Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XI.3 - Thank you for playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XI.3 - Thank you for playing
    Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 07:25

On Question 16 I put 'Oxiana' in my last update and the answer is given as 'Transoxiana'. Depends which books you're reading or maps you're looking at doesn't it?

Amazon is selling 'The Road to Oxiana' at http://tinyurl.com/d47v4 and there are plenty of other references around.

It's the same region.

Incidentally, congratulations on the piece of deception on the Gibbon question. I went running around in circles trying to find a writer on the British empire. I guess I should be less anglocentric

Edited by gcle2003
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 10:19
Fastpawn - I think Euphrates doesn't define a region since its a river. 

Boudicca's - Yes you're right again!. The response got lost in the pile...

Gcle - ok I'll give you that one, since it does fit the criteria. However, Oxiana and Transoxiana aren't the same region, as it seems (one's west of Oxus, the other is east)

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 10:35
Originally posted by Dawn

No No No  no more questions like 14 ..... please 

I`m sorry you didn`t like my question, Dawn I`ll try to make it easier next time. maybe...

Honestly, I`m surprised at how difficult people found that question. More comments after the end of the quiz. BTW, great job everyone.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 10:40
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Gcle - ok I'll give you that one, since it does fit the criteria. However, Oxiana and Transoxiana aren't the same region, as it seems (one's west of Oxus, the other is east)

Sorry for being the thorn in your side this quiz.   
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 11:04

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I won't quibble. I was under the impression it was rather like Gaul - Transoxiana and Cisoxiana and Oxiana covering both. I guess I was being too logical.

[/QUOTE]

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 16:21
Ok it's 4 PM. So that means that's the end of the Quiz. Stay tune for final scores to be posted later and in a few days, the awards. It looks like Dawn and Decebal won this Total Quiz.

14. Though considered a barbarian, the blood of emperors ran through his veins. A great warrior, his reign was part of the golden age of his country. He also founded a city named after himself which was for a while to become the capital of an even greater country than his own. Who is he? (Hint: Part of his name refers to a warrior fighting with no one by his side. His crown, still preserved today, is the subject of legends and has been used to support a controversial idea. The fact that he was a descendant of emperors must be taken literally.) (Submitted by Decebal)
  • Answer: Vladimir Monomakh (AD. 1053-1125), He was the son of a daughter of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine IX Monomachos, with Monomachos meaning "He who fights alone." Vladimir was the ruler of Rus and founder of the city of Vladimir, an important capital of Russia. His crown was said to have been given to him by the Emperor of Byzantium, a claim used to support Moscow as the Third Rome.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 16:50

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Shame on poirot.    Oh well, for some reason, I had the impression that the question has a non-European flavor, and I kept looking at descendents of African emperors - those of Mali and Ethiopia.

Although Goa does come close: The city of Goa was the capital of the Songhai Empire, but it is named after Goa, a Mansa(king of kings) of the Mali Empire.

Congratulatins Dawn and Decebal! 

Anyways, I vote for 14 as the best question on this total quiz.  

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:10
Thanks for starting the vote. To the rest, please vote for your favoirate question!

#14 was definately a tough one!
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:29

I go with #16. I just spent more time to search for it than the rest. At least i am happy, i finally learned now the etymology of most region names in Eurasia

#14 was easy for me to find as soon as i realized that the warrior fighting with no one by his side should be a reference to monomachos.

Congrats to the winners, each one who participated and finally to Imperator for the great job.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:36
The next quiz is going to be TQ XI4, correct?
AAAAAAAAAA

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:40
Right, the next quiz will be XI.4

However, after that, If i'm still running the quiz, I think we'll drop the parts system. So the subsequent quizzes will be XII, XIII, XIV, etc...

