Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoman city in China!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman city in China!
    Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 03:45

Originally posted by Alparslan

As far as blondism is concerned; it is very well known that some Turkish tribes such as Cumans were mostly blond.

Well, I would like to see some original sources for blonde Cumans

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
SJI Lasallian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 12:07
I never encountered chinese with such features before...
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 19:39
Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Yeah, they aren't, because they're part Arab.

Yeah, and you're part stupid.

I'm sorry, I've been proven wrong by the evidence brought up. I apologise, for I did not know better. I take back the offending statement that your people have Arabic blood.

That's why we have these forums, to exchange what we know, discard what is false, take in new facts and truths. Thankyou for correcting a false belief I had been carrying.

Edited by TMPikachu
SJI Lasallian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 22:59
...that's great, Pikachu. I'm sure we all respect that..
"I adore in all things the will of God in my regard" -- Saint John Baptist De la Salle (final words)
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 15:45

I'm sorry, I've been proven wrong by the evidence brought up. I apologise, for I did not know better. I take back the offending statement that your people have Arabic blood.

That's why we have these forums, to exchange what we know, discard what is false, take in new facts and truths. Thankyou for correcting a false belief I had been carrying.

And I apologize for attacking you and being so hasty against you, I won't let that happen again!

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 16:48
Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

And I apologize for attacking you and being so hasty against you, I won't let that happen again!

You see this is how it should be.  I applaud both of you for your courtesy and your quickness to appologize to each other.  If only everyone else was like you two...
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2004 at 10:19
It's not false that Southern Italians might have some Arabic ancestors, those people ruled the region for a long time. Also don't forget the Greeks of Calabria.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 17:13

It's not false that Southern Italians might have some Arabic ancestors, those people ruled the region for a long time. Also don't forget the Greeks of Calabria.

Of course there's the possibility of Sicilians holding Arabic blood, but, if there is, if any at all, it's like around .7% on average. As for the Greeks of Calabria, yeah, they exist, so what? The point is, the people of Italy are united and celebrate the culture and history which brings them together.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 17:23
Italy has always had the natural variation of tones from North to South, most countries display such variation if your prepared to look for it, even England, though somewhat oddly reveresed (darker features in the north, lighter in the south).
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 13:53
Perhaps these were remnants of Roman armies sent to Persia that wandered beyond Central Asia.
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 15:45

Originally posted by cheapfujianese

Perhaps these were remnants of Roman armies sent to Persia that wandered beyond Central Asia.

You should have read the beginning of the thread, because that's what happened.

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 05:30
Only one remark: why should the concept of having some Arabian blood (even though it actually is negligible) offensive for Italians?
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 06:42

Originally posted by Serge L

Only one remark: why should the concept of having some Arabian blood (even though it actually is negligible) offensive for Italians?

come on...don't bring it up...

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 07:16

Originally posted by Serge L

In my mind the offensive part is that people who bring this up, mean it to be offensive. E.g. if I perceive that you call me a donkey because I endure much trouble and complain little, I won't be offended. On the other hand if you call me a donkey meaning that I'm a "stuborn ass" I'll be offended. I guess that Italians are offended because those that bring up this concept mean it as offensive so they get offended. Get it?  

Same in Greece, we can use the same word (Malaka) to call someone a friend or an ass*ole! It's just how it's used and the message is altered!

Otherwise there's -of course- no offence in anyone having Arabian, or Italian or Greek etc blood in his veins...

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 08:59
Got it
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 09:07

I think you "got it" before I even posted my view.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 18:17
Very true post Yiannis.  (The one with the explanation)
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 02:52
Originally posted by Zhuang

Hmm very interesting. In fact there are also posts on this topic in China. Check the following links if you understand Chinese.

http://www.jsnx.net/luntan/BbsList.asp?TID=957 (GB)

http://bbs.thu.edu.tw/cgi-bin/bbscon?board=Sango&file=M. 1038125382.A&num=322 (Big5)

They are arguing that during the Three Kingdoms, the famous general Ma Chao (from Gansu) could have been leading a Romanic army.

Man, I dont believe that. Just because Ma Chao used tactic akin to Romans, doesnt mean HE was Roman origin. I meant during the Warring States era, infantries were fought like Macedonians: long lance with round shield in a phalanx-like formation. So can you assume that Qin (200bc) copied Greeks way of war, because Qin was located near the inner Asia, and their rise corresponsed to the Alexander's conquest, which reached as far as Afghanistan?

That was just non-sense.

Edited by Kids
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 15:33

I'd like to see some real proof of a Roman city being founded in ancient China.  Does seem like an odd place for it.

As to the genetic makeup of Italians, over 90% of the genetic makeup of Europeans hasn't changed since Paleolithic times, despite all the comings and goings of migrating peoples. 

Most Italians, like other Mediterranean peoples, are dark-haired and fair-skinned (though often tanned).  The blonds, found mostly in northern Italy, come from Germanic (Lombard) stock.  At least, that's the prevailing theory.

As for the Cumans, their westernmost expansion overlapped territories that once marked the easternmost expansion of the Ostrogoths.  That area, north of the black sea, passed from the goths to the Huns, and then a multitude of peoples who passed thru.  Could be that the Gothic genes remained in the area. My guess is that is where the blond hair came from.

Cap
JiNaRen View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 17:39
Originally posted by Kids

Originally posted by Zhuang

Hmm very interesting. In fact there are also posts on this topic in China. Check the following links if you understand Chinese.

http://www.jsnx.net/luntan/BbsList.asp?TID=957 (GB)

http://bbs.thu.edu.tw/cgi-bin/bbscon?board=Sango&file=M. 1038125382.A&num=322 (Big5)

They are arguing that during the Three Kingdoms, the famous general Ma Chao (from Gansu) could have been leading a Romanic army.

Man, I dont believe that. Just because Ma Chao used tactic akin to Romans, doesnt mean HE was Roman origin. I meant during the Warring States era, infantries were fought like Macedonians: long lance with round shield in a phalanx-like formation. So can you assume that Qin (200bc) copied Greeks way of war, because Qin was located near the inner Asia, and their rise corresponsed to the Alexander's conquest, which reached as far as Afghanistan?

That was just non-sense.

Ma Chao fought along the Qiang and used steppes tactics, he commanded an army of mounted spearmen

Edited by JiNaRen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>