Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugen (again)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rugen (again)
    Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 05:35

Rugen  

largest island of Germany, in the Baltic Sea opposite Stralsund and separated from the German mainland by the Strelasund (Strela Sound) and Bodden Strait. It is administered as part of MecklenburgWest Pomerania Land (state)...Rgen is rich in prehistoric artifacts. There are Upper Paleolithic remains, traces of the Neolithic Beaker folk, and the Bronze Age Hgelgraber Culture (distinguished by burial tumuli). The Germanic Rugieri tribe was displaced by the Slavic Wends (c. 500 BC), whose fortress on the northern promontory of Arkona was destroyed by the Danish king Waldemar I when he conquered and Christianized the island in 1168. Rgen was thereafter ruled by native princes under Danish supremacy until 1218 and passed to Pomerania (Pomorze) in 1325, to Sweden in 1648, and to Prussia in 1815...                                                                                                                 Copyright 1994-2002 Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc

Arkona                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      West Slavic citadel-temple of the god Svantovit, dating from the 9th10th century AD and destroyed in 1168/69 by Christian Danes when they stormed the island of Rgen in the southwestern Baltic. Saxo Grammaticus, the 12th-century Danish historian, wrote that the Arkona was a wooden structure of consummate workmanship; around the temple extended a yard, and around this was a wooden fence, splendidly carved and bearing various painted symbols. The temple itself was log-built and was topped by a red roof; the inner chamber had partitions of heavy tapestry. In this inner sanctum loomed the statue of Svantovit, larger than life size, awe-inspiring with its four heads and throats joined together facing in opposite directions. Saxo mentions that not only the whole land of Wends but also Scandinavian neighbours paid tribute to Svantovit. When the statue was cut and removed, the Danes carried away seven boxes of treasures (gifts to the god). C. Schuchhardt's excavation in 1921 proved the actual existence of the temple. Repeated excavations in 196970 revealed an earlier layer of the sanctuary dated to the 10th and possibly 9th century AD.              Copyright 1994-2002 Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc

It is presumed (by some historians) that ancient Vanas mentioned in Sagas r infact Slavs( comp.to Wends, Veneds), whose judgment was greatly trusted by the Northerners.I havent found (yet) more clues...The fact that Slavs lived in Rugen since 500 BC puts even more weight to these claims.Tacitus in chapter 40 of  Germania writes about an island sacred to Germani.Now, my translation is dated 1927.(by Veselin Cajkanovic)-back then the most likely candidates were Seeland(maybe not spelled properly) and Rugen-it is also mentioned that the very name could be originally Slavic-Rujen(comp to rujevina- a plant specie; or rujno-red(dish)).Anyone got any further info on this?Btw, is there a word in German (or Swedish or Danish) that could be rooted in Rug ?Your oppinions and speculations on the subject...

One thing I find particulary interesting-in aprox. the same time Herodotus describes Budini and Neuri living in whats todays Ukraine and White Russia I found some references they could be Slavs and Balts-so were the Slavs that widespread (in ancient times)-from Ucraine to Elbe?And if the Slavs were infact living in the area of todays eastern and north eastern Germany-before the germanic tribes and later as their neighbours, they had to influence Germanic culture in some way.Now the German historians r emphasising only the Germanic influence on Slavs-sometimes theyre going too far by claiming that many slavic cultural traits r infact of germanic origin.Perun(slavic deity) is just one example-they say that its infact germanic Donner...I guess Baltic Perkunas is also of germanic origin-seems like everyone borrowed from germanics? I mean, why would that be true-ancient germanic culture wasnt more advanced or superior then slavic in any way.Infact they were more or less similar to eachother...Oppinions?

Edited by Socrates
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 08:12
Copy and paste: Source? Your own opinion?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 08:37

Originally posted by Maju

Ya Maju Socrates writes for Encyclopedia Britannica.

Edited by Jhangora
Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 09:57
Originally posted by Jhangora

It's this forum's policy that copy-and-paste should be limited and contextualized. And anyhow a source must be offered always.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 03:55

Originally posted by Jhangora

It's this forum's policy that copy-and-paste should be limited and contextualized. And anyhow a source must be offered always.

Well, I saw many threads with more copy/paste then here...The source is Britannica-I don't really see what's not clear about it.And concerning my opinnion-what do you want me to say? Ok, I'll say it...I think that name Rugen is slavic...infact many place names of north-eastern Germany( and eastern as well) r slavophonic even today-like Pomeranie.And I think that slavic culture influenced germanic one at least in the same extent as germanic did on slavic...

And yes, I think that Vanas were infact Wends(slavs)-northern kings payed tribute to Svantovit even in 12th century-when they were monotheistic( christianized)-why wouldn't it be the same in the centuries before ?And we know for sure that slavs( Wends) did inhabit northeastern  Germany as early as 500 BC-maybe even earlier.

Edited by Socrates
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 07:44
The question, dear Socrates, is just that it is supposed that all copied material must come with a source (link if it is an online source). The reasons are the laws about intelectual property and, specially, that it is the best way gfor other forummers to chack the accuracy of the copied material and maybe expand their knowledge on that issue if they are interested.

It's also encouraged that C&P is contextualized somehow by the poster, specially if it is a new topic.

Said that, I think that it is very reasonable to think that Eastern Germany and even other German regions, such as Austria, would have a large Slavic influence and that must be found in the toponimy.

I agree with that.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 12:19

I think it"s clear enough that my source is Britannica...it's not an online source-it's Britannica 2002 deluxe CD edition...anyone can check...all the citations r done properly-according with the terms Britannica suggested.

And 1/2 of my post r infact my comments- 

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 13:02
Originally posted by Socrates

Sorry then. I was under the impression that it was all C&P. My fault.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 13:15

Originally posted by Socrates

Sorry then. I was under the impression that it was all C&P. My fault.

I knew it! Iwas already starting to think about a conspiracy theory...

Post Reply Post Reply