Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Name SLAV*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Name SLAV*
    Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 11:18
 It's obvious  that is a Bulgarian source not Serb one,when i find some in english it will be posted
When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 11:34
  First texts written with Ulphila �Gothic� alphabet: It is accepted that this is the Bible, translated from Greek in the midle of 4 c. AD by the west gothic bishop Ulphila himself (in the Nicopolis ad Istrum in central Moesia (present Bulgaria). This translated Bible is considered as the first literary monument of the German culture. The oldest available transcript of the translation known as Codex argenteus was made around a 100 years later in Ravena [see e.g. E. Staycheva, Literaturen forum, 12 (2002) 496 (electronic version:   estaycheva.htm , in Bulgarian)] .  The alphabet pictures provided here reveal large similarity, including coinciding letters, between Ulphila alphabet and the Cyrillic one. ��
  Many respectful scholars, ancient and modern ones (in particular Jordanes (6 c. AD) and G. Tzenoff and S. Lesnoy (20 c.) � see e.g. the above cited new book �Goti i Geti� (�Goths and Geths� ) by A. Tschilingirov and the extensive bibliography there in) identifyGothsfrom the lower Danube and Black see area with the Geths of the same territory, and not with the German (Teuton) Goths (Gothones). In the light of this the arian (aryan) bishop Ulphila (Urphila),and his alphabet are �Gethic�. In the middle ages narratives the terms �Geths� (Getas), �Goths� (Gothos) or �Schyths' (Schitians) are frequently used for Thracs (Thracians), Slaves or Bulgarians.For example, St. Hieronimus (4c., the translator of the Aethicus Cosmopgraphy, writes about �seven Getic or Gothic tribeswhich live in the north, since Getas are called by the learned menGothos� (�Et certe Gothos omnes retro erudity, magis Getas � appellare�� -- this citation is taken from the G. Tzenoff book �The Huns�, Sofia, 2002 (first edition in 1940)), while on his World map St. Hieronimus notes �Moesia this is (also) Bulgaria� (�Misia hec et Vulgaria�). On the other hand it is commonly accepted that in the 4 c. AD Gothos (in particular the gothic bishop Ulphila) lived in Moesia. (Note that in old narratives Vulgaria = Bulgaria: the change B --> V comes from Greek, where sound B is missing, the character B being pronounced as V).

It's same with Serbian/Servian and Hrvati/Hrbati(Greek call them Hroboatos wich mean Hrbati in our language,but today they are Hrvati)
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 12:28
Instead of just copy-pasting from some *very* questionable sources, why don't you write in your own words what you are trying to say instead, since this only looks like rambling.
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 12:49
 To much for you? Don't worry,for me is to,but a like to discover. I supose  it was for historian to. It was easyer to open a  BOX with name SLAVS and trow it inside everything wich can't be explainable.

mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 12:55
Originally posted by Surbel

To much for you? Don't worry,for me is to,but a like to discover. I supose it was for historian to. It was easyer to open a BOX with name SLAVS and trow it inside everything wich can't be explainable.

Not too much, but you aren't making sense, when you just copy-paste no-one will understand what you want to debate. Are you trying to say that Goths were infact Slavs or somesuch nonsense?
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 13:08
 Give me a minute,i'm gonna post something  what has writted a great  Friedrich Nietzsche but only in German. I have translation in my language wich doesn;t help you. He sad that Gots are not Germans,so who are they?

Autobiographie
                  [Aus dem Jahre 1862] (i)

