Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBoot Iran out of the World Cup finals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Should Iran be booted out of FIFA World Cup in 2006?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.57%]
20 [71.43%]
4 [14.29%]
3 [10.71%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot Iran out of the World Cup finals?
    Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 01:42
14 January 2006
BOOT IRAN OUT OF WORLD CUP FINALS
Call for football sanction over nuclear storm
By Pippa Crerar

IRAN should be kicked out of the World Cup as punishment for defying a ban on nuclear activities, it was claimed yesterday.

The call came as the tense war of words between Iran and the West over the stand-off escalated dramatically.

US Secretary of State Con-doleezza Rice said military action had not been ruled out.

And Iran's hardline regime raised the stakes and threatened to halt snap inspections of their nuclear sites by the United Nations.

The Foreign Office yesterday came under pressure from a senior Tory to demand that the football-mad country are thrown out of the tournament in Germany.

Former shadow foreign secretary Michael Ancram said: "What is happening in Iran is a very dangerous situation, not just in terms of a threat to international peace and security but also to the whole stability of the Middle East.

"Although I have always supported a reference to the Security Council, that could rumble on for some time.

"An exclusion from the World Cup would give a very, very clear signal to Iran that the international community will not accept what they are doing."

Ancram said the football ban would hit ordinary Iranians but would help put pressure on firebrand President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

He said: "It may be unpleasant but you can give a hard signal, which isn't going to hurt people as such.

"But it is going to at least give a chance of registering in the minds of the Iranian people that what their president is doing is unacceptable to the international community."

Some German politicians and political commentators also want Iran blackballed from the World Cup for breaching the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

But the sport's governing body FIFA said they would not expel Iran from the finals, which will be staged from June 9 to July 9.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said he was "not certain" a ban would help and said he had always taken a "slightly different view" about sporting sanctions.

He had resisted them being imposed on Zimbabwe because they would have "punished ordinary Zimbabweans for the sins of a dictator".

Condoleezza Rice was asked if the US ruled out using force, and she replied: "The president of the United States never takes any of his options off the table."

Iran threatened to block snap UN inspections of nuclear facilities if they were referred to the UN.

Iranian Foreign Minister Manuchehr Mottaki said Tehran would "be obliged to end all voluntary measures" if reported to the Security Council.

The crisis intensified this week after Iran removed seals at three nuclear facilities, including a uranium-enrichment plant at Natanz, following a two-year freeze.

They insist they want only to develop nuclear energy but there are fears Iran will seek atomic weapons.

Officials from the UK, US, Germany, France, China and Russia will hold urgent talks in London next week to trigger a meeting of the IAEA nuclear watchdog.

That will pave the way for Iran to be referred to the Security Council for possible sanctions.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16583162%26met hod=full%26siteid=66633%26headline=boot%2diran%2dout%2dof%2d world%2dcup%2dfinals%2d-name_page.html

Edited by Alborz
"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 01:52
International sports events should serve to unify the world, not further divide it. 
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 03:45
No.
I want to see a Iran vs USA game. You could use that to solve the whole issue.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 04:52
Originally posted by Alborz

14 January 2006
BOOT IRAN OUT OF WORLD CUP FINALS
Call for football sanction over nuclear storm
By Pippa Crerar

IRAN should be kicked out of the World Cup as punishment for defying a ban on nuclear activities, it was claimed yesterday.

Could ban the US and England too for similarly defying the UN and invading Iraq.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 05:32
How ridiculous is that? Of course not!

By the way, the poll choices no and football is not politics are the same thing.

Edited by barish
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 06:00
Ban usa from all sport events
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 06:46
They think Ahmadinezhad would give a damn? He would be HAPPY and it would play right into his hands.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 07:15
What would happen if the war occured during the world cup? Has any other major sporting events happened while countries playing were at war?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 08:01
ive voted for "BAN USA TOO" they should banned from all sports...
Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 08:25

no, at least usa should not be banned to play basketball.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 08:50
No.
Jai Badri Vishal
cg rommel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

No.
I want to see a Iran vs USA game. You could use that to solve the whole issue.

it would be great if that happened, but i dont think it will.....

anyway, football(the real one, not that american crap) is not politics, so no booting Iran....
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 11:51

No, these international sporting events are a place to showcase athletic prowess, not punish athletes for the actions of their leaders.

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 12:08
Originally posted by BMC21113

No, these international sporting events are a place to showcase athletic prowess, not punish athletes for the actions of their leaders.

So what's your opinion on the American-led boycott of the 1980 Olympic games held in Moscow?

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 12:17

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

What would happen if the war occured during the world cup? Has any other major sporting events happened while countries playing were at war?

It happened in 1982 when Britain and Argentina were at war in the Falklands.

England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Argentina had all qualified, both governments knew it would be suicide to voluntarily withdraw. So the possibility of the first international game of football between two countries at war since 1916 was a real possibility for a while. However Northern Ireland, England and Argentina went out in seperate quarter finals and...............Scotland.....

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 12:38
Personally, I am completely against politics in athletics. When I watch sporting events, I am interested in watching talented athletes compete to determine who is the best at the sport. Athletics and politics do not mix, as athletics have always been a place for me to turn to escape politics. I am not very familiar with the 1980 boycott of the Olympics, as this was before my time, and I have never learned the details regarding these actions. Either way, I firmly believe in the pure spirit of competition in athletics, and do not wish to see that tainted through political issues.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 13:57
Originally posted by Illuminati

International sports events should serve to unify the world, not further divide it. 

True, and what does the football players have to do with politics? They are only in charge on the football field, they qualified so they get to play the World Cup.

Cheers.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 14:00
Originally posted by Paul

Could ban the US and England too for similarly defying the UN and invading Iraq.

to ban england is a very brilliant idea. why nobody thought about that earlier ?

Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 15:59

Originally posted by barish

By the way, the poll choices no and football is not politics are the same thing.

I know, I wanted to edit my poll but I cant. Can the mods fix it by like combining the two choices together. "No" and "football is not politics".

thank you.

"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Fort Brooklyn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 16:05
No, definitly not. The football players don't want their livelihood to be ruined by the world leaders. Don't bring them into this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>