Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mournful relics of the Mongol invasion found

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mournful relics of the Mongol invasion found
    Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 05:05

Mournful relics of the Tartar invasion was found at Cegld during the reconstruction of No. 4. Highway.

Archeologists found the remnants of a XIII. century village completely destroyed by the Mongol invaders. The devastation was so large that nobody remained to rebuild the village or to bury the dead.

The most touching event was the finding of the skeletons of a mother and her two children. According to the reconstruction of events due to the sudden attack they did not have time to escape, so they tried to hide in a large furnace. Their skeletons was found there. The 6 year old girl tightly nestled to her 8 year old brother, who held an iron carpenters calliper may be for defense. Archeologist also found a Bla IV. silver coin (presumably the whole assets of the family) with him. The mother also tried to slip into the furnace, her leg bones was found hanging out the furnace doors. Their efforts were futile. The tartar invaders fired the house and they suffocated by smoke. The body of the father wasnt there. The tools found in the house suggest that he was the carpenter of the village. He was likely slaughtered outside.

It is a rather rare archeological dicovery. Actually very few relics found about the tartar destruction, because people generally clear the ruins and bury the dead. In this case nobody dared to return and these sad evidences of destruction remained untouched till 2005.

Edited by Raider
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 06:21
That is quite amazing and sad at the same time.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 11:55
I guess all those fans and admirers of Genghis ought to see those bones. Like Nazis ought to visit Auschwitz
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote cebeci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 12:39
yep agree
history is just a repetation of itself
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 15:23
Where is Cegld? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Aurelian Ambrosianus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Aurelian Ambrosianus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 01:16
    For me, that is a most touching, most deeply rooted archaeological discovery. THis reminds us of the price that ordinary individuals have to pay for the exansion and subsequent rise of other powerful individuals or factions...
    The lives of these people become entangled and forever confused among the maelstrom of human conflict and conquest. Their numbers become a mere statistic in which future generations coldly extrapolate evidence for the cause of history. And yet the sad part is with all this experience of bloodshed and manslaughter evident and ingrained within our consciousness and  social memories, we refuse to learn the lessons that the past has tried in vain to teach us through the most abhorrent and violent examples. When will we ever learn....

There is no doubt, in fact, that the gods use certain men for the purpose of punishing the evil of others, turning them into slaughterers,before they, too, are destroyed
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 02:50

This reminded me of accounts of Genghis Khans conquest of Afghanistan.   The population of several major cities were put to the sword, even when they surrendered without resistance.  Women and children were not spared.  They even slaughtered the dogs!!!  The Mongols were even mindful of hiding survivors, so what they did was to hide out of site of the city, giving the survivors the false sense that they were gone, but when the survivors themselves came out into the open, they too were slaughtered. 

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 03:03
"Only the dead see the end of the war". Unfortunately mainly the ordinary people see it... 
Btw, where indeed is this Cegld? Hungary?
shurite7 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote shurite7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 18:06
How do they know this village was destroyed by the Mongols?  What evidence led to this conclusion?  It very well could have been destroyed by someone else such as the Cumans fleeing from the Mongols and destroying along with looting along the way. 
Esquire View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Esquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 19:30

Cegld is near the centre of Hungary.
It's just north of where Batu Khan's 3 armies converged.
Bla IV. - King of Hungary during Mongol/Tartar invasion. Lived to rebuild the country, the "Second Founder".

1222 Golden Bulla (constitution) - Estimated population of Hungary at this time  2 million
1241-42  Mongol/Tartar Invasion - Population after 1 year Mongols estimated  1.2 million

One half of all towns and villages burned and destroyed.
Record in a western cronicle : "Kingdom of Hungary after 2 centuries is no more."
The Great Khan died and Batu departed for election of new Khan ~ only thing that saved Hungary from the fate of Kiev!

Edited by Esquire
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 06:27
Originally posted by shurite7

How do they know this village was destroyed by the Mongols?  What evidence led to this conclusion?  It very well could have been destroyed by someone else such as the Cumans fleeing from the Mongols and destroying along with looting along the way. 
Unfortunately my reference do not answer your question, so I do not know.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 06:31
Originally posted by Esquire

Cegld is near the centre of Hungary.
It's just north of where Batu Khan's 3 armies converged.
Bla IV. - King of Hungary during Mongol/Tartar invasion. Lived to rebuild the country, the "Second Founder".

1222 Golden Bulla (constitution) - Estimated population of Hungary at this time  2 million
1241-42  Mongol/Tartar Invasion - Population after 1 year Mongols estimated  1.2 million

One half of all towns and villages burned and destroyed.
Record in a western cronicle : "Kingdom of Hungary after 2 centuries is no more."
The Great Khan died and Batu departed for election of new Khan ~ only thing that saved Hungary from the fate of Kiev!

In fact the exact population losses are unknown. It is usually estimated 15-25%. In the territories east to the Danube was the greatest devastation, but these area had a lower population density than Western Hungary.

By the way according to latest historical research not the death of the great khan was the cause (or the main cause) of the withdrawal, but the heavy losses and the lack of pasture.

Edited by Raider
Esquire View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Esquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 21:00

[/QUOTE] In fact the exact population losses are unknown. It is usually estimated 15-25%. In the territories east to the Danube was the greatest devastation, but these area had a lower population density than Western Hungary. [/QUOTE]

Agree. Exact data unknown in this age, plus witness fantastic European claims of "great multitudes" of  Mongol "hordes" of 100 -150,000 tatars.  Historians give from 1/4 to over 1/2 losses? (I chose Wiki - which is not most authoritative source). At same time a) burning of villages and food stores led to starvation of peasants b) winter was extremely harsh and cold - the Danube FROZE OVER and the Mongols crossed over the ice to finish-off western opposition!

[/QUOTE] By the way according to latest historical research not the death of the great khan was the cause (or the main cause) of the withdrawal, but the heavy losses and the lack of pasture. [/QUOTE]

Agreed again. One of causes, after all Batu, Subotai, Orda, Kaidu... bound by law to appear at election. Heavy losses sometimes given as cause of Batu's rage but "lack of pasture"? in the middle of the Great Plain? They could have withdrawn most of the army since 2-3 tmens would have been enough to control Hungary?

Ultimately the devastation of Poland and Hungary (and Mongol losses) all in vain. Served no purpose in the future scheme of things! The view of Genghis in Eastern Europe is same as of Attila by western Europe: only left death and destruction.

Edited by Esquire
Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 21:40

Before tartars, were magyars who wraught havoc in Europe; beofre them, were the huns. And so on . . .  and no one better in terms of mass kilings.  As a person that knows having some tartar ancestry, tough I'am considering me fully romanian, I have no problem in accepting what some tribal ancestors of mine have done bad; no, no wonder that some primitives, tribal, nomadic and herd-like clannish population, could produce nothing more than havoc, so, I believe that  the more evoluated populations that perpetrate mass killings in the name of an idea (god or simply an ideal) are more disgustingly than the poor nomads of Asia. The more recent history shows us pathetically that hundreds of thousend of armenians were butcherd by turks, hundreds of milions of people killed by islam in it's expansion, milions of jews killed by germans, other milions of people killed by russian communists, and millions of europeans and others killed by christianism for 2 000 yrs, not to mention the killings of poor tribal american indians . . .  and the list is by no means exhausted. To a nomad killer, as to an wild animal, should be offered moral absolution for kiling, but to the "civilized" ideologist or "God-guided", should we ever do the same????

Il n'y a que les imbciles et les huitres qui adhrent - Paul Valry
Esquire View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Esquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 00:36

I do not believe in your characterizations: "poor nomads of Asia"  "as to a wild animal"  "herd-like clannish population"...
They were influenced on all sides by great cultures and were no more wild nor herdlike than the poor serfs of Europe.

I do believe your claim "more recent history " "civilized" people prove no different! Seems the human race never learns.
With modern science and technology the civilized 20th Century is more bloody, more violent than any since the caveman.

There was more to the Mongol Empire than just havoc. In Central Europe they came, conquered...then just withdrew (?)
(Don't know about moral absolution.)

Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 13:47

Originally posted by Esquire

I do not believe in your characterizations: "poor nomads of Asia"  "as to a wild animal"  "herd-like clannish population"... They were influenced on all sides by great cultures and were no more wild nor herdlike than the poor serfs of Europe.

No, anthropologically, and from historical time periods point of view correlated with societal development, they are "primitives"; "tribal"; "prehistoric". The nomadism is carachterized by all that. As for your affirmation that "they were influenced on all sides by great cultures", that means nothing: all primitives, with some chance, get civilized. IN TIME.  And WITH  HELP.

I do believe your claim "more recent history " "civilized" people prove no different! Seems the human race never learns. With modern science and technology the civilized 20th Century is more bloody, more violent than any since the caveman.

Well . . . not very surpring, being canadian like me : there is a  trend in actual thinking that is trying to delete any sense of degree or proportion, and its final goal is to put the equal between cultural relativism and moral relativism. There are many victims of that trend . . . .

You should try analyse the facts before you put a label to a century: in our century (20, 21), did live and live people animated by the same old world vision as people in the first christian century . . . , but that is not what carachterize our times.

That we can kill more today, doesent mean that we are worse than our ancestors, it mean that we only have better means to do that and that we are arithmetically more than our ancestors. Som old-fashion guys, these morally "living fossils", seize quickly this "blessing" oportunity of modern means to devastate.  Ideologies like communism (the greatest killer in past century), fascism, or religions like christianism and islam, are the very culprit you hasten to find elsewhere . . . with this vague term "human race".

The people are very feebleminded: they love to love fanatically something: an illusory god, an utopic ideal like de brotherhood of men or economical equality, or the purity of a rase, or . . .  there is more bullsh*t than that! But we are no more the same people from nomadic periods, with tribal vision of honoour and justice, or with a bloody god-inspired morality.

Conclusion: I was speaking individualizing a category (or many) from our recent times; I did not speak of our times in whole, and not speaking of us as a whole. We are not the same primitives of the past. At least not in these more evoluated parts of the earth that some call civlized world". .

Edited by Boztorgay
Il n'y a que les imbciles et les huitres qui adhrent - Paul Valry
Esquire View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Esquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 19:58
OK... but now I'm not sure who's side you're on: the "primitives", the "civilized",  possibly the "moral"?
Please check, this news-info thread before you had no labels attached, no moral judgements only reflection of sympathy for the common folk of history.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 21:20
I read this and take it as a reminder that there really was a tragic human cost to the reign of the Mongols, irregardless of exactly who did what and why.  This was just one of countless villages which would lie in the path of any invading army in those days.  Be they Mongol, Magyar or Hun -- or any of the enemies of the country in which this village was founded -- the outcome is never really in doubt against the sort of ruthlessness that could be unleashed upon its helpless inhabitants.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 11:10
Is there a link to the original article for this ?
Was it in a newspaper ?
rgds.

Tom..
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 03:00

Originally posted by tadamson

Is there a link to the original article for this ?
Was it in a newspaper ?
I have found it in the net, but there is an article in a notable Hungarian historical periodical (Its name is Rubicon 1/2006.)

In Hungarian:

http://www.radio.hu/index.php?cikk_id=159130

http://www.mult-kor.hu/rubicon/cikk.php?id=1638&aktualis =1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>