Michaelis 1861 war es, wo ich in wenigen Tagen das vorliegende Bruchstck der Ermanarichsinfonie anfing und vollendete; fr zwei Klaviere berechnet nach dem Vorbild der Dantesinfonie, die ich kurz vorher hatte kennenlernen. Es war eine Zeit, in der der Ermanarichstoff mich heftiger als je bewegte, zur Dichtung war ich noch zu sehr erschttert und noch nicht fern genug, um ein objektives Drama zu schaffen; in der Musik aber erfolgte der Niederschlag meiner Stimmung, in der sich die Ermanarichsage vllig inkarniert hatte. Trotzdem schwankte ich noch, wie ich das Produkt taufen sollte, ob Ermanarichsinfonie oder Serbia, da ich den Plan hatte, hnlich wie in der Hungaria Liszts geschehen, die Gefhlswelt eines slawischen Volkes in einer Komposition zu umfassen, da ich ferner den Gefhlsgang, der die Schpfung durchwogte, noch nicht unparteiisch sezieren konnte und nur ahnte, was ich darin ausgesprochen. Es ist jetzt gerade ein Jahr danach, wo ich genau die Stimmungen, die Wechsel der Gefhle sich in ihr drngen und stoen finde, oft unvermittelt und herbe, die die Hauptpersonen des Ermanarichstoffes durchwhlen und damals meine Seele erfllten.
Jetzt bei der Revision des Bruchstckes habe ich das in der ersten Fassung oft nur Angedeutete in schrferer Fassung wiederzugeben gesucht. Einzelne fehlende Momente habe ich eingefgt, insbesondere ist das Ende ziemlich ganz neu und seiner Wildheit nach bei weitem alles berbietend, was mir in der ersten Fassung vorlag.
Allerdings, es sind keine Goten, keine Deutschen, die ich gezeichnet, es sind - ich wage es zu behaupten - Ungargestalten; der Stoff ist aus der germanischen Welt in die ungarischen Puten, in die ungarischen Glutseelen getragen. Und das ist der Hauptfehler des Ganzen. Sodann fehlen auch den Personen jene urgermanischen, mchtigen Zge und Eigenschaften, die Gefhle sind mehr whlend, modernisiert, zu viel Reflexion und zu wenig Naturkraft. Nach diesen allgemeinen Bemerkungen werde ich mglichst deutlich das aussprechen, was mir jetzt, als ich das Bruchstck genauer durchforschte, als die Fden des Verstndnisses in die Hnde fielen.
 http://www.friedrichnietzsche.de/?REM_sessid=&acti on=11
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 14:16
Because Nietzsche is such a revered historian?
I repeat myself: try writing something of your own instead of copy-pasting all the time. It will be much clearer to understand you With this passage I can understand that you *really* are trying to say the Goths were Slavs?

And yeah, they were Germanic, of the simple facts they spoke a Germanic language, had Germanic names, Germanic customs and Germanic traditions, and considered the other Germanic tribes kin, a favour they returned.

BTW, the piece you copied is about a 19th century classical piece of music called Ermanarischsymfonie which was based on a symphony called Hungaria.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 15:20
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Because Nietzsche is such a revered historian?
I repeat myself: try writing something of your own instead of copy-pasting all the time. It will be much clearer to understand you With this passage I can understand that you *really* are trying to say the Goths were Slavs?

And yeah, they were Germanic, of the simple facts they spoke a Germanic language, had Germanic names, Germanic customs and Germanic traditions, and considered the other Germanic tribes kin, a favour they returned.

BTW, the piece you copied is about a 19th century classical piece of music called Ermanarischsymfonie which was based on a symphony called Hungaria.

Finaly someone who want's to discuss.
Much more conections we can find betwen Goths and Gets.
Slav=Got thats far away,i never say that.
 About their language...       Gots for work used word "Arbotha" I don't know how to spell it,corect me if i'm wrong, we have  "Rabota"
                                                              Germans  today   "Arbeith"
 Just a quick exampl,i can find them more. Check the link below,i find him recently.
http://sava-the-goth.brainsip.com/
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 15:54

Surbel,

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 15:54
Surbel: As moderator, I ask you to subdivide your speculations and limit your copy-paste activity to the most essential. If you don't I fear that the topic will be locked, as this topic is lacking of minimal quality standards.

As forumer: I must protest strongly about those speculations on Goths and Getae. I know that the likehood of name has given room to some obsolete speculation but everybody knows that Goths were German-speakers and Gothic is a language that it is relatively well known and... well just read the Wikipedia article.

I must also protest at your unelaborated and confuse hypothesis which in my opinion lacks of the minimal consistence standards. You must study much more (hopefully in neutral sources) and you must meditate a lot about it before you will be able to set forth a hypothesis like the one you are so vehemently but weakly defending.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 16:14
 Not even one of my sources was  a Serbian,Croat... not even one,you should check it once again.
 With another nick,i had less problems. I'm gonna remember that for the future. But you can remember,that you gonna hear maby the same as i show it today on how many facts stand the origins of SLAVS,from someone else.
 What i read,i didn't followed the western point of view. History isn't DOGMA.
 Ermanaric,LPD,DAI,Nestor,Procopius,Herodot... you should read it too.
 That was all from me!
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 16:35
Both the name Serb and Croat are found in the Carpathian basin and were likely to have been transported into the Balkans around the time of the Avars or Huns. According to John Fine's Early Medieval Balkans. Both terms were of Iranian origins.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 16:46
So you base your claim on one ancient word that is similar in Gothic and modern Slavic languages? Seriously, read something about the Gothic language and you'll know that it's a East Germanic one, closely related to the Northern Germanic branch (a fact which makes it possible for me as a native Swedish speaker to understand segments of Gothic texts - in fact it's quite closely related to Gotlandic 'dialect' of Swedish; for example the native names of the languages are the same, gutiska).

edit: I copied a segment on this from the Wiki article Maju linked to:
Gothic compared to other Germanic languages
[edit]

Gothic and Old Norse

The Goths had a tradition of a Scandinavian origin, and there are linguistic similarities with Old Norse, especially with its dialect Old Gutnish. The number of similarities that Old Gutnish had with Gothic made the prominent linguist Elias Wessn classify it as a Gothic dialect. This is a text sample from the Gutasaga about a migration to southern Europe (Manuscript from the 14th century):
sian af issum rim aucais fulc j gutlandi som mikit um langan tima at land elptj aim ai alla fya a lutau air bort af landi huert riia iau so at alt sculdu air aiga oc mi sir bort hafa som air vfan iorar attu... so fierri foru air at air quamu til griclanz... oc enn byggia oc enn hafa air sumt af waru mali
over a long time, the people descended from these three multiplied so much that the land couldn't support them all. Then they draw lots, and every third person was picked to leave, and they could keep everything they owned and take it with them, except for their land. ... They went so far that they came to the land of the Greeks. ... they settled there, and live there still, and still have something of our language.

The main points cited for grouping North and East Germanic are:

1) The evolution of the Proto-Germanic *-jj- and *-gg- into Gothic ddj (from an older Gothic ggj?) and ggw and Old Norse ggj and ggv ("Holtzmann's law"). For instance, the Old High German genitive of zwei (two) is zweio, which is distinct from Gothic twaddje and Old Norse tveggja. Whereas German has the form treu, Gothic has triggws and modern Swedish trygg.

2) The existence of numerous inchoative verbs ending with -na, such as Gothic waknan and modern Swedish vakna.

3) Gothic is important for the understanding of the evolution of Proto-Germanic into Old Norse through Proto-Norse. For instance, the final -n in North Germanic languages, such as navn and namn (name) is explained by referring to Gothic in which namo had its plural genitive namne. Sometimes, Gothic explains forms of words found on the oldest runestones, such as the Gothic word gudja (gothi, man serving as priest) which explains the word gudija found on the runestone of Nordhuglo in Norway.

But there have also been theories grouping West and East Germanic. Today, the three groups are generally treated as derived independently from Proto-Germanic.
[edit]

Ermanaric,

Ermanaric is a piece of music in this case (ie the Nietzsche-reference).

Edited by Styrbiorn
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 17:02
 Just check the Sorbs on google! They put them between Slavs and Wends are those  two things can be together?
 Wends are indigenous
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 17:16
And? Sorbs and Wends are not Germanic.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 18:26
Let's take it here instead, so everyone can enjoy it.

