Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plz, explain this map?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plz, explain this map?
    Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 12:47
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 12:50
It looks like the mongol empire to me? what is there to explain?
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 12:52
The mongols never conquered India. This map doesn't make much sense. Where did you get it?
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 13:00

this map is from encarta encyclopedia, and this map has mistakes , i remember making a thread about "Encarta mistakes" i mentioned this map too.

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 15:41

did someone combine the mongol and mogol? et al

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 21:33

And there is another one. Wow, this is cool, all religion in a one empire.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:57
Mongols did  conquer India, but not much, as I recall there was still a considerable southern indian territory outside of the mongol Empire.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 03:31
I did some research and found out that the Mongols (Il-Khans, not Mughals) never had lasting control of any land in India east of the Indus river.  They did try hard, however, and made a series of unsuccesful raids into Sindh.  Most of Kashmir was tributary to the Mongols, I believe.

The map makers are most likely including later conquests by Mughals (who claimed to be descended from earlier Mongols).

Edited by Scytho-Sarmatian
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 08:46

And there is another one. I think House of Chaghatai Khan did conquer India.

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 09:47
^this map is absolutly ridiculous! if it were true i would have heard of it and i have never heard of all of south + south east asia being in control of the mongols!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:14
A much more correct map:

Main red outline is max. extension of Mongol Empire, outer red marks seem to indicate vassal states, shaded area is Timur Lenk's empire. India is out.

Source: Wikipedia.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:20
Some other +/- correct maps of the Mongol Empire I found in a quick search:

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 12:41
yea didnt a mongal khan built the tac maal for his wife or something ... i think his name was cihan or something like that
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 13:14

The Mongols didn't conquer India at all, although they did have vassals in the northermost tip of India. The Mongols lauched a few raids in incursions into India, as far as Delhi, but none were successful in permanent conquests.

I have seen maps like that in the Original Post, even in documentaries. But they are simply wrong.

Not even Tamerlane went that far into India.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 13:36
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

The Mongols didn't conquer India at all, although they did have vassals in the northermost tip of India. The Mongols lauched a few raids in incursions into India, as far as Delhi, but none were successful in permanent conquests.

I have seen maps like that in the Original Post, even in documentaries. But they are simply wrong.

Not even Tamerlane went that far into India.

But Mughal member of a Muslim dynasty of Mongol origin that ruled large parts of India from 1526 to 1857. See Encarta, pleeeeeeez

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 16:46
Yes, we all know about the Mughal Empire. However, the Mughal Empire was different from the Chingisid Empire.

I really hate it when people claim that "everything" originated from a single people.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 16:54

Originally posted by deniztc1983

yea didnt a mongal khan built the tac maal for his wife or something ... i think his name was cihan or something like that

He was a Mughal emperor who built the Taj Mahal as a tomb for his wife. His name was  Shah Jehan.

Please, you might want to research a bit before you post. The internet is a wonderful tool, you know.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 16:58
while we're on the topic, why didn't the Mongols ever conquer India? To my knowledge, until Tamerlane, they didn't even attempt to plunder it. An argument such the climate would work if it was question of an occuption, but what about raiding? After all, they attempted to conquer regions that were just as difficult in terms of climate, such as Vietnam.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 19:22
I actually don't know, but i reckon it's easier to move an army through a desert than to move the entire hoard over the himalayas, probably not even the reason, i just know that if i was chingis then i would rather travel west than south over mountains.

Edited by Anujkhamar
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 20:04
Well, the Yuan Dynasty had no buisness in India.

The Il-Khanate did raid India several times. However, none of them were sucessfully turned into conquests. One explanation is that in the early history of the Il-Khanate, they were occupied by a civil war with the Blue Horde (Later known as the Golden Horde), during which Hulegu lost most of his men trying to cross a frozen river (IIRC). Then, the Mameluks became more powerful and the Il-Khanate focused on its western border. The Il-Khanate was defeated by the Mameluks in 1281 at Homs. I believe that battle marked the last major foreign campaign for the Il-Khanate, although it started raiding nearby territories at around 1299.

Another reason is that the Il-Khans ruled from Mesopotamia, so the Mameluks were a much greater issue to them than India.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>