Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War brings out the best in men...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War brings out the best in men...
    Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 23:24

Let us hope that the best and evilest shall remain inside all of us and not be pried out by war.

Member of IAEA
SJI Lasallian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 08:54
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

What a load of balony basically. When you see the gut and the brain of your friend spill in front of you, then come back and say war bring the best. If you want to win war you have to summon what is the worst in you. Take vietnam for example, even the US who claimed the moral high ground has been killing babies, raping and even at time mass murdering civilians. They did that because of the horror they've seen, gradually all humanity is taken away from them, and they become no more than dogs, war dogs with only one purpose to kill as efficiently as possible.

Now again, I don't mean to define that the 'best' is the nature of the things you do.

What I'm trying to put across to everyone is that war pushes men to their limits and produce their 'best' performance. For example, Hitler 'invented' the new 'Blitz' strategy that took the world by storm and even for all the evils he has done, no one can deny the fact that he was a military genius. Hitler could never have achieved this if the war had not pushed him to the top of his abilities and caused him to produce his 'best' military tactics...

"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 10:17
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:17

For example, Hitler 'invented' the new 'Blitz' strategy that took the world by storm and even for all the evils he has done, no one can deny the fact that he was a military genius.

Whether Hitler was a "military genius" is quite debatable.  Some, if not more, attribute German military success to his generals and other military commanders, rather than to him.  Some attribute German failures to Hitler not listening to his generals. 

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:24
Hitler "military genious"? That is quite debatable.
Bad choices on the manufacture of certain weapons and gun types, the using of the 262, are the tip of the iceberg for this man evidently.
His Generals did indeed consider him a military fool. They said he would give broad orders overlooking a map saying" go here, push here", without even considering the consequences or the situation.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:39

Aye, looking at the posts can give you quite a grip on the age of the posters.

Really?  What's my age?

Let us hope that the best and evilest shall remain inside all of us and not be pried out by war.

I agree with this too.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 05:52
Ok, it may be debatable whether Hitler was a real 'military genius'... but we can't deny the fact that the ones who made this possible can also be called 'military geniuses' ...
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 05:54
However, all these tactics would never exist if there wasn't a World War II...because everyone would just not bother about them...
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 09:01
Winning the Peace brings about the best in men
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 10:55
 true...
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 11:50
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Knight
Knight

Quote SJI Lasallian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 20:40
Everyone makes mistakes...even a genius. Napoleon is widely known as a military genius but he still made mistakes...
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 14:52
(quote)Let us hope that the best and evilest shall remain inside all of us and not be pried out by war.(end quote)

agreed
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 15:44

Originally posted by SJI Lasallian

Ok, it may be debatable whether Hitler was a real 'military genius'... but we can't deny the fact that the ones who made this possible can also be called 'military geniuses' ...

Actually it is not debatable. Hitler was a real military idiot, not genius. I would say that Germany would have chance to win that war if Hitler ddint try to put his 2 cents into every plan of his HQ.

The only thing which can be debatable is if Hitler was or wasnt political genius. He was able to take Austria and Czechoslovakia without a shot. If he gave up after Czechoslovakia i guess that he would be today considered a second Bismarck. But his problem was that he didnt know when to stop so it might be debatable if he was a political genius or not. He didnt forseen his final disaster.

Everyone makes mistakes...even a genius. Napoleon is widely known as a military genius but he still made mistakes......

Napoleon was great. You can think about him that he was evil or good, you can think whatever you want about him but it still doesnt change the fact that Napoleon was great and he wouldnt even care for your opinion. While Hitler was just pathetic. Comparing those 2 one to other is just pointless. Its moreless like comparing Augustus to Heliogabal.

Edited by Mosquito
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 19:34

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

What a load of balony basically. When you see the gut and the brain of your friend spill in front of you, then come back and say war bring the best. If you want to win war you have to summon what is the worst in you. Take vietnam for example, even the US who claimed the moral high ground has been killing babies, raping and even at time mass murdering civilians. They did that because of the horror they've seen, gradually all humanity is taken away from them, and they become no more than dogs, war dogs with only one purpose to kill as efficiently as possible.

Now again, I don't mean to define that the 'best' is the nature of the things you do.

What I'm trying to put across to everyone is that war pushes men to their limits and produce their 'best' performance. For example, Hitler 'invented' the new 'Blitz' strategy that took the world by storm and even for all the evils he has done, no one can deny the fact that he was a military genius. Hitler could never have achieved this if the war had not pushed him to the top of his abilities and caused him to produce his 'best' military tactics...

Hmmm, well... he didn't really 'invent' anything. It seems kinda obvious that "catch them with their pants down and don't stop the beating!" is a good way to fight. It's kinda expected that a war stratedgy would be thought up of, and used in war though.

Ice cream cones were invented during peace time, at the world's fair. Noone had to die to make that genious apply waffle to icecream.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12