Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Russians &Varangians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russians &Varangians
    Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 10:00

Hello,

Could you enlight me on the close relations of these both?

And were these Russians and Vikings(varangians) mixed during the house of Ryurik?

Also i have heard that Moravians were the first slavic country to have accepted christianity.i would be appreciating on having your info about them as well

Regards.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:59
From what I've read the first christian church in moravia was built in 828 ad so if that's the oldest you can find than that would be it. Although I do believe the Bulgarians adopted christianity before that.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 21:17
*Runs of to double check some facts so that he doesn't embarass himself.*

Bulgarians adopted Christianity in 864, well, Knias Boris did.  There already were Christians in the Kingdom, but the entire country was baptized shortly after the Knias was.  I'm not sure when the Moravians converted to Christianity though...
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 07:48
Now that was a broad question.
Vringr is a word of Swedish origin which might have meant 'sworn', and the word and its derivates was borrowed to mean 'Scandinavian' by the Slavs of Russia (to avoid any confusion, with 'Russia' I meant the modern day area that is Russia) and by the Greeks. Many Scandinavians travelled the Russian rivers as merchants or mercenaries to local princes or the Emperor himself, and also settled down. Obviously there were much mixing and the Northmen were eventually assimilated, as everywhere else where they settled but on Iceland. The ties between Russia and Scandinavia were close during several centuries, there were Swedes who ruled land under the Novgorodian prince in the 11th century, and several royal marriages occured. Eventually, when the Swedes stopped travelling the rivers in the latter part of the 11th century, the intermixing stopped and the former quite unreligious peoples had truly adopted the two different branches of Christianity, the good neighbours with time became archenemies (13/14th century).
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2004 at 19:03
From what I've read the first christian church in moravia was built in 828 ad

Hmmm, a christian church built in Moravia does not mean that the entire country had converted to Christianity.  Does anyone know an official date as proclaimed by the Moravian leaders or majority of the populace that they were Christian?

I know that before Boris, some Bulgarian rulers were known to practice Christianity, and others who persecuted Christians.  But it is obvious that if previous rulers were Christian, then they would have had churches or other places of worship for their Christian religion.  Not to mention the general populace.  Many Bulgarian lands were once Byzantine, and they contained Christian churches.  So you could say that there were Christian churches in Bulgaria since the late 7th century, or the early 8th century.
-William Shakespeare
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 11:03
Bulgaria was not a slavic country yet at that time...
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 16:59
Bulgaria was always a Slavic country .

The ruling class for the first half-century was pure Bulgar.  Then the Dulo family line ended, and Slavs were able to grab a bit of the power.

The Slavs had already migrated into the Balkans and penetrated as far down as Salonica, if not further, buy the time Asparuh formed the first Empire.

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply