Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of etymology of countries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of etymology of countries
    Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 04:24
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

A franka was not a throwing axe, but a throwing spear - a javelin. The traditional theory is that the Franks indeed were named after these, and later the word got stuck with "free" in the French language since the Germanic Franks became the only freemen in the land they conquered (nowadays France, just for clarification).

where you ave that from? to my knowledge the javelin was called angon and the axe francisca...

Francisca is the Roman-Italian name of the Saxon axe the Franks videly used, thereof the name of the axe. Angon is indeed a javelin (the word has Graeco-Roman origins) used mainly by the Angles, but franka means javelin (a Germanic word).

Edited by Styrbiorn
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 10:20
so do you have a source for this? thanks.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 10:45
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Mexico

Comes from the Nahuatl and means " in the middle of the moon ".

Pal,

Your country has  a very exotic name..

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 11:06

so do you have a source for this? thanks.

Any decent etymological dictionary will tell you franka is Saxon for javelin. Compare with the Old Norse frakka. As for internet sources, try http://www.geocities.com/farthegn/page42A.html.

Edited by Styrbiorn
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 13:33
Originally posted by Rava

Slavic tribes generaly took their names after the name of the territory they dwelled or the name of territory was transferred onto the tribal name. These terms: "field" or "plain", are not specific geografical names. The problem is that the closest toponym Lach /Lah/ is placed in... Turkestan. There's an interesting information about Central Asia:

The third chapter of the Chinese chronicle of Bejshu (from the beginning of the VII c.) mentions Ferghana under the name of "Bokhan"

"When describing the possession of Ninjuan the Tanshu chronicle says that it is "in fact a possession of Bokhanna, otherwise known as Bokhan. At the time of the Juan Vej dynasty it was called Polona"." (sic.)

"The compilation of the evidence in the ancient source and the archaeological data made B.A. Litvinskij suggest that Ferghana was connected with particular group of Hephthalites the "Red Chiones". [www.kroraina.com]

Isn't it wondering?

Very interesting. Can you give me the address to this, you've caught my interest.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 19:24

Originally posted by Clovis

France

France derived from the tride known as the Franc(Frank) which means bold, fearless or wild or Free. 

where you have that from? I thought Frank is the name given to them after their favourite weapon, the throwing axe?

What the hell are you talking about? The Franks weren't name after an axe you are out of your mind. Where do I find that the Franks means free or bold, from every freaking books that talk about history. Doing some research by yourself  doesn't hurt.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 22:13
Its both.
Frank means free in the Frankish language, and its also the na,e they gave to the axe which they became famous for.
Arrrgh!!"
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 04:31

Rava-

I agree with Boody4 -- you caught my interest, too.  As a result of your research, you may have discovered the answer to the age-old question of the true origin of the Polish nation.  Good work!

Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 05:32
Oops, Styrbiorn has already posted that piece of info. I rest my case  

Edited by Rebelsoul
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 05:59

Thank you Scytho-Sarmatian. I'm only a historical amateur and I'm not pretending to discover something. But it drives me mad that for years we haven't known the answer for the basic question of Poles ethnogenesis.

I would love to start a new topic, say: Are Poles the descendants of Chionites- but I don't have competitions to lead the discussion. From my side I can present the sources and relations which would support my assumptions. 

Edited by Rava
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 06:44

Rava-

You should go ahead and start that topic.  I'm sure there are some here who will be willing to challenge your theory because it is so different from what has usually been taught in "mainstream" history.

Anyway, I think you are on to something big and you should think of writing a book or something.  I'm serious!

boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 11:52
Again, I repeat, please give me the address!
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 12:49

Originally posted by boody4

Again, I repeat, please give me the address!

http://www.kroraina.com/ca/index.html

Sorry, I've been busy for a while

boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:22
Can you give us your evidence that might lead to think that it's something other than a coincidence?
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 10:02

boody4 you expect me to make comparative studies on the level of an university unit

I belive that after the Turkic conquest of Central Asia a migration of various tribes living there toward west could take place under cover of the Avars settlement. We know that about 20000 of Chionites /perhaps only warriors were counted / joined Avars. We also know that at the same time a delegation of Red Huns /Kermichionites/ visited Byzantium. Where did they disapeared?

I belive that those who can read Tanshu cronicle in the original version could confirm that the name Polona given by Russian researchers could be read this way.  

Edited by Rava
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 16:19

IIRC I read somewhere once that during the Middle Ages there were stories of a legendaric island in the Atlantic called Brasil. When the first Europeans reached Brazil they thought it was the island Brasil.
Do you know whether this is true?

I don't think they thought it was the island. As the name does indeed come from the Brasa(sp?) wood. However if you want to know more about it look up Hy-Brasil or O-Brasil, it's an irish legend.

Here's the first site I found

http://www.fionabroome.com/history/hybrasil.htm

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
mauk4678 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mauk4678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 10:54

As someone said before the origin of  "United States" is obvious.

The origin of the name Maine is believed by a few to have come from the French provence that bears the same name, but more likely it comes from the term "main land", as opposed to the many islands along it's coast.

Stewart View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 14:08

Spain, or espana, supposedly means land of rabbits.

This, I believe, regresses back past Spain's Islamic days to the early Phoenician tongue.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 14:12

Spain (Espaa)

From Hispania, the Latin name for Iberian Peninsule. Hispania origin is unknown, but derives from a phoenician source.

http://www.celtiberia.net/verrespuesta.asp?idp=2499

Portugal

From Portucalense County and Portucalense from Porto (Port), the main city in North Portugal (the only part free from Muslims).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 14:15
Originally posted by Stewart

Spain, or espana, supposedly means land of rabbits.

This, I believe, regresses back past Spain's Islamic days to the early Phoenician tongue.

For a strange coincidence we have posted at the same time and I had no time to see your post. As you can see in the link (in Spanish sorry) the etimology "land of rabbits" is very doubtful. there are other etiomologies, such as "land of the North".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>