[quote]#14 was easy for me to find as soon as i realized that the warrior fighting with no one by his side should be a reference to monomachos.[/quote]

I guess knowing Greek really pays off!
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:45
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get a chance to win the average score for a TQ part prize, since I missed the XI Part 1.
AAAAAAAAAA

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 05:00
What's the final decision about Oxiana vs Transoxiana? I seem to have lost the point again
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 09:34

I wrote Alan John Percivale Taylor for question 7, who was also a British historian,who studied at Oxford and had been influenced by his visits to USSR, and who had written a book about the history of the Habsburg monarchy, and commended by Churchill...

He also was seemed like fit to the answer, but well, I haven't thought about Gibbon.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 16:30
Good quiz, it's always a pleasure. I like II idea to add some easy questions, so that nobody could be discouraged just for not being able to answer a single one. Once you find some anwers just out of the top of your head, you are encouraged to research to answer  the more dificult ones too.
In fact, when I was the TQ moderator (Eons ago) I seldom thought to do something like that, but actualy never did. Moreover, I agree with GLCE, I would never had thouht of the Roman empire about Q16 -- and I am not anglocentric at all!

• II please pay attention, on the head post, refering to anwers to questions, you wrote "round one" twice. The first should be "round two"
  • As to the origin and meaning of total quiz "parts", I think I invented them, and that's why: during the first quizzes, Q&As submitted were very much, a lot more than an acceptable number for just one quiz. Since I could not enclose all of them in a single issue, and everyone was asking me to include his/her question on that quiz . . . I invented the multi-part quiz . Once the Q&A database had been cleared, I asked people to send more questions, after which a new issue of the quiz (with a new number) would have been held.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 16:44
Thanks for the comments, Serge_L - glad to see you back again for the Total Quiz. Can you believe it, the TQ has gone through more than four years, since its initiation back in HG's forum in 2001. I guess the TQ is one of the greatest things AE inherited from Heavengames.

For some reason, I made a lot more errors in terms of scoring on this one than in the previous two. Partly, I think the increase in participation has made things a bit more confusing.

gcle, that was a glitch. sorry.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 22:37

A few more thoughts:

best Question: although 14 was the most difficult/cryptic I really did like the gibbons one(10?) It was devious in it's simplicity and has my vote.

I think it would be a shame to lost the multi part nature of the quizz it's one of those things  you don't have to win every part to win the over all you just have to playin as many as possible. If you choose to loose the part thing though you could go for a yearly winner or something like that.

I have an idea about the little problem of correcting the massive number of answers (because I think that it will only grow in the future because of your new set up) and  a way to addresss the time zone fairness issue but I have to put a little more thought into it.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 02:42
Since things are settling down, it's time for awards:

Moderator Awards

New Player Award
BoudiccasWrath
...for outstanding performance on the Total Quiz as a first-time player.

Question Writer Award
Decebal
...for his contribution of Question No. 14, "Barbarian descendent of Emperors," which displayed an excellent combination of intrigue, and challenge.

Total Quiz XI Awards

Winners of Total Quiz XI Part 3
Dawn
Decebal
...for scoring the highest in the Quiz

Honorable Mentions
Poirot
BoudiccasWrath
...for outstanding scores in the Quiz

Congratulations to all winners and partipicants
Thank you all for playing! It was a pleasure to serve as moderator for this quiz. I hope you'll return in April for part 4 of Total Quiz XI.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 18:39

"Winners of Total Quiz XI Part 3"
                Dawn
                 Decebal

Guess this proves that there is not much to do in Canada in the winter

Congrates Decebal you played great and write good questions too?

Congrates to everyone else that played and tHanks to Imperator Invictus for running the quiz again.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 22:38

Congratulations Dawn! I must admit that I was hoping to beat you this time. I came pretty close the other two times that I've played. Maybe it was just coincidence, but I felt like the quiz was easier this time (or I'm getting better at them?)... I really felt I had a shot.

Perhaps we should have a team contest and show everyone that Canada can be dominant at something else than hockey or curling

Anyway, congratulations to the other players as well, especially poirot with another strong showing and Boudiccas'wrath, who seems to have arrived as another contender. 

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>