Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

And the AK-47 goes to...Inela Nogic!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And the AK-47 goes to...Inela Nogic!
    Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 15:32
INELA NOGIC
M I S S  S A R A J E V O  U N D E R  S I E G E

"From my country, from this town I guess that they all have their way of fighting.
So not just the man with guns, but also women with their beauty."
- Inela Nogic

During the siege of Sarajevo, it was a constant struggle to maintain faith and hope. Allowing the Serbian nationalists to demoralize us was considered just as much a failure as any massacre, any atrocity.

Artists in the city organized plays, screened films, held poetry recitals, and constructed everything from small football courts to Italian pizzarias underground - away from the constant danger of mortar shells and sniper's bullets. It was all an attempt, as Alma Duran said, "to show those beasts that are killing us that life will triumph over death."

It was also an expression of intellectual superiorty against those primitive minds that were destroying one of God's greatest cities to achieve immoral and fascist objectives. When the Serbs spraypainted "This is Serbia!" on the side of the post office, someone in Sarajevo spraypainted the response, "This is a post office, you peasant."

One of the greatest symbols of this surreal resistence was the Miss Sarajevo Under Siege pageant. Girls wore combat uniforms and army boots, carried guns, and walked on stage with beautiful smiles before a crowd of Bosnians, United Nations officials, foreign media personnel, and Holiday Inn staff.

The winner that night was a young girl from the Dobrinja district of Sarajevo, nicknamed Little Hiroshima for the amount of destruction it bore on the front lines.

Inela Nogic accepted her crown (and AK-47) by explaining this was her way of fighting. She instantly became a legend.

After seeing a CNN interview with Inela Nogic in which she responded to the question, "What will you do with your year as Miss Sarajevo?" by saying, "I have no plans, I could be dead tomorrow." the band U2 took a song written about her, Miss Sarajevo, and made it famous around the world.

Is there a time for keeping a distance
A time to turn your eyes away
Is there a time for keeping your head down
For getting on with your day

Is there a time for kohl and lipstick
A time for cutting hair
Is there a time for high street shopping
To find the right dress to wear

Here she comes
Heads turn around
Here she comes
To take her crown