Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The ’Greatest Dutchman’

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who is IYO the greatest Dutchman of all times?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.85%]
7 [26.92%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [26.92%]
5 [19.23%]
2 [7.69%]
3 [11.54%]
1 [3.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The ’Greatest Dutchman’
    Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 17:33
The concept showed to be a great succes in Britain and Germany, so in Holland tv-makers decided to elect a greatest countryman too. Today 10 people have been nominated. Now people will be able to vote. After a few weeks the result will be known.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 17:41

I had no idea Anne Frank was Dutch... "holocaust victim" sounds rather weird, author would fit better imo.

btw, in Germany it wasn't much of a success, at first Austrians complained that Mozart was put in the list and complained "Germans stole Austrian hero" or something in their newspapers, this showed that it was already difficult to descide who is German at all, especially for guys that lived prior to 1871. other even proposed to inculde Hitler in the list. at the end the list comprised to 50% of livign Germans, mostly Celebs so it was completely nonsense after all.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 18:12

Oh yea 100% for the man with the "little beasties".

Anne Frank a great dutchman (er...woman). WTF!??! she was just a girl who kept a diary during a terrible time. It could've been anyone, it's just her story was the one that was told. I don't think that makes her great. Although, because she became famous I can tell people I'm related to someone who is famous.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 18:17
The strange thing is, Anne Frank wasn't even Dutch. She was German. She IIRC she fled for the nazis before WW2 started. Her diary is in Dutch however. Last week some people tried to give her the Dutch nationality poshumously, but that attempt failed. Because if Anne Frank would be given the Duth nationality, all Jews who lived in Holland during WW2 should be given it

Originally posted by Temujin

I had no idea Anne Frank was Dutch... "holocaust victim" sounds rather weird, author would fit better imo.

btw, in Germany it wasn't much of a success, at first Austrians complained that Mozart was put in the list and complained "Germans stole Austrian hero" or something in their newspapers, this showed that it was already difficult to descide who is German at all, especially for guys that lived prior to 1871. other even proposed to inculde Hitler in the list. at the end the list comprised to 50% of livign Germans, mostly Celebs so it was completely nonsense after all.

The main problem is, noone knows what 'greatest' means. Most important or best? If that question isn't solved you get winners like Adenauer in Germany. With all respects to Adenauer, but he is not the greatest, best or most important German in History.
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 21:59
Originally posted by JanusRook

Oh yea 100% for the man with the "little beasties".

Anne Frank a great dutchman (er...woman). WTF!??! she was just a girl who kept a diary during a terrible time. It could've been anyone, it's just her story was the one that was told. I don't think that makes her great. Although, because she became famous I can tell people I'm related to someone who is famous.

I totally agree. I don't hear anyone crying for Holocaust victim .

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 11:24

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

The main problem is, noone knows what 'greatest' means. Most important or best? If that question isn't solved you get winners like Adenauer in Germany. With all respects to Adenauer, but he is not the greatest, best or most important German in History.

yeah, he is even utter crap, I can't see why he's so poular amongst the older generation..I mean he did bribe people to vote for his hometown Bonn to become new captial instead of Frankfurt...  

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:27
From the list, Van Gogh, but its a poor selection IMHO.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:56
Van Gogh easily for me
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 14:18

From the list Erasmus.

From the Dutchmen who are not on the list Spinoza (spanish Jew from Amsterdam) and Grotius (Huigh de Groot).

I think they are greater than any painters or rulers.

But from painters i would pick Hieronymus Bosch, as my favourite.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 22:54

Wheres Dennis Bergkamp??? awesome soccer player

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 00:10

From the list Erasmus.

*slaps forehead*

Crap, I totally didn't read his name in the huge list of dutchmen.

I think if I'd have known better I would've chosen him <see my avatar>.

Oh well, I think Leeuwenhoek is still more important in the long run, with all of the scientific advances made by his invention. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 01:39
Originally posted by JanusRook

From the list Erasmus.

*slaps forehead*

Crap, I totally didn't read his name in the huge list of dutchmen.

I think if I'd have known better I would've chosen him <see my avatar>.

After a few day's you'll be able to vote again anyway.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 08:40

After a few day's you'll be able to vote again anyway.

I'm no old lady from florida, I actually stick with who I vote for.

Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 09:09
Don't worry Janus, I voted for Erasmus and now it's a tie.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 09:52
I would bet that you'd vote Erasmus ;-). I had a hunch!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:54

Don't worry Janus, I voted for Erasmus and now it's a tie.

Excellent, just so long as that van Gogh doesn't win I'll be happy.

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 21:11
Anthonie van Leeuwenhoek for me.  Science beats art, hands down.  Although he is not as well known, many discoveries stemmed from his finding the 'mini-animals' in water.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 09:10

Erasmus!

I looked at the top 200-11 on the internet, it was so horrible I could cry. Vondel, Multatuli, Reve, Hermans, Mulisch, all our great writers, ended below Johan Cruijff

Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2004 at 11:27
In the intermediate result Pim Fortuyn is on 1, Drees on 2 and Willem van Oranje on 3.

Conclusion: For Dutchmen history started 3 years ago
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2004 at 12:00
Pim is one?!
LOL
Poor Dutchies
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>