesting and helpful for every steppe enthusiastic readers.
Young Tatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Young Tatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 21:29
Tatar language is the modern form of Cuman-Kipchak Language.
"Independence and Freedom are my character."
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

-----------------------------
Crimean Tatar Independence Movement
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2008 at 10:22
Originally posted by xi_tujue

I'm suprised everytime when I see this. Cuman being a kypchak dialect(extinct) is far more understandable for Oghuz speakers than modern day Kazakh is

I agree it's nearly fully understandable for a modern Turkish speaker.

I have seen this 2 or 3 years ago since that I regard Cuman/Kipchaqs as a close cousin to Turkomans. I would love to see such a great linguistic heritage for Pechenegs as well.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2008 at 20:52
Originally posted by Young Tatar

Tatar language is the modern form of Cuman-Kipchak Language.

not quite modern crimean tatar is heavily influenced by ottomans Turkish
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
 Post Reply Post Reply