-- Previous Private Message --
Sent by /B] Surbel
Sent /B] Today at 1:08am

I didn't understand you what did you mean by last posting (And? .....are not Germanic)It's better like this,cous i don't want to bother others.I supose you never meet a Sorb/Sorbi/Sorby/Sorbs/Sorben/Wenden/... same name for one nation. To clarify some problems with this one-sided view, I would like to quote from the book Veneti: First Builders of European Community: Tracing the
History and Language of Early Ancestors of Slovenes

by Jozko Savli, Matej Bor, and Ivan Tomazic. This book very much
supports the opposite view, namely, that Slovenians were/are indigenous
in their traditional lands, and that their language did not just
suddenly materialize for the convenience of historians and linguists.
Slovenian has ancient roots going back to Vedic Sanskrit, the oldest of
Indo-European languages. Aside from Vedic Sanskrit, only Slovenian and
the Lusatian in eastern Germany have preserved the dual grammatical
form. This, too, is generally avoided by establishment historians and
linguists.Please read it on this link the hole storyhttp://www.angelfire.com/country/veneti/Distortions.htm l

We were discussion Goths, and I asked what relevance the Sorbs had with them.

I'm rather familiar with the Wends, and they were not the same as Sorbs. Wends were the German and Scandinavian name of the Slavic peoples living in modern day Mecklenburg, Pommerania and surrounding areas - the Sorbs were one of those peoples. I still don't get why you brought them up though.

BTW, the dual form has survived as remains in some other language and dialects of Sweden, and I do think some of the Gaelic languages still use it.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 18:40

German-speakers in Australia

Wends

Image: Sorb symbolThe Wends (also known as Sorbs) are a minority Slavic people and are concentrated in an area known as Lusatia in the eastern corner of Germany that borders the Czech Republic. In Australia they are usually known as Wends, and in Germany as Sorbs. Their history goes back more than a thousand years, but they became Lutheran during the Reformation (16th century). In the 19th century the area of Lusatia straddled the political borders of three German territories. The northern part (Lower Lusatia), centred around the city of Cottbus, was part of the Prussian province of Brandenburg, and the southern part (Upper Lusatia), centred around the city of Bautzen, was part of the kingdom of Saxony. After 1815 a section across the centre of Lusatia was added to Silesia.

Although Lusatia was part of the territory of German states, the Wends/Sorbs had their own language, cultural customs and traditional dress. Both the German and Wendish/Sorbian languages were used in Lusatia. The German language was used for all official business. Famine in the late 1840s caused many to emigrate, and encouraging letters back home from the significant number of Wends who had gone to SA increased numbers leaving. Large numbers of Wends emigrated to Texas also. In SA they settled alongside Germans and eventually stopped using the Wendish/Sorbian language, for although they could understand German, their German neighbours couldn't speak Wendish/Sorbian. Most British-Australians thought they were Germans.

For several decades now the German Government has been supporting the maintenance of Sorbian culture and language in Lusatia. Sorbs make up about 10% of the population of Lusatia, though in some local communities in the Kreis (District) of Kamenz, up to 90 per cent of the population is Sorbian. Approximately 45,000 Sorbs are still Sorbian speakers; all Sorbs speak German as well.

You should read some other books too. Your knowledge is realy questionable and thats a fact!

mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 18:51

You should read some other books too. Your knowledge is realy questionable and thats a fact!

I'm talking history, not modern day. The Sorbs are the only ones remaining as a distinct people, but originally the term included Sorbs, Polabians, Obodrites, Ranes, etc.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wends

Now can you stop avoiding the question and answer if you really think the Goths weren't Germanic, and why?

Edited by Styrbiorn
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 19:03
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

I'm talking history, not modern day. Which should have been obvious. The Sorbs are the only ones remaining as a distinct people, but originally the term included Sorbs, Polabians, Obodrites, Ranes, etc.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wends

On wikipedia,they are also called Venetians The name is derived from Venetians (germ. Veneter),  Do you at least know some for Venetians. I know A LOT,i was born in Slovenia.
 Do you know,what was the name for Wien befor that?
 Do you know,how is in German Venice?
 And tell me,are they indigenous?
 And if they are,why they still call them SLAVS?
                    Language is the answer.

Maju,you show your true face!
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 19:04
Stop avoiding the question.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>