Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yemini Persians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yemini Persians
    Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 17:14

I would like to know more about Yemeni Persians.

Here is the story i heard:

The Yemeni kingdom at that time was fighting the Saudi kingdom. At this time, the Sassanid Empire controlled both sides of the Persian Gulf.  Yemen, not strong enough to defend itself against Saudi Arabia, asked Iran for help.  Iran sent a Persian army in to help the fighting.  Instead of obeying the Shah's commands, the general of the Persian army decided to defect and set up his own kingdom.  He defeated the Saudi's and the Yemeni's and set up a Persian dynasty in Yemen. And to this day, the Yemeni Arabs of Persian descent are called Farsi's.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 17:52

There was no such thing as Saudi Arabia at that time period the area that is called Saudi today was inhabited by a very small number of nomads and a few craven stop overs. Yemen was the only part of the peninsula that had real settlement so it was likely that it would have get attacked by their unsettled neighbors in need of food and money

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 17:56
It's not that way. First of all, Saudi Arabia didn't exist at all. Saudi Arabia is a 20th century creation.

The actual history, as described in Wikipedia is like this:

The Himyarites established their capital at Dhafar (now just a small village in the Ibb region) in the 5th century, and gradually absorbed the Sabaean kingdom. They traded from the port of al-Muza on the Red Sea. Dhu Nuwas, a Himyarite king, changed the state religion to Judaism in the beginning of the 6th century and began to massacre the Christians. Outraged, the Christian King of Axum with the encouragement of the Byzantine Emperor Justin I invaded and annexed Yemen. About forty years later, Yemen fell to Persia.

Persian period

The Persian King of Kings sent troops under the command of Wahriz, who helped the semi-legendary Saif ibn Di Yazan to drive the Abyssinians out of Yemen. Southern Arabia became a Persian dominion under a Yemenite vassal and thus came within the sphere of influence of the Sassanid Empire. Later another army was sent to Yemen, and in 597/8 Southern Arabia became a province of the Sassanid Empire under a Persian satrap. This development was a consequence of the expansionary policy persued by the Sassanian king Khosrau II Parviz (590-628), whose aim was to secure Persian border areas such as Yemen. Following the death of Khosrau II in 628, then the Persian governor in Southern Arabia, Badhan, converted to Islam and Yemen followed the new religion. (1).

Prior to the conquest of Yemen, Persia already hold domain over Eastern Arabia, Oman included.

The topic has also been touched in the topic Pre-Islamic Arabia.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 18:11
Originally posted by Miller

There was no such thing as Saudi Arabia at that time period the area that is called Saudi today was inhabited by a very small number of nomads and a few craven stop overs. Yemen was the only part of the peninsula that had real settlement so it was likely that it would have get attacked by their unsettled neighbors in need of food and money

well i know there wasnt a saudi, but i didnt know the name of the tribes so i said saudi arabia, for the general location.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 18:38
no they were harmless fragmented heathen nomads then.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 02:34

Yemen was under African rule before the Persian came,

Miller Northen part of Arabia was "real" settelment too.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 20:06
i thought yemen was an independent kingdom when the persian general took it?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 23:46
Originally posted by prsn41ife

i thought yemen was an independent kingdom when the persian general took it?

It was independent as the Himyarite kingdom. But then the last monarch, Tubba (Dhu Nuwas) converted to Judaism and started persecuting Christians, what caused the intervention of Axum (Ethiopia), with implicit support from the Eastern Roman Empire. Eventually the Persians, who were already in Oman, too it from the Ethiopians. The Persian placed then a vassal monarch there but a few decades later annexed it to direct Persian rule. After the death of Khosraw II, in 628 CE, the satrap Badhan converted to Islam and the country followed him.

You may be refering to the second Persian intervention that fully annexed the country to Sassanid Persia.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 20:50
im confused, so what was the actualy extent of the sassanid empire? maps only show it has having a think strip of land along the Persian Gulf.
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 21:00

Originally posted by prsn41ife

im confused, so what was the actualy extent of the sassanid empire? maps only show it has having a think strip of land along the Persian Gulf.

yeah maps are often inaccurate. and this partly b/c in those days empire were not drawn out to the T. Rather their were tribute-paying regions and general spheres of influence.

In the achaemenid era it clearly states that Arabia paid tribute to Dariush. Yet on all the maps I've seen they dont include northern Arabia as part of the Persian empire.

So likewise someone that was biased against the Sassanids decided on a technicality not to include yemen in those maps

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
 Post Reply Post Reply