Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most powerful Meso American culture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most powerful Meso American culture?
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 16:28

Yeah,  200 million people seems to be a stretch

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 06:01

Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Any of you guys notice that all the countries that had great ancient civilizations are today relatively poor nations?

About 90% of all countries may be considered poor, so it quite logical that many countries that had great civilizations are.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 09:06

Hi!

I'll go for Teotihuacan. I remember a Nigel Davies book from years ago pointing more Teotihuacan architectual influence, trade goods, art and artifacts can be found around Mexico than any other culture. Also they most famous thing worldwide Mexico has ever produced is the Pyramid of the Sun.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:36
id have to say olmecs, just because they where the wellspring of maya & later aztec cultures..........
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 16:01

I like the Incan Empire, even though they don't count/

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 05:16
actually the incas and aztecs did have seaworthy ships, however the incas only sailed up and down the pacific coast of south america, (though there may be evidence of them reaching easter island sometime in the 1400's, as thor heyerdahl had predicted) and the aztecs, through client cultures, sailed in the caribbean and traded with the arawaks.
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 19:48
Did the Inca Empire and Aztec Empire ever come in contact?

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 00:44
No, but if they did the more unified, cohesive, and technologically superior Inca would have probably been the senior player.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 01:09

Originally posted by Christscrusader

Mesoamerican culture is pretty primative compared to even ancient empires such as the ancient greek, egyptian, assyrian, and chinese

Im guessing you dont know anythign about mesoamerican culture, most people that write off others as priitives usually do so out of ignorance.  No one had as accurate astronomy as the Mayans, or as flouishing architecture as the Aztecs, Mayans etc, whose buildings stand during earthquakes while the modern buildings collapse.  Over half the foos eaten in the worlds today by anyone around the world is likely to be from nativ american agriculture, and even the Un and US have strong native american influences in their governemnt structures.

-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 11:08
The Aztec empire included the current Mexican state of Veracruz on the Gulf of Mexico, but I never heard about Aztec commerce with the Caribbean islanders.

I remember reading someone who thought that when Columbus thought 'the great Khan' lived somewhere around Cuba, natives may have told him about Kukul Can. It sounds a little weird, but on the other hand Yucatan is not that far away from Cuba, so it may be possible that stories about Kukul Can reached Cuba.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 16:52

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

The Aztec empire included the current Mexican state of Veracruz on the Gulf of Mexico, but I never heard about Aztec commerce with the Caribbean islanders.

I remember reading someone who thought that when Columbus thought 'the great Khan' lived somewhere around Cuba, natives may have told him about Kukul Can. It sounds a little weird, but on the other hand Yucatan is not that far away from Cuba, so it may be possible that stories about Kukul Can reached Cuba.

well columbus didnt know it was a new continent, he thought he was in India or soemthing, so maybe he meant the Khan as in descendant of Kublai khan as the last reliable information on teh east to him was marco polos travels so he did not know the yuan dynasty had fallen

-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 17:09

I have vague memories about Diaz saying something about one of the mainland chiefs of Tabasco being the brother of one of the Carribean island chiefs. But it's a long time since I read it and I may be wrong.

Many people have suggested that Aztec and Inca goods may have made it to each other through merchants, trading on to other merchants and so on. Similarly to the way China and Rome traded with little knowledge of each other.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 17:11
I understand. But it's very possible that when a native said something like "over there's a wealthy empire ruled by Kukul Can"  Columbus understood " over there's a wealthy empire ruled by Kublai Khan", confirming his idea he reached Asia.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 11:31

*Methinks Jalisco could do a better job of this.

Actually its amazing the mesoamericans were conquered by so few spanish and so little resistance. The metal armor was great in battle but not nearly invincible, nor could they wear it all of the time so an ambush would be deadly. Also the guns weren't the spaniards weapons of choice, too often would they break down and plus the reload time was horrendous. Their deadliest weapons were their swords, which could cut through flesh like butter.

The mesoamericans on the other hand were far from spears and loin-cloths, They had a nasty obsidian sword which would just rend flesh and smash bones. Also their fighting styles were totally different the spaniards fought to kill but the mesoamericans fought to capture slaves for human sacrifices.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12