Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arthur vs Digenis.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arthur vs Digenis.
    Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 18:42

Who is the greatest legend?Or they are equal?

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 08:53

Obviously I vote for Basil Digenis Akritas. Is the legend- warrior that protect the early Byzantine empire from the "barbarians" in the Eastern borders .

Edited by akritas
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 09:39

I've not heard of Basil Digenis Akritas,

Perhaps some of the Greeks could explain something about him.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 11:33

Basilios Digenis was a part of military Kappadokian group.  The Akritans were border warriors who defended the Eastern frontier of the Empire from invading bands of Arabs, Persians, Saracens and Turks. The most famous from all was the Basilios Digenis.

Digenis had two oracles. One was to die in the battle and the second was the name to be immortal during centuries such as Achileas and Great Alexander. The first oracle was not happened because died after a mysterious sickess  when the second succeded. There are a lot of traditional poem that describe the life of this warrior.

Today in Greece the people that lived in the borders we called them Akritans.

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 16:22
I vote digenis becuase he had to face smarter enemies and much more furrius....
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 13:37

Digenis is too obscure. Only those interested in Byzantine epic literature would know who he was.

Arthur all the way!

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 19:03

Arthur is easily the better known legend. This is simply because his nation's culture spread and grew to incredible heights, while Byzantine power shrank and eventually vanished under her enemies.

If you actually read the story of Akritas, it has alot of holes in it and could have been written better. There are a great many inconsistencies and areas which require further explanation.

Though Byzantine culture fascinates me, the legend of Arthur was better written and more coherent than that of Akritas. It simply made more sense and was more readable. For that reason I vote for Arthur.

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 17:58
I heard my name ? 
arthur is so much "advertised"...
Digenis of course!

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 08:52
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Arthur is easily the better known legend. This is simply because his nation's culture spread and grew to incredible heights, while Byzantine power shrank and eventually vanished under her enemies.

If you actually read the story of Akritas, it has alot of holes in it and could have been written better. There are a great many inconsistencies and areas which require further explanation.

Though Byzantine culture fascinates me, the legend of Arthur was better written and more coherent than that of Akritas. It simply made more sense and was more readable. For that reason I vote for Arthur.

I also believe that Arthur's legelnd is not only better written but has also reseave aspects from other cultures like Normans and Italian (the legelnd of excalibur is an Italian add on).

The arthur's story have been evolved through history.

There is a major difference on those legends. The englishs (or how ever they called at that time) had a need of a leader to unite then againsts the saxons invators. On the other had the Byzantines had a huge need for a warrior super-hero (something like the morden american style heros). In his legend Digenis makes some incretible acts, he fight armies alone and in the pick of his glory he challenge Death himself. It maybe heared to much but at that time the Byzantine fought on almost all their fronts....

Well that's why i vote for digenis not only because he was a great warrior, but also because that legend have a lot to give, can be much further evolve, on the other hand arthur's legeld to me is starting to become boring after those books,movies, games etc etc

That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 05:25
im ashamed, as i never hear of digenes, is there any links to this legend?
Emperor John VI View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Emperor John VI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 10:59
I would go for Digenis Akirtas.  The whole idea of being a border lord fighting muslims is appealing to me.  And from what little I've glimpsed online from Amazon.com, I like the bombastic style that the byzantine epic is written in.  Having said that I must get my hands on the book soon, so I can appreciate the Byzantine feel of it.

Edited by Emperor John VI
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:24

Originally posted by Leonidas

im ashamed, as i never hear of digenes, is there any links to this legend?

Wikipedia